Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

That's quite a bang, over there by Tonga.
The satellite images are, well, spectacular ...
Starting off underwater = tsunami(s)
Hope that there are not too many casualties ...

When I was a kid I had this fantasy about being rich enough to invent a weather room. A bit like the wardrobe to narnia. I love weather!

99% of the time the weather here is wonderful, perfect climate but it gets dull. You wake up & it's another nice day.. so I always like a bit of weather but a tsunami warning!!!

And I, I live by the ocean! I think its a marine warning & Fraser island protects us a fair bit. I'm not sure what a marine warning is, assuming it's for shipping

Reactions: Ax^
And I, I live by the ocean! I think its a marine warning & Fraser island protects us a fair bit. I'm not sure what a marine warning is, assuming it's for shipping

Logically, I would think a marine warning is basically to tell shipping to keep out of shallow water / ports & harbours ...

... plus telling people to keep out of low-lying areas on or connected to the coast.

[I'm speculating as I don't normally look at the Oz Met Office]

Having watched films showing the some affects of the Boxing Day Tsunami and the bad Japanese one [checked dates, 2004 & March 2011] ...

I would hate to be in a small boat close to land, in port or in shallow waters during a tsunami.

GEOS West
G17_sector_tsp_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20220115-0412.gif

Having watched films showing the some affects of the Boxing Day Tsunami and the bad Japanese one [checked dates, 2004 & March 2011] ...

I would hate to be in a small boat close to land, in port or in shallow waters during a tsunami.
There's a video from Japan where a medium-sized boat is motoring hard to get out of harbour and just squeaks past the breakwater as the tsunami arrives. It sail on harmlessly, while the harbour/marina behind it gets absolutely wrecked.

Just to give an update we did get the shockwave!!!
1642279916279.png

It's only 2mb but this is from a Volcano pretty much half a world away. I'm 90% sure this is caused by the eruption. I checked other sites on www.wunderground.com and the other sites all over the country seem to show a similar event and looking at the timing it came down from Scotland, which I assume is because of pressure waves been uninterrupted across the polar icecap

Not so bad out at sea, if you can get the bows into the oncoming wave(s) - like riding a roller-coaster !
What's dodgy - too shallow water and being sideways [beam on] to waves.

Just imagine that wave coming ashore somewhere unprotected ... and it would be pushed up higher than that as it comes ashore.

Yes, I understand that, in deep water it is a small wave, in shallower water it rises up and becomes something much more scary. Hopefully people in low lying places will have been warned to get to higher ground.

Yes, I understand that, in deep water it is a small wave, in shallower water it rises up and becomes something much more scary. Hopefully people in low lying places will have been warned to get to higher ground.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be patronising.

Some deep water tsunami waves can be huge - it is just that no-one sees them. Although there are quite a few monitoring buoys in the Pacific and elsewhere that do notice these ... and they trip the warnings.

Just to give an update we did get the shockwave!!!
View attachment 306114

It's only 2mb but this is from a Volcano pretty much half a world away. I'm 90% sure this is caused by the eruption. I checked other sites on www.wunderground.com and the other sites all over the country seem to show a similar event and looking at the timing it came down from Scotland, which I assume is because of pressure waves been uninterrupted across the polar icecap
Saw it in London on a small environmental monitor in my lounge earlier this evening. Judging from the timestamped Himawari visual imagery that's about 15 hours travel time via a great circle route of around 16600km which works out just over 300 m/s - not too far off the typical speed of sound in the upper troposphere (ie it is a signal from the event in question allowing for a degree of dispersion).
Pressure (hPa), London UK, 15 Jan 2022.

Indeed. Also saw the long arc disturbance at around 0140UT here. Again, consistent with ~300 m/s in the upper troposphere so highly unlikely to have been anything but the atmospheric shock front signal coming the 'long way' round.

PS Panic in Norfolk: "huge jumps in atmospheric pressure last night".

Indeed. Also saw the long arc disturbance at around 0140UT here. Again, consistent with ~300 m/s in the upper troposphere so highly unlikely to have been anything but the atmospheric shock front signal coming the 'long way' round.

A couple of millibar in that time isn't large or that unusual even in that time scale, in fact the pattern looks similar to a passing squall line or large thunderstorm. What makes this the signal from the volcano is it can be tracked across the country and that there was no convective weather around.

Probably the most exciting thing to happen in Norfolk since the dawn of time.

A couple of millibar in that time isn't large or that unusual even in that time scale, in fact the pattern looks similar to a passing squall line or large thunderstorm. What makes this the signal from the volcano is it can be tracked across the country and that there was no convective weather around.
Indeed, hence my amusement at the level of "journalism" involved.

Nice visualisation of the atmospheric pressure signal sweeping over Japan:
Google Translation said:
Shock wave of Tonga volcanic eruption: From 20:00 to 21:00 on Saturday, 15th today, temporary changes in atmospheric pressure were seen all over Japan. The shock wave from the afternoon eruption of the volcanic island Hunga Tonga Hunga Haapai may have arrived.

Notable for also creating a meteotsunami - a separate atmospherically forced tsunami wave as well as the, more widely known, seismically driven one. A small one (amplitude ~10cm) seen across the Caribbean (perhaps ideal circumstances there - water depth and prevailing weather). Here in Puerto Rico:

and also Martinique, Dominica and Saint Lucia:

Back
Top Bottom