Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Very dull hoover thread

Bump!
I’d like a cordless vacuum cleaner. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and my mind was made up when Mr Looby was dodging rain showers yesterday to clean out the car.
Has to be fairly light.
Has to be good on different surfaces.
Has to be really really good on pet hair because we have dogs.

We’ve got a Miele upright cat/dog at the moment and it’s great but really heavy. And not great for a quick clean.
I assumed the Miele cordless would be amazing too but the reviews aren’t great. I absolutely didn’t want a dyson but the V10 is coming out top in loads of reviews.
Anyone got one they can recommend or warn me off?

Bump!
I’d like a cordless vacuum cleaner. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and my mind was made up when Mr Looby was dodging rain showers yesterday to clean out the car.
Has to be fairly light.

We’ve got a Miele upright cat/dog at the moment and it’s great but really heavy. And not great for a quick clean.
I assumed the Miele cordless would be amazing too but the reviews aren’t great. I absolutely didn’t want a dyson but the V10 is coming out top in loads of reviews.
Can’t personally recommend anything but have a which subscription I’m yet to cancel so could help that way.
Budget?

Probably have to be careful and not copy and paste anything.
Their top pick is the Dyson V11 £599 which is £100 less than the V10 and scores higher.
Meile cat and dog is £40 cheaper than the V11 and only 1% lower score than the V10.
Same score as the Meile is the Bosch Athlete Ultimate for £320

I like the idea of cordless, but I have literally nowhere I could wall-mount the charging bit. Has anyone used one without mounting it on the wall?

Bump!
Has to be fairly light.

My daughter recently bought me a Gtech air-ram.

Plus points: it's a really excellent hoover. The suction is astounding. Holds charge really well. Actually does the job. Relatively ethical company.

Minus points: It came flat-packed and we seriously considered sending it back because it wasn't easy to put together. Seriously, I hate flatpacks and avoid that at all costs - I never anticipated that with a fucking hoover. :D It's also really quite heavy and difficult to manage - the head is definitely attached properly but it still moves around a little bit too much. That's to get it into corners, but it means it moves all the bloody time so you have to put more effort into keeping it in the direction you actually want it to go.

However I doubt a hoover that has good suction would be able to be lighter.

The suction is SO astounding that you have to make sure any wires are several feet away - it sucked in a wire from about three feet away, so we had to take it apart to get the bloody wire out. If you had a hamster and hoovered near its cage the hamster would probably end up pressed against the bars :D

It was £249 but they were offering a 20% off voucher via their own site, presumably to encourage ordering from them directly.

I would cautiously recommend it.

We’ve got a Miele upright. Very good especially on carpets.

It’s got LED lights on the front which is supposed to serve some purpose as I doubt you’d hoover in the dark - the cat is terrified of it.
When the hoover comes out from under the stairs, the cats depart at high speed. :)

We’ve got a Miele upright. Very good especially on carpets.

It’s got LED lights on the front which is supposed to serve some purpose as I doubt you’d hoover in the dark - the cat is terrified of it.
Is it cordless? We have an upright already.

I like the idea of cordless, but I have literally nowhere I could wall-mount the charging bit. Has anyone used one without mounting it on the wall?

Mine came with a mount but I don't have the wall space (most of my walls can't be nailed into). It sits in the corner but takes up way less space than any other hoover. It charges via the main body of the hoover so you don't actually need to hang it up.

I’ve got a Miele upright already!

Fair enough.

The cordless Miele looks decent enough but haven’t read any reviews or comparisons to other brands. Miele does have a very good brand reputation tho.

Interesting article about Henry hoovers:

Duncan beams with pride as he tells me almost all of the 75 parts that make up the latest model could be used to repair “Number one”, as he calls the 1981 original; Henrys are made to last – and to be easily repaired – in the landfill age of rapid obsolescence. When my own Henry’s hose popped off his nose a couple of years ago, I trimmed an inch off it and screwed it back in place with a bit of glue.

Interesting article about Henry hoovers:

I had a couple years ago, nicked them from work when a site was closed down. Anyway bought one over here and ,apart from finding somewhere to store it, its great, love it.

I've had my Dyson 10 years and it was second hand when it was given to me. It can be used as an upright, but think the sensor died so I can use it with its tube for corners. As the new house is mostly hard floors I dont want to spend much so looking at Screwfix as there own stuff is normally good for the money.

Interesting customer review...

Screenshot_20220501-074355.png

Having gone through a month of renovations including grinding brick and plaster I can’t fault the Henry Xtra it has dealt with bag after bag of dust, plaster and sawdust and after a final clean up it’s back to precision hoovering around the house

Powerful, reliable, simple and bomb proof

I’ve had more modern dyson but they feel fiddly and brittle compared to the cheap Henry

Keep it simple and cheap like me

ETA there is a constant stream of cheap Henry’s for sale on Facebook market place for some reason, snap one up half price

Back
Top Bottom