Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are the psychological dynamics at work behind scandals in the Catholic church?

Wolveryeti

Detty Pig
Barely a week seems to go past without another scandal hitting the news, whether it be the classic - paedophilia, or the frankly bizarre - 'Vatican Usher accused of running homosexual prostitution ring'

Is it the office which corrupts these people, or what? Are they just thrill-seeking perverts who love the idea of blaspheming in such an epic way? Or perhaps they are dominated by their urges yet remain intensely guilty about them, such that an on-off cycle of piety and depravity is the only way they can maintain sanity?

There is a very, very good documentary about this. I can't find it on google though, due to the tons of news stories about nonce priests. I'll see if I can dig it out later. Might have it on file.

I'm not sure it's very strange that men who volunteer themselves to be in a celebate environment around other men are also the kind of people who may get off on 'illicit' homosexual activity:confused:

Barely a week seems to go past without another scandal hitting the news, whether it be the classic - paedophilia, or the frankly bizarre - 'Vatican Usher accused of running homosexual prostitution ring'

Is it the office which corrupts these people, or what? Are they just thrill-seeking perverts who love the idea of blaspheming in such an epic way? Or perhaps they are dominated by their urges yet remain intensely guilty about them, such that an on-off cycle of piety and depravity is the only way they can maintain sanity?

Define "these people" :mad:

It is no surprise when child abusers get themselves into situations where they will abuse children. It has always been thus.

Any religious institution, whether mainstream and established or obscure and unconventional, will attract people who want to abuse children.

Obviously the most notorious one that comes to mind is the Children of God / The Family / Family International.

Sadly there's a lot of it about

:(

I'm not sure it's very strange that men who volunteer themselves to be in a celebate environment around other men are also the kind of people who may get off on 'illicit' homosexual activity:confused:
It's a bit stranger than you make out, IMO. I can understand getting thrills off of man-on-man spooning in a Catholic Church - you don't need to be a priest to do that. The logic behind choosing a career path that specifically forbids your kind of kink and will get you fired is much harder to fathom. It's like setting out to be a drug dealer who deals to cops or something. Becoming a priest represents a considerable investment in time and effort. I don't get why you'd want to risk that for some kinky thrills.

Imo they take those positions in which it will be difficult for what they percieve as a perversion to manifest itself because they believe it will in help them escape those desires, often it only leads to further repression and their desires may become manifest in more sinister ways such as kiddie fiddling / prostitution

Pretend weirdo/controversialist ahoy. Your ex-fuher (even though you're a white middle class kid) really fucked kids.

what?

i am neither white nor middle-class, and i had no fuhrer

i am and i do not pretend to be controversial

it really is Christianity that is at fault

And any gesture I make to you will therefore be a destructive one that I cannot ever foreclose and in a designated space.

No joy on the documentary seafch.

It was UK- beeb or C4. Called something like 'Sex and Catholicism.

Contains some harrowing scenes of grown men with grey beards crying about what they'd experienced in Catholic hands. Lot's of interesting dialogues with current priests and various other heads about the hows and why's of these scandals.

If anyone gets a bell-ring from this description, let me know as I have obviously deleted it and would like to re-watch. Google is not being very helpful

For some reason when I skim read the title of the thread I thought it said sandals not scandals. I sort of imagined a monk or someone likely to be wearing sandals in a religious context.

Back
Top Bottom