Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s your kitchen drawer’s fork-knife-spoon-small spoon ratio?

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I can accept the possibility of occasionally throwing away accidentally the odd piece of cutlery, but the disparity between the number of forks, knives, and big/small spoons in our household is inexplicable. Almost completely out of both types of small spoons whilst drowning in big spoons. And far more forks than knives.

To anyone tempted to suggest small spoons are more susceptible to go missing because of their smaller size, I would counter that cutlery is most likely thrown away when scraping food leftovers from plates, and therefore it should be forks and knives that get thrown into the bin the most often.

And why do we have far more forks than knives anyway? Statistically we should surely be accidentally losing a similar number of each type over time? Are there South Park-style small spoon and fork-stealing gnomes living among us?

I am definitely missing 2 forks out of a set of cutlery - fuck knows where they have ended up.

I have more teaspoons than anything though, I found a bundle of about 20 mismatched teaspoons in our local Age UK charity shop for £1 a couple of years ago and I jumped on that.
Lots of teaspoons is good.

Oh also we definitely have more knives than forks - we bought a 4 pack of really cheap butter knives from Morrisons a couple of years ago, so that N could have some to take to work to spread peanut butter and/or jam on bread as a lunchbreak snack, however he only took 1 and the rest of the knives are still here.

More knives than forks, millions of big and small spoons.

I suspect the lack of forks is because my gf takes the forks to work and they don't come back, but she denies this.

To be fair your food is shit compared to ours. Cheese you've no idea, 'mustard' lol, beer vom, do you even do lamb?

Only shakokabingh.

I never knew there were two types of small spoon, but I don't take sugar and remove teabags and give a stir with the blunt end of a knife.

Small spoons were disappearing at a steady rate when eldest was still living at home (the bottomless stomach + unsocial working hours meant a lot if yoghurt and ice-cream eaten straight from the pot with the spoon being discarded with the empty container). I regularly bought packs of 6 to top up. It took me a while to stop adjusting my purchases down so we have a lot of small spoons. Youngest is entering the always hungry phase so I have no doubt things will level out soon.

Very few table knives by UK standards here as they don't get the same mileage in Chinese cuisine, spoons aplenty and a fair number of forks despite them ostensibly being in the same boat as the knives.

More small spoons than anything else.
I know the value of things more than the cost.
Small spoons are used a lot when making tea, and I have more mugs of tea a day than plates of food.

Reactions: tim
Plenty of nearly everything, but all different sets. Couldn’t give a fuck about matching them though. Same with crockery.
We do not have enough table spoons though - only 3.
Could also do with some serving spoons

What are the two types of ‘small spoon’?
I only know of teaspoon, dessert spoon and table spoon. Serving spoons too, but they’re bought on their own

In recipes they talk of dessert spoons and tablespoons and others. I know what a teaspoon is, but as for the others I don’t have a clue.

In recipes they talk of dessert spoons and tablespoons and others. I know what a teaspoon is, but as for the others I don’t have a clue.
Dessert spoons and tablespoons are not ‘small spoons’ though. A teaspoon is a small spoon but I can’t think what the other might be.

Not sure why table spoons are called such as the only spoon likely to be used at the table is a dessert spoon, or a serving spoon

What about soup spoons?
I think you only get them in posh dinner sets. Don’t think we have any and can’t recall seeing them down Wilko.
We use dessert spoons for soup. Probably more than for dessert as we hardly ever have it unless children are visiting

I have lots of little spoons. They're my spoon of choice for puddings because it makes it last longer.
I pinched lots of mustard spoons from a quiz in the Great Hall of Harry Potter studios and so we use them a lot.
Also my son nicked a teaspoon from uni just last week as it was his last day.

It might be a family trait. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom