Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Re-read Plainsong by Kent Haruf recently and now on the sequel Eventide. The writing is reminiscent of McCarthy or Proulx, especially as they're set in a town in Colorado but he manages to write about loss extremely well, so much so that I couldn't bear buying the third book in the trilogy but once I'm done crying over this one I might, this time.

Re-read Plainsong by Kent Haruf recently and now on the sequel Eventide. The writing is reminiscent of McCarthy or Proulx, especially as they're set in a town in Colorado but he manages to write about loss extremely well, so much so that I couldn't bear buying the third book in the trilogy but once I'm done crying over this one I might, this time.

I love all 3 of those authors!
Haruf and Proulx are amongst the few authors that I've re-read.

• Love
Reactions: izz
Dragana Jurišić... Her Own

Bought it for mum but I don't think she will be able for it. So keeping it myself. It is beautifully presented and harrowingly sad.

For those who like crime fiction/contemporary noir, I'm currently reading Jeffrey Fleishman's three Sam Carver novels. Set in LA, they're incredibly well written, almost poetic in style.

Eta: Fleishman is also an LA Times journalist and Pulitzer finalist - i.e. a journalist of the non-muckraker variety.

Last edited:
Reactions: izz
For those who like crime fiction/contemporary noir, I'm currently reading Jeffrey Fleishman's three Sam Carver novels. Set in LA, they're incredibly well written, almost poetic in style.

Eta: Fleishman is also an LA Times journalist and Pulitzer finalist - i.e. a journalist of the non-muckraker variety.
I'm fond of good prose, you have me intrigued, thank you 😊

It was read by a few classmates around that age, but looked a bit meaty. Was reading Doctor Who novels, James Herbert, Stephen King, 2000AD and, er, the Bible

just read Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. really enjoyed it so will check out something else by him I reckon. there's a sequel to Harlem Shuffle but it seems the paperback isn't out til next summer despite the hardback coming out this summer!

just read Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. really enjoyed it so will check out something else by him I reckon. there's a sequel to Harlem Shuffle but it seems the paperback isn't out til next summer despite the hardback coming out this summer!
A great book. I'd forgotten there was a sequel, downloaded it now.

I am on The Left Behind by James Morrison.

It's a very interesting read on how the term has been used since 2016, usually in an incredibly patronising or demonising way, even when those saying it think they're doing the opposite. It was clearly written as part of a Phd or some other funded research tho and thus very academic. Which is mostly fine, but Chapter 3 is clearly funded by a team looking at semiotics and Morrison is obliged to include and explicitly point out very possible every possible example of over-literization (saying the same thing with three synonyms for emphasis) and of intertextuality, which gets rather a drag as they're generally pretty dated obvious. He has literally genuinely just written '"...they think we're all people from Ken Loach films" - an intertextual reference to [can you guess it yet?] the films Ken Loach.'

Ana Pauker: The Rise and Fall of a Jewish Communist by Robert Levy. Stalinism, misogyny and anti-Semitism come together in this sympathetic political bio of one the leading figures in the establishment of Communist rule in Romania, who became a scapegoat for its earlier excesses, and was almost turned into a corpse by the very system she believed in, her life saved by the changed political climate after Big Mustache was found in a puddle of his own urine.

Back
Top Bottom