Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Baghdad: City of Peace, City of Blood By Justin Marozzi. Getting to the end of this and have enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, fascinating 2000 year history, all the ups and downs of the city and its people and various rulers. Well told, very readable and informative. Love the orange Penguin non fictions.

Peril at End House. I love Golden Era crime novels, but I guess due to having watched TV adaptations of so many of Agatha Christie’s works, I have actually read only a handful of them. But as I’ve never seen any adaptation of the aforementioned novel, I gave it a go this week, and it’s bloody brilliant. One of the most engaging stories and in particular mind blowing endings of any Christie tales I can think of :)

The Last Pilot by Benjamin Johncock. It's a debut novel that shows some promise but ultimately doesn't deliver . It covers some of the same ground as Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff, seeing the early American manned space programme through the eyes of the test pilots that were selected for Mercury and Gemini . Although the real astronauts are in it, the main protagonist is fictional.

I've got two main problems with the book. It seems too derivative of Tom Wolfe and if you've read The Right Stuff, you're not going to get much more from this.

And also the ending. Pancho getting Jim out of a military hospital?. I don't think so. And if all that is just his imagination, it goes on too long

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist, who wrote Let the Right One In . Some could see it as a horror book about a community on a small island in the Stockholm archipelago, where their seemingly bucolic life, masks the malign supernatural forces that oppress them causing disappearances, possession, murder and an obsession with The Smiths.

Others may see the book as a perfectly normal tale of life in the country.

I couldn't possibly comment.

• Haha
Reactions: izz
Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist, who wrote Let the Right One In . Some could see it as a horror book about a community on a small island in the Stockholm archipelago, where their seemingly bucolic life, masks the malign supernatural forces that oppress them causing disappearances, possession, murder and an obsession with The Smiths.

Others may see the book as a perfectly normal tale of life in the country.

I couldn't possibly comment.
Ah. You've been to Priddy.

Fabric, a history of the material world. Victoria Finlay. I generally enjoy a history of things (salt, cod) but am less chuffed at the narrators continual insertion of themselves.

Also reading Mother's Boy - by the lovely Patrick Gale. The reading equivalent of a warm bath with narcotics - required reading for dismal January.

Despite having a copy of The Outsider for a number of years I only got around to reading it today. Quite interesting and I think I'll have to ponder it for a bit.

Read One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson yesterday which was harmless fun but the fact I can read a book in a day again fills me with joy, my reading mojo hath returned 😊

I’m reading a biography of Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson, I’ve read other biographies by this same guy, Steve Jobs, Einstein and Leonardo da Vinci really does his research

Reactions: izz
The Plotters by Kim Un-su.

I quite liked this. It's a Korean book about an assassin in a structured alternative Seoul. That makes it sound like trash but it isn't

The English Civil Wars 1640-1660 by Blair Worden.

This was shit. I was hoping for a comprehensive and digestible account of an important period of English history that i don't know enough about. The author spends so long telling us what everyone's hopes and motivations were, he doesn't sufficiently say what actually happened.

Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart. The writing isn't quite as tight or dense as Shuggie Bain, and he's mining his own past again, but I'm reservng judgement for now. I think he might find the next book more of a challenge.

The English Civil Wars 1640-1660 by Blair Worden.

This was shit. I was hoping for a comprehensive and digestible account of an important period of English history that i don't know enough about. The author spends so long telling us what everyone's hopes and motivations were, he doesn't sufficiently say what actually happened.

I read Civil War: The War of the Three Kingdoms, 1638-1660 by Trevor Royle and liked it. Easy reading, comprehensive and engaging.

Just started A Line In The Sand by James Barr, about Anglo-French rivalry in the Middle East. Only 20 pages in, but excellent so far. I thought I was fairly well versed in this area, but I've already learnt new stuff from reading this.

Back
Top Bottom