Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Very dull hoover thread

I've had a Henry for >8 years. It is a pita to store but works so brilliantly. I have no parts falling off problems and it's great for a tall person's back.

I do wonder if i would use a wall mounted, cordless, upright jobby more frequently though :hmm:

I do wonder if i would use a wall mounted, cordless, upright jobby more frequently though :hmm:
You would. It's like a 2 minute job to grab it, hoover a room and put it back - you realise what a faff it is to get one out the cupboard, unwind the cord, plug it in etc.

A Henry here (well, actually it's a Hetty, which is pink..) - huge fan, no bits falling off problems to report.

We've been through three Dysons. They were all shit from day one, and all broke down - expensively.

I've had a Henry for >8 years. It is a pita to store but works so brilliantly. I have no parts falling off problems and it's great for a tall person's back.

I like my Henry but I do think a cordless Dyson is more convenient, no bag, no cord, no pulling the unit around behind you like with a Henry, and if you want to vacuum something up quickly, just grab the vacuum off the wall and do it instantly.

I once was lured off the path of Henry and had a Dyson for a couple of years. I hated it. It was incredibly faffy, needed maintenance I was to lazy to do, and didn't seem to clean as well as my old Henry had. I've gone back to another Henry - yes the storage is an issue, but they are easy, well priced, work well, don't wreck your back and don't need endless filter washing and faffy ways of emptying.

Another vote for Henry - my partner says ‘good industrial sort of thing’. We had a upright Dyson too which was good but we didn’t need both so gave away. We got both second hand from ‘the junk man’ so it was used before we got it & still going strong 10 years later.

My own experience: maybe we’ve been unlucky, but our last two higher-end, new tech vacuum cleaners have been massive disappointments. One of them was a Dyson, the other a Shark.

Both in the £300+ range and allegedly great at what they’re meant to do, and yet their loss of suction and inability after a few months of use to suck in even the the most undemanding of tasks, such as grain rice-sized objects on a hard floor, is shocking.

The only area they’re pretty good at is removing pet hair from fabric when you switch on the turbo rolling little brush mode, which many old school hoovers lack. But honestly, our 20-year-old bog standard Sharp machine, which still works fine but requires the increasingly difficult to find dust bags, does a far better fucking job than all the high tech fancy models we’ve owned.

I've got an original Dyson that was given to my Dad years ago when he got a newer one (honestly who upgrades the vacume). Still going strong, but the dam thing does like to snap its belt every now and then.

He more recently got one of the wireless ones that I was quite taken with until I googled and saw how much they are.

My vacuum is a Miele, some pet specific jobby, branded, slightly ridiculously ‘extreme’

I have no idea what extreme hoovering would be

"Hoover. Helping you had made us a household name".
It's amazing how many people still confuse hoovering and vacuuming. I wonder if the Hoover advertising department ever realized what a long lasting impact they would have?

They're good. Light to move around with no trailing cables and and when you feel that your back is hurting after just a short time, you can tell yourself that you're not being lazy, but are very efficiently putting it on to charge for a while. :) Mine is G-Tech but I expect they're mostly much the same. Pricey, in my view, but I bought it second-hand.

(Of course, being Scottish, I have to snigger a bit at the use of "Jobby") :D

Edited to add: and easy to empty with no bags involved.

Thanks very much everyone. We have a Henry at work and I'm not overly fond of it tbh but seeing as it keeps getting recommended maybe it's just that our work one is a very elderly Henry and past its best. Dyson can whistle if he thinks he's getting a penny from me (even though they've been good when I've used them). Will take a look at others recommended here :)

hash tag I don't know anyone who refers to it as a vacuum. Everyone I know IRL calls it a hoover (small h). I call every cheap ball point pen a biro too though.

I think the cordless ones are great. It’s always a piss about to be going in directions and fighting a flex over it.
Dyson is a good product (their fans piss on the competition) but there’s other vacuum cleaners where you won’t get fleeced on their premium price which are probably as good or better. I have an old Vax but it isn’t cordless.

Thanks very much everyone. We have a Henry at work and I'm not overly fond of it tbh but seeing as it keeps getting recommended maybe it's just that our work one is a very elderly Henry and past its best. Dyson can whistle if he thinks he's getting a penny from me (even though they've been good when I've used them). Will take a look at others recommended here :)

hash tag I don't know anyone who refers to it as a vacuum. Everyone I know IRL calls it a hoover (small h). I call every cheap ball point pen a biro too though.

It’s one of those things where the product becomes the verb. Like googling became the word for using a search engine. Every product manufacturers dream!

It’s one of those things where the product becomes the verb. Like googling became the word for using a search engine. Every product manufacturers dream!
Actually while it can at first seem complimentary there are disadvantages when your product name or brand is muddled with the product name.

Imagine the frustration for Hoover sales people when they ask a punter if they want a Hoover? only to be told that they already have a Hoover thanks, (despite that it is in fact a Dyson Hoover!)

In fact I can't think of many advantages.

Actually while it can at first seem complimentary there are disadvantages when your product name or brand is muddled with the product name.

Imagine the frustration for Hoover sales people when they ask a punter if they want a Hoover? only to be told that they already have a Hoover thanks, (despite that it is in fact a Dyson Hoover!)

In fact I can't think of many advantages.

Surely it directs people to that product as the primary decision. Not sure if hoover make vacuum cleaners anymore but I reckon google is the most used search engine.

I had a Henry at home and ditched it for an upright and I’ve been in shit upright hell since.
It’s just than bending down gets old when you are a carer I think- I notice when we do nights and we have to hoover the main sitting room everyone ditches the Henry for the upright vax even though we are in unanimous agreement it can’t suck for shit.
If you ever come across a cheap suitable upright replacement for the Henry hit us back on here as I’ve been asking the same question myself for ages.

I used to subscribe to New Scientist magazine, and they had a long-standing in-joke at the time that they would never refer to Google by name, but call it a Famous Web Search Engine, or FWSE for short. I think it stemmed from a disagreement of some sort with the company, but I can’t remember what. It was slightly amusing to be in on a niche nerdy joke.

I say I use a search engine as a matter of course, never google.
As for Hoover, do they not make things like washing machines these days?

Back
Top Bottom