Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

atm I are reading

on paper
The Wasp Factory (again)
The Shards (Bret Easton Ellis's new novel)
Cassino: The Hollow Victory (John Ellis)

ebook
Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder (Gabor Mate)

Bit of history recently

Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe by Laurence Bergreen. It's stodgily written but gosh, what a story. Mutiny, storms, scurvy and a complete unawareness of how fucking huge the Pacific ocean is all made this a very perilous journey. Not many made it home alive. The trip was funded by the king of Spain who wanted to find a way to the spice islands and the incredible wealth that could come from trading spices in Europe. The king and Magellan didn't realise that his arch rival, the king of Portugal had been trading with the islanders for 10 years.

Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914 by Max Hastings is a much better book. The first third sets out what led to the war starting and how easy it would have been for it not to happen, if anybody had really had the will. The knowledge we have now of the horrors that were about to envelop Europe (and beyond) make it almost frustrating to read. It's like watching a slasher film and willing the teen not to take the steps down into the basement. The rest is the story of the fighting in 1914 and is a fairly standard military history. If I pick up this book again in 20 years, I'll just read the pre-war bit.

Milkman by Anna Burns

What a brilliant book . Stream of consciousness (presumably ) set in 1970s Belfast.

I can imagine some people may find aspects of the book irritating. The chapters are really long; not a single character in the book has their actual name used; and there are lengthy discursive passages. But the book gets inside and explains the community so well, though I've got no idea how accurate it is.

Combat Codes by Alexander Darwin. A book that answers the question no-one asked 'what if in the future all war and conflict was decided in the octagon by a caste of born MMA fighters?

its a book by a guy who is trained in BJJ and has a background in combat sport. While its not the most amazing prose its effective and really comes alive for the fight writing. Excellent fight writing.

Reactions: izz
The Red House by Mark Haddon. An estranged brother and sister have recently lost their mum and try to bury the hatchet by taking their respective families on holiday to the brother's holiday cottage on the Welsh border, where everyone's secrets come out.

Last edited:
The Red House by Mark Haddon. An estranged brother and sister have recently lost their mum and try to bury the hatchet by taking their respective families on holiday to the brother's holiday cottage on the Welsh border, where everyone's secrets come out.

How are you finding it? I'd only ever read Curious Incident and it's the sort of book that could be a one time success.

Caro Fraser's Familiar Rooms In Darkness. An elderly playwright is dying of cancer and asks a journalist to write his official biography. The journalist falls in love with this man's daughter, discovers some gossip about the family's past and is forced to choose between her love and his big career break.

Last edited:
Leech by Hiron Ennes. Its topping the lists of 'this years good sf' books because its very good. A parasite that been with us for 500 years on the sly suddenly realizes that it has a competitor. this is a solid 9/10 from me.

It is most definitely very dark but as with everything else she wrote, I quite like it. Rest in peace Hilary, I miss you dearly.
I didn't even know she'd died until I was discussing the book with my housemate after I'd chosen it at random in a charity shop (so that must've been some time in October). He said "She's one of my favourite authors, God rest her soul" and I was like "She's dead?! How did I miss that?" Turned out she'd passed away the week before. Sounds like she had an interesting life.

Reactions: izz
John Grisham's The Reckoning, about a much respected pillar of the community who murders the local pastor and refuses to give a reason. Needless to say, there's a deep dark secret behind it!

Marathon Man by William Goldman. That's Princess Bride William Goldman not Lord of the Flies William Golding.

It's the most 70s book I've read for years and takes a while to shake itself into a routine goodies and baddies scrap

Killers of the Flower Moon - David Grann

If the book is anything to go by, the film deserves to be massive.

It's a fascinating and disturbing read, and the horrors of the treatment of the Osage is beyond words.

Reckon this is the sort of history certain people would preferred to stay forgotten.

Capital by John Lanchester

I was disappointed by this. Has he ever done anything as good as The debt to pleasure?

Back
Top Bottom