Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

View attachment 345297

Seven Kinds of People you find in Bookshops by Shaun Bythell

If you're thinking of reading this, don't bother! I was given it for my birthday. He's written several based on his experience of being a bookshop owner. He's rude and misanthropic about his customers. I'm surprised he has any (assuming his descriptions of people are based on true life)! And surprisingly free with describing his staff and their experiences

Gave up after a chapter. Not pleasant. A judgemental and superior-attitude book.
I read his other book Diary of a Bookseller, which I got from the library, ironically. Yes, agree on his attitude and judgement showing through. I wonder if the whole unworldly bookish misanthrope thing is put on, which if anything would be worse.

I read his other book Diary of a Bookseller, which I got from the library, ironically. Yes, agree on his attitude and judgement showing through. I wonder if the whole unworldly bookish misanthrope thing is put on, which if anything would be worse.
It was when he wrote, about 3/4 of the way through iirr, that he didn’t know that his (much abused) part time staff had a right to holidays! He’d been an employer for at least ten years and wanted us to feel sorry for him because his employee wanted the rights she was entitled to.

A cunt.

Following watching the Netflix docu Barbaric Genius about John Healy, I've just read The Grass Arena and very interesting and well-written it is too. Describes life on the streets in London and the repeated run-ins with the law, stretches of time in prison and so forth. Much is made elsewhere of his violence but to be honest, if his memoir is accurate then at least some of his violence was in self-defence and without it he wouldn't have survived. May try some of this fiction.

Following watching the Netflix docu Barbaric Genius about John Healy, I've just read The Grass Arena and very interesting and well-written it is too. Describes life on the streets in London and the repeated run-ins with the law, stretches of time in prison and so forth. Much is made elsewhere of his violence but to be honest, if his memoir is accurate then at least some of his violence was in self-defence and without it he wouldn't have survived. May try some of this fiction.

Such a good book. I read it every few years to remind myself how lucky I am

I can absolutely see why that would work for you, my 'book to read when feeling unnecessarily sorry for myself' is The Road :D

And when you want to feel angry, watch the film of The Road and wonder how they could have fucked the ending up so much :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: izz
View attachment 345297

Seven Kinds of People you find in Bookshops by Shaun Bythell

If you're thinking of reading this, don't bother! I was given it for my birthday. He's written several based on his experience of being a bookshop owner. He's rude and misanthropic about his customers. I'm surprised he has any (assuming his descriptions of people are based on true life)! And surprisingly free with describing his staff and their experiences

Gave up after a chapter. Not pleasant. A judgemental and superior-attitude book.
Think I got this in a charity shop. Can’t check as bookshelves are behind lots of other things at the moment. May not be worth a read if it’s the same book.

Reading: The Handmaid's Tale - about 6 chapters in and it's good so far.

Audiobook:

Working my way through the Mistborne Trilogy which I've read previously.

Also power and thrones - Dan Jones: I read half the book but it's taken me nearly a year so I reckon the audiobook will be easier. It's a great book though.

I saw the doc when much younger and was hugely struck by it.

Also read the book, and his struggles with the publishers, who were cunts to him tbh.

After a long reading hiatus, I'm now reading The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage, and absolutely loving it. I watched the film a while back, so know what's going on, but still loving the story. As always, there's loads more in the book.

After a long reading hiatus, I'm now reading The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage, and absolutely loving it. I watched the film a while back, so know what's going on, but still loving the story. As always, there's loads more in the book.

What a fantastic film that was.. It didn't occur to me that it was adapted from a book. I might well put that on my Christmas list

I'm now reading The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage, and absolutely loving it. I watched the film a while back, so know what's going on, but still loving the story. As always, there's loads more in the book.
I'm now reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier , and absolutely loving it. I watched the film a while back, so know what's going on, but still loving the story. As always, there's loads more in the book.

:D

Currently on The Luckiest Guy Alive and I wanna be Yours, John Cooper Clark. Not enjoying the poetry as much as I would like but there's absolutely no doubt the man can turn a rhyme

Animal grace and social ease
In a scratch-yer-eyes-out red chemise
The picture of iconic sleaze
With a soundtrack of ironic cheese

I'll probably buy the other poetry book(s) as well, mind :D

Ruth Kinna - The Government Of No One: The Theory and Practice Of Anarchism
Katherine Rundell - The Golden Mole And Other Living Treasures
Anna Keay - The Restless Republic: Britain Without A Crown
Emily St John Mandel - The Glass Hotel
Jenny Uglow - Hogarth

A Billion Years: My Escape From a Life in the Highest Ranks of Scientology by Mike Rinder.

I've always been aware that Scientology sucks people in and empties their bank account. But I wasn't aware quite how evil they were and what steps they'd go to protect their reputation, and attack anyone who criticised them. Now I am. Their Fair Game policy allows them (according to their own rules) to ruin the lives, families and businesses of anyone who speaks out against them. It's appalling, and the worst of it is that it's all done simply so that scientology can continue to make money from its adherents/victims.

The founder of scientology, L Ron Hubbard appears to be nothing more than a conman who possibly ended up believing his own bullshit. His successor, David Miscavige appears to be a just a sadist.

:hmm: i can only assume you regretted your earnestly but rashly expressed admiration of my literal choices and thus deleted them out of coquettish modesty

It could be that, or it could me commenting on a post of yours, then realising yours was from 2008 and me thinking my reply didn't live it up to the 14 years I've clearly been thinking about it

Either works for me

My dad was a complete book fan/fiend and would always try to buy loads of books for us for Christmas & birthdays- usually those entered for one of the prizes. He died a couple of years ago & 'Power of the Dog' was one of the last books he bought for me/us & it's such a great story, I have no interest in seeing the film.

My dad was a complete book fan/fiend and would always try to buy loads of books for us for Christmas & birthdays- usually those entered for one of the prizes. He died a couple of years ago & 'Power of the Dog' was one of the last books he bought for me/us & it's such a great story, I have no interest in seeing the film.

I suspect Father Christmas may have got that for me

Back
Top Bottom