Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

They should use a tennis style system where the captain/manager only gets a certain amount of challanges per game.

It was shit in the world cup and it will be shit in the Premier League. Matches will end up being over 100mins long.
I can't believe how many people are pro this.

Goal line technology was bad enough. This is worse.

There's now a huge difference between the game being played down the park and the Prem. This was not true until GLT.

:thumbs_down:

I can't believe how many people are pro this.

Goal line technology was bad enough. This is worse.

There's now a huge difference between the game being played down the park and the Prem. This was not true until GLT.

:thumbs_down:

I think goal line tech works because it doesn't slow the game down at all. It's also very binary. It either did or didn't beep on the refs watch. VAR though, you need to stop, spend ten minutes looking at the screen then make a decision that sometimes isn't actually a clear decision anyway. Also Rugby (and more extremely, NFL) are far more stoppy starty. Football matches can be won or lost on the momentum of the game. Every time you stop, you alter the flow (it's a well used tactic to try and stifle an oppositions momentum by slowing up play).

So I'm against VAR.

I went to an A-League game in Brisbane last month and VaR was used for every goal and penalty decision. It was like watching the rugby with a big delay until you know what was being given. And then theres no communication with the fans so no-one has a clue whats going on and why something wasn't given. The other games I've seen on telly down there have similar incidents with it being used for every major referee decision instead of when there's a "clear and obvious error". Its crap.

I’ve watched it in Portugal last season and during the summer and now in the EPL presently . It’s shit . Completely ruins the flow , excitement/ disappointment at a game . Might be ok if you are at home and want to argue the ins and outs but if you are actually at a game it’s shite.
It tries to sell a myth that the game somehow has to be perfect and that technology is key to that it forgets that the game is played by humans , refereed by humans and watched by humans and that humans making mistakes is part of the game. Ironically it adds yet another layer of humans potentially making mistakes in it application and even then it can get it wrong .
Add this cumbersome process to the increasingly bizarre changes of how basic laws of the game are to be applied ie handball and offside and it’s an endless cycle of stop start stop start. We are stuck with it tbh .

Yes it was. Most games of football taking place around the world at any moment in time don’t even have a referee, just as most tennis matches don’t have an umpire.

The idea that there can’t be different degrees of oversight depending on the level you’re playing at is ridiculous. Why have a situation where a match that a good portion of the world’s population might be watching can be decided by an official’s error that can be seen by everyone tuning in and easily overturned?

Sport should not be about ‘luck’, it should be about talent, organisation and work rate. The role of luck should be minimised as much as possible.

Yes of course but they are part of the game as are the supporters who never seem to be consulted .
Why should a result be determined by the mistake of a referee though? The whole point of having any form of officiating is to provide a higher degree of objectivity!

The fans were consulted. The FA do all sorts of market research. As do the LTA, ICC, NFL, etc.

Why should a result be determined by the mistake of a referee though? The whole point of having any form of officiating is to provide a higher degree of objectivity!

The fans were consulted. The FA do all sorts of market research. As do the LTA, ICC, NFL, etc.
I think the line the VAR doesnt make mistakes is fraught with danger pal tbh. The feedback in Portugal after some decisions led to their League Cup Final having two VARs and there were many who still think that the penalty decision made with two VARs was wrong. The winning penalty in the Super Cup last week wasnt subject to VAR but the keeper was a yard or more of his line. I'm sure for some of those who watch endless replays at home its a fairly interesting debating point but at games its ruining football. Part of football is that results are determined by mistakes Henry's handball that stopped Ireland from qualifying, Spurs being denied a goal that even Man Utds keeper Caroll said was a yard across the line, Lampard in the World Cup in South Africa etc. I'll take your word that supporters were consulted but I'll tell you what lets consult the fans at the end of the season over the changes to how the law applies and VAR and see what the result is .

I think the line the VAR doesnt make mistakes is fraught with danger pal tbh. The feedback in Portugal after some decisions led to their League Cup Final having two VARs and there were many who still think that the penalty decision made with two VARs was wrong. The winning penalty in the Super Cup last week wasnt subject to VAR but the keeper was a yard or more of his line. I'm sure for some of those who watch endless replays at home its a fairly interesting debating point but at games its ruining football. Part of football is that results are determined by mistakes Henry's handball that stopped Ireland from qualifying, Spurs being denied a goal that even Man Utds keeper Caroll said was a yard across the line, Lampard in the World Cup in South Africa etc. I'll take your word that supporters were consulted but I'll tell you what lets consult the fans at the end of the season over the changes to how the law applies and VAR and see what the result is .
Mistakes will still be made, particularly in the short term, but the point is that they will be minimised which is a good thing. The Henry handball and the Lampard/Spurs goal incidents were obvious errors that spoilt rather than enhanced the game. The Henry incident, like many other controversial incidents over the years, led to a long delay in the game anyway so VAR probably wouldn’t have delayed the game any further.

It seems strange to suggest that VAR doesn’t work because some incidents slip through the net. Surely that’s the precise reason it’s required; to get rid of the mistakes made by officials.

As for the match-going experience, I do agree that that will be altered but I think people will get used to it. Besides, it’s not as if everybody in the ground has always known what’s going on out on the pitch; I’ve never been to a game without an incident where people are going ‘what the fuck happened there’ to each other. Half the time people don’t even know who scored a goal until it’s announced on the PA so let’s not pretend that the collective confusion of football fans is something that’s arrived with VAR!

I don't like it breaking the game up.

We had the goal by Brighton disallowed yesterday, which was correct. But also a penalty shout on Antonio that looked nailed on in slow mo but wasn't given.

So it's not removing any contention, just reducing some of it.

The only advantage I can see is removing some of the bias towards the bigger teams.

Mistakes will still be made, particularly in the short term, but the point is that they will be minimised which is a good thing. The Henry handball and the Lampard/Spurs goal incidents were obvious errors that spoilt rather than enhanced the game. The Henry incident, like many other controversial incidents over the years, led to a long delay in the game anyway so VAR probably wouldn’t have delayed the game any further.

It seems strange to suggest that VAR doesn’t work because some incidents slip through the net. Surely that’s the precise reason it’s required; to get rid of the mistakes made by officials.

As for the match-going experience, I do agree that that will be altered but I think people will get used to it. Besides, it’s not as if everybody in the ground has always known what’s going on out on the pitch; I’ve never been to a game without an incident where people are going ‘what the fuck happened there’ to each other. Half the time people don’t even know who scored a goal until it’s announced on the PA so let’s not pretend that the collective confusion of football fans is something that’s arrived with VAR!
VAR is awful for the match going fan. This 5 Live caller explains it better than I can, but it boils down to the fact that you just can't celebrate any goal now without the thought at the back of your head that it could be ruled out minutes afterwards.

I don't like it breaking the game up.

We had the goal by Brighton disallowed yesterday, which was correct. But also a penalty shout on Antonio that looked nailed on in slow mo but wasn't given.

So it's not removing any contention, just reducing some of it.

The only advantage I can see is removing some of the bias towards the bigger teams.

It might be a coincidence but in 1984-85 the referees for matches for Serie A were randomly drawn .Hellas Verona won the the league that season, not Juventus, Inter, Milan, Roma or Sampadoria . Serie A has never used randomly drawn referees since.

Are they deliberately trying to discredit it?
See also the Napoli v Fiorentina penalties. An attacker kneeing the ball at a defender's arm from 1 inch away and a dive. I knew the Italians would make the most of the new handball rules.

I was a fan of VAR, I thought they just needed to get the pacing right to make it ok for fans.

However, I dont like the way its been done so far. It looks like a lack of confidence, unwillingness to contradict the referee and erring on the side of the ridiculous are the order of the day. Certainly at the start of the season it looked like the one thing they were confident in using it for was extreme offside rule pedantry. Everything else still seems to be the usual lottery with no shortage of head-scratching. It will also generate more debate about what counts as a horror tackle and the appropriate punishments, another area where it seems to have been applied in a pathetic manner so far.

I suppose I might hope that after a few months of pundit outrage and piss taking, the powers that be might find the most suitable and sensible thresholds for a range of offences. Otherwise we are in for a long season of Video Assisted Ridicule.

Back
Top Bottom