Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Ray Naylor - The Mountain In The Sea
Octopi-sci-fi - just started but very absorbing
Emma Warren - Dance Your Way Home - Journey Through The Dancefloor - essential if you like dancing with people in dark crowded rooms with sweat dripping off the ceiling
Sven Lindqvist - Exterminate All The Brutes - didn’t mean to read this -
I just idly picked this up and am now entranced and not reading the first two

iu

Finishing the first Mistborn Series now on audiobook. Really loved the narrator and it was good to re-read the books in this way. 27 hours for the last book though.....

Going to listen to Ecstacy by Irvine Welsh next.

Need to get some books to physically read too, but I'm quite enjoying the accessible nature of audio books at the moment. I'm much more likely to just listen to 30 minutes on the fly than I am to pick up a book and read it.

Just got a whack load of Lindsey Davis Audiobooks on recommendation, hopefully they turn out well

Finishing the first Mistborn Series now on audiobook. Really loved the narrator and it was good to re-read the books in this way. 27 hours for the last book though.....

Going to listen to Ecstacy by Irvine Welsh next.

Need to get some books to physically read too, but I'm quite enjoying the accessible nature of audio books at the moment. I'm much more likely to just listen to 30 minutes on the fly than I am to pick up a book and read it.
I found once I got audiobooks then physical copies simply did not get read, though I do obsessively multitask so gardening = audiobook, work = audiobook, walking the dog = audiobook. While my SO got me a copy of a book I wanted 2 years ago for Christmas and I am barely halfway through, have listened to maybe 200 books in the same amount of time.

Just got a whack load of Lindsey Davis Audiobooks on recommendation, hopefully they turn out well

I found once I got audiobooks then physical copies simply did not get read, though I do obsessively multitask so gardening = audiobook, work = audiobook, walking the dog = audiobook. While my SO got me a copy of a book I wanted 2 years ago for Christmas and I am barely halfway through, have listened to maybe 200 books in the same amount of time.
I started them for re-reads as there's loads of books I've loved, but would never have the time and energy to re-read. I do like to read a book (ebooks) for the first time, but going to try a new audiobook that I haven't read before.

Agree about time though that's the big thing. I listened to 30 minutes taking the dog for a walk earlier and only had to rewind it a few times where I'd zoned out/got distracted.

I started them for re-reads as there's loads of books I've loved, but would never have the time and energy to re-read. I do like to read a book (ebooks) for the first time, but going to try a new audiobook that I haven't read before.

Agree about time though that's the big thing. I listened to 30 minutes taking the dog for a walk earlier and only had to rewind it a few times where I'd zoned out/got distracted.
Yeh I have the entire Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams collection on audiobook, listen to all of it at least once a year on average, some more than others. TP especially seems calming at work since I know what the plots are and its funny which brightens things up. I can zone out then pick up the plot from wherever. Also with so many themes its helpful to pick up something related when somethings going bad to get a different/weird/quirky perspective on it. Last one I did was the Shepherds Crown as its basically all about death of an important person and acceptance, moving on but not forgetting. DEATH as a anthropomorphic personification is such an interesting concept and getting the afterlife you think you deserve is too, even if I am not religious.

Easily Distracted by Steve Coogan. I know it's his autobiography but it did feel very me, me, me.

Of course, it's not a patch on Alan autobiography I, Partridge: We need to talk about Alan

I'm reading The Source by James Michener, for probably the fifth time over the last forty years. I like his books, very detailed and well researched.

Ecstacy by Irvine Welsh. Listened to first two short stories and they are alright. Felt the reader oversold the voices a bit which made me cringe, and obviously the stories are over the top. I'm not sure if I've enjoyed them or not, but I didn't have the energy for the last story so I'll probably come back to it.

Decided to start "A brief history of the Third Reich" by Martin Whittock as it's been sat in my download list for ages. I'm two chapters in and finding it very good and accessible. Big change of pace of Welsh.

I'm also reading/listening to Handmaid's Tail. My Kobo was locked as I forgot my password but it's back now and I want to finish it whilst I'm off.

I've just finished Klara and the Sun. Ishiguro broke a tiny part of my heart with The Remains of the Day and the bugger's done the same with Klara. Love and sacrifice, greatly recommended.

Prior to that I read VV, or the Memory of Childhood by Perec, which was pretty good up until about 3/4 the way through and then became both devastating and deeply profound, I lack the vocabulary to do it justice.

I've just finished Klara and the Sun. Ishiguro broke a tiny part of my heart with The Remains of the Day and the bugger's done the same with Klara. Love and sacrifice, greatly recommended.

Have you read Never Let Me Go? His best book IMO.

I won't say if it'll break or lift your heart

I did a "whatever happened to..." on him the other month and tried one of his newer efforts. Yeah, it wasn't up to much. He's tried to go much more serious, and it just comes off as generic.

Back
Top Bottom