Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

What is interesting is that the first N-->S pass was a pressure increase first and then a decrease, while the second S-->N pass was a decrease followed by and increase.

What is interesting is that the first N-->S pass was a pressure increase first and then a decrease, while the second S-->N pass was a decrease followed by and increase.
Was also seen after the 1883 Krakatoa eruption (see lower plot in following tweet) and has been documented in nuclear test monitoring. I would guess you are seeing the π phase change each time the wave front converges on and reflects from the antipodal points.

The third (!) pressure signal passed southern UK this morning at about 7am, possibly compression-leading (positive, over-pressure) but low S/N means it is difficult to be certain (well, in my own data).
Likely third pressure wave signal, London, 0700UT 17Jan2022.

Clear view of the primary leading pressure edge in the Himawari-8 water vapour channel:

Last edited:
I found this tweet that I think answers my observation above. The second wave not coming from a different direction taking a longer path, but a reflection of the first wave from the antipodean point over Algeria. Unfortunately there are no Wunderground stations reporting in Algeria

Ninja'd by 2hats

Third (!)

Was also seen after the 1883 Krakatoa eruption (see lower plot in following tweet) and has been documented in nuclear test monitoring. I would guess you are seeing the π phase change each time the wave front converges on and reflects from the antipodal points.

The third (!) pressure signal passed southern UK this morning at about 7am, possibly compression-leading (positive, over-pressure) but low S/N means it is difficult to be certain (well, in my own data).
View attachment 306370
I have a similar similar bump starting at 07:03 till about 07:17, but it's difficult to tell on my trace from the atmospheric changes.

Sorry for triple posting but I find this very interesting subject.
Someone has found a station in central Algeria with a 4 millibar change:

NZ and Aussie are sending observer planes over, because the comms cable has likely been severed during the eruption and after effects.

We've got a lot of locals from the Kingdom, so once it's established what's going on and what's needed you'll see a big relief effort.

Some good analysis here, About it

Himawari-8 imagery of the ash cloud drifting west over northern Australia, carried aloft in the stratosphere. That multispectral imager is (almost fully) true colour capable (fairly good RGB coverage, full-disc, though it doesn't quite map to the response of the human eye) so am left wondering if the sequence is also illustrating the rich colours of the accompanying ash/aerosol scattered sunrise and sunset as the day/night terminator sweeps by.

e2a: Just to illustrate (from the first frame): (A) sunrise sky, followed by (B) a ash/SO2 forward-scattered morning sky.
Sunrise and a hazy day over QLD.

There are indeed reports of a spectacular sunrise seen from Queensland.

In Tonga itself (though not verified):

Last edited:
Still ringing: looks like a fifth pulse has perhaps passed through around 1900-1920UT. Might be easier to spot after a couple more hours of data collection.
Not surprising
a) it was a big explosion [I'm wondering if anyone has worked out the TNT equivalent, yet. I don't remember seeing it]
b) measuring equipment is both more sensitive and there are far more recording stations [compared to, say, Krakatoa in 1883]

Not surprising
a) it was a big explosion [I'm wondering if anyone has worked out the TNT equivalent, yet. I don't remember seeing it]
b) measuring equipment is both more sensitive and there are far more recording stations [compared to, say, Krakatoa in 1883]
a) Estimated at 10MT (comparable to Ivy Mike, the first full-scale thermonuclear test).
b) Actually the current slow-moving pressure systems have helped - so slowly varying that it has been relatively easy to spot potential signal discontinuities for several cycles.

Have now seen what could be pulse number 6. There certainly appears to be a wavetrain passing through at roughly the right times. Might be clearer in a few more hours.

The first official statement from the government of Tonga confirms 3 deaths and tsunami waves of up to 15 metres. Satellite links being established whilst awaiting submarine cable repair.

How are they posting on Twitter if the undersea cable is broken :hmm:

The statement suggested that internet wasn't yet up again.

View attachment 306606
After 30 seconds ceaseless googling I found this. https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Region...xperiences September 2016 FINAL Session 5.pdf So there are satcomm providers, but only a few people there are going to have a satcomm setup, plus they would need a generator as I assume the power is down.* and Twittering may not be people's highest priority at the moment*

Because of the fuck-off big volcano*
**Just in case of any confusion as to why

The statement suggested that internet wasn't yet up again.
It's referring to an alternate link to re-establish international peering for their national network infrastructure.

Diplomatic missions, NGOs, some enterprises will have separate Inmarsat options or similar. Some individuals will have Iridium data plans.

So it looks like pulses 5 and 6 swept past around 1920UT last night and then around 0115UT this morning. Starting to get hard to spot in the 'noise' as one high rolls away towards the continent and another slides in from the Atlantic to replace it.

There are indeed reports of a spectacular sunrise seen from Queensland.

Some of JM Turners work is thought to be influenced by sunsets post Tambora (1815) and Munch from Krakatoa (1883).
Volcanoes scale differently to most other natural disasters. Unlike droughts or storms they really can get big enough to impact the globe and change history.
Places like Naples, Mexico City, Iceland and New Zealand are on something of a ticking time bomb. An eruption big enough to wipe out a significant portion of life is brewing. Its just now or in 10 000 years.
Same but on a shorter span with the coastal US Pacific Northwest and tsunamis.
Restless planet.

Some of JM Turners work is thought to be influenced by sunsets post Tambora (1815) and Munch from Krakatoa (1883).
Volcanoes scale differently to most other natural disasters. Unlike droughts or storms they really can get big enough to impact the globe and change history.
Places like Naples, Mexico City, Iceland and New Zealand are on something of a ticking time bomb. An eruption big enough to wipe out a significant portion of life is brewing. Its just now or in 10 000 years.
Same but on a shorter span with the coastal US Pacific Northwest and tsunamis.
Restless planet.
I've got a book about their impact - not read it yet though.

Etna

6016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom