Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Very dull hoover thread

I don't think Hoovers (vacuum cleaners) really last very long. I got my Henry about 5-6 years ago and it was amazing. Now it just isn't fun to use even though i change the bag regularly.

Someone I know has a wall-charging Dyson and I've used it. It's dreamy. They hardly ever use it and it's still new though.

Anyone got a Roomba or similar? That’s got to be the dream, hasn’t it?

Similar. It’s great, comes out every few days has the bonus of getting under the sofas and beds etc, but you still need to get the upright out occasionally and need to manually do the stairs.

You need to empty them often and maintain them so they stay in good working order.

I've gone back to a Hoover after my Dyson gave up the ghost, lasted about 20 yrs though :D but his prices and politics bother me so I wouldn't buy another one. DON'T get a Vax, they are shite ime

It’s one of those things where the product becomes the verb. Like googling became the word for using a search engine. Every product manufacturers dream!

It's called genericide. Product manufacturers hate it because it means they no longer have intellectual property rights over their own brand, so people can make shitty versions of it and then the blame goes back to the original company even though they had nothing to do with it.

The reason I know this is because my daughter and I called Quorn sausages Quasages, and one time I met someone from Quorn and suggested they use it as a name for their own sausages, and was told that if they started messing around with their brand name like that it could be seen as them treating the brand name like a common noun, and lead to genericide.

Now back to hoovers. We are such interesting people...

Don't buy a Dyson - he is a pure cunt...and the vacuums are shit.
Miele are good but if you are an oaf who mistreats their electronic goods, Henry's are pretty robust - used in every school and hostel and beloved of builders.
My daughter borrowed (stole) my Miele so we are left with the aging Henry. Otoh, I have rolled it down the stairs many times, forgotten to put a bag in, hoovered up liquid. The dodgiest bit is the hose...which invariably breaks. However, it can be serviced and parts are available easily and cheap.

It's called genericide. Product manufacturers hate it because it means they no longer have intellectual property rights over their own brand, so people can make shitty versions of it and then the blame goes back to the original company even though they had nothing to do with it.

The reason I know this is because my daughter and I called Quorn sausages Quasages, and one time I met someone from Quorn and suggested they use it as a name for their own sausages, and was told that if they started messing around with their brand name like that it could be seen as them treating the brand name like a common noun, and lead to genericide.

Now back to hoovers. We are such interesting people...

So the opposite of what I thought. Cheers for that though, it makes sense.

I don't think Hoovers (vacuum cleaners) really last very long. I got my Henry about 5-6 years ago and it was amazing. Now it just isn't fun to use even though i change the bag regularly.
They last forever if you only Hoover once a year.

I have a Henry, I don't use it often because I'm lazy, someone told me they work fine without a bag so that is how I have been using it, seems ok, then someone else told me the motors don't last so long without a bag so I am considering using them again.

My ex has a sort of long and thin cordless Dyson which seems a bit cheap and nasty but it does suck and cordless is nice. It sits on the wall in its charging cradle thingy ready to go, it is convenient I have to say.
You will kill your motor using it without a bag. It's probably already clogged up with shit which will have soaked the lubrication out of the bearings and laminated itself across the armature. But if it's still working, get a bag on it and count your lucky stars.

A kind colleague let me her Dyson, which she said "wasn't as good as it had been".

I've never seen as flimsy a piece of shit as that in my life. The battery life was crap (and a replacement battery extortionate), and the whole thing smacked of cheap, shoddy design. My Vax upright cyclone thing feels a lot more solid (although it's still pretty plasticky), and cost £75, not the multi-hundreds of the Dyson, which I gave back, having hung onto it for a fortnight just so as not to appear ungrateful.

Surely it directs people to that product as the primary decision. Not sure if hoover make vacuum cleaners anymore but I reckon google is the most used search engine.

There are no advantages to a trade mark holder if their mark becomes generic. It means they can't enforce their trade mark registration anymore i.e. they can't stop infringers. [edit - as scifisam said]

There is also a problem with competitors bidding on Google Adwords so that a search for say "Nike trainers" brings up the Reebok site as a sponsored ad. That is harder to stop, and affects rights holders even if their mark hasn't become generic. It's how Google makes a lot of its money.

There are no advantages to a trade mark holder if their mark becomes generic. It means they can't enforce their trade mark registration anymore i.e. they can't stop infringers. [edit - as scifisam said]

There is also a problem with competitors bidding on Google Adwords so that a search for say "Nike trainers" brings up the Reebok site as a sponsored ad. That is harder to stop, and affects rights holders even if their mark hasn't become generic. It's how Google makes a lot of its money.

Interesting stuff. I hadn’t thought of it that way round tbh.

Help me.

We moved into a flat and so decided to get rid of space hogging monstrosity Henry. We got instead a battery cordless Shark. Bought it yesterday. £100 off. Very pleased. It has some residual charge, so was able to give flat a once over. Around 12 I took the battery pack out and put it on charge. It takes about 3 hours. I went to check the charge. No battery in the charger cradle.

No battery in the vacuum cleaner.

No recollection of having moved battery from charger cradle.

Options. My partner moved it. Unlikely as she is a technophobe and doesn’t touch anything she can’t understand. She was baffled by my questioning.

So that leaves: a), I’ve moved it during the grandpa nap I’ve just had. b), someone with keys let themselves in, ignored numerous more obvious things like guitars, wallet, TV, and stole a semi charged battery that fits a vacuum cleaner that is not yet a household name.

Give me a plausible c please people! WTF?

Help me.

We moved into a flat and so decided to get rid of space hogging monstrosity Henry. We got instead a battery cordless Shark. Bought it yesterday. £100 off. Very pleased. It has some residual charge, so was able to give flat a once over. Around 12 I took the battery pack out and put it on charge. It takes about 3 hours. I went to check the charge. No battery in the charger cradle.

No battery in the vacuum cleaner.

No recollection of having moved battery from charger cradle.

Options. My partner moved it. Unlikely as she is a technophobe and doesn’t touch anything she can’t understand. She was baffled by my questioning.

So that leaves: a), I’ve moved it during the grandpa nap I’ve just had. b), someone with keys let themselves in, ignored numerous more obvious things like guitars, wallet, TV, and stole a semi charged battery that fits a vacuum cleaner that is not yet a household name.

Give me a plausible c please people! WTF?
Henry is having his vengeance.

I got a 16 YO Dyson. It sucks... No seriously though, it hoovers stuff up OK but the crappy plastic body. Well it's lost a few bits. And there's a hole in the hose but I taped it up. I'm gonna get a Henry one day.

I've now got a Henry as of last weekend. :) The HVR 160-11. It's more powerful than the Dyson and still has an A energy rating. Left the working but in a bit of a sorry state Dyson with a label on to that effect, in the street. It was gone within an hour. The motor at least might be useful to someone.

I like my Henry but I do think a cordless Dyson is more convenient, no bag, no cord, no pulling the unit around behind you like with a Henry, and if you want to vacuum something up quickly, just grab the vacuum off the wall and do it instantly.

Family were trying to persuade me to get a cordless upright thing. I've only got a 1 bedroom flat to clean.

My argument against is I didn't want to pay for the convenience of cordless, accept the inevitable battery degradation and fortunately not suffering from any back trouble or being especially weedy, dragging round a wheely hoover is no bother really. And well Henry's have a good rep and can apparently be repaired or have parts replaced fairly easily.

I can well see if you've got kids or pets, 2 floors to clean etc, they'd be a lot more suitable though.

Have you tried retracing your steps through repeating everything you were doing last night? Were you distracted at any point?
It was today I put it on charge. About 12 noon. All I’ve done is had lunch, had a grandpa nap, drank a cup of tea, watched an episode of Discovery, then went to check if three lights were lit up on the battery.

I’m honestly worried I’ve started developing dementia or something. I've looked everywhere I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom