Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

USB-C will be mandatory on all phones sold in the EU by end of 2024

And if you can already do it over USB C then what's the problem?
Video output is less capable over USB-C to thunderbolt as an example.

My point is you can't tell everyone to use one type of cable because stuff moves on and a new more capable cable may come along that can provide better features. It's a bit like saying everyone should use CAT5e cables for networking so we don't chuck all the old ones away. But then along comes 10Gb ethernet and we can't upgrade because the EU told us not to. It's a good idea from an environmental point of view but it does 'stifle innovation' sadly.

Less worried about USB C cables, but the Commission is moving onto wireless charging next which is where we could still see innovation.

Video output is less capable over USB-C to thunderbolt as an example.

My point is you can't tell everyone to use one type of cable because stuff moves on and a new more capable cable may come along that can provide better features. It's a bit like saying everyone should use CAT5e cables for networking so we don't chuck all the old ones away. But then along comes 10Gb ethernet and we can't upgrade because the EU told us not to. It's a good idea from an environmental point of view but it does 'stifle innovation' sadly.
What about Bluetooth? Or the WiFi capability of mobile phones? If you're wanting higher data capacity or speed that's probably the better way to go rather than trying to stick it down a cable. So using a USB C cable to charge the phone up you're not stifling innovation at all.

I think it's actually a bad idea from an environmental POV. Currently phones use either USB-C or lightning cables. This legislation guarantees that million of lightning cables will be trashed before the end of their useful life. Sure this might have happened anyway as Apple was expected to move phones to USB-C at some point despite this legislation, but this just guarantees it.

What are the benefits? It's not like there are dozens of types of phone power cable in use at the moment? What waste will this prevent exactly?

What annoys me when it comes to European power cables are all the appliances I've received in the UK with a Euro 2-pin power lead which has gone straight in the bin. They should have acted to stop that nonsense a long time ago.

What about Bluetooth? Or the WiFi capability of mobile phones? If you're wanting higher data capacity or speed that's probably the better way to go rather than trying to stick it down a cable. So using a USB C cable to charge the phone up you're not stifling innovation at all.
We are a long way from getting pro quality video and audio from bluetooth or WiFi I'm afraid (unless you are using some other fancy protocols, which most phones don't support).

What annoys me when it comes to European power cables are all the appliances I've received in the UK with a Euro 2-pin power lead which has gone straight in the bin. They should have acted to stop that nonsense a long time ago.
In my experience you have an option of an EU or UK variant which comes with the relevant plug. If you've ordered the wrong variant that's not the EU's fault. :p

We are a long way from getting pro quality video and audio from bluetooth or WiFi I'm afraid (unless you are using some other fancy protocols, which most phones don't support).
Surely you'd use a high-spec desktop/laptop for such high end work, and the EU is making no restrictions as to what other ports those devices may have.

But the cable won't!
I must have missed the bit where the EU legislation says that all chargers must be USB-C and absolutely nothing can ever change from then on forever. Mind you, I'm still struggling to find out all these terrible shortcomings I'm supposedly suffering from having one charger that can charge all my devices when I go away.

As for boxes of chargers, I've got fucking shitloads of ones for various devices, just about all of which could have used the USB-C standard had it been introduced.

I must have missed the bit where the EU legislation says that all chargers must be USB-C and absolutely nothing can ever change from then on forever.
But it will be up to the EU to say yes when the tech companies want to change it.

Governments are not the people to control technology. It never works.

They don't appear to have done too well on lowering waste by introducing one standardised charger for portable gadgets over the past two decades though, do they?
Eh? It's not their job.

They've done a brilliant job with standardisation of wireless and wired ethernet protocols though.

But it will be up to the EU to say yes when the tech companies want to change it.

Governments are not the people to control technology. It never works.
If you can get 4k TV over the internet why can't you get it over wi-fi? So why would you need a cable for pro video work if software or a hardware tweak could allow you to do it over wi-fi instead and just use the USB C cable for charging.

You can still have innovation even if the socket is fixed as USB C.

If you can get 4k TV over the internet why can't you get it over wi-fi? So why would you need a cable for pro video work if software or a hardware tweak could allow you to do it over wi-fi instead and just use the USB C cable for charging.

You can still have innovation even if the socket is fixed as USB C.

The 4k netflix stream you watch over Wi Fi is different to unprocessed footage by a magnitude. Whilst modern WiFi can be very fast, where it still falls down is in higher density environments.

I think USB C is great, but legislation to impose it is some years to late. It's only really that and lightening left anyway.

The 4k netflix stream you watch over Wi Fi is different to unprocessed footage by a magnitude. Whilst modern WiFi can be very fast, where it still falls down is in higher density environments.

I think USB C is great, but legislation to impose it is some years to late. It's only really that and lightening left anyway.
…and the micro USB on your kindle and camera

Good article here:

Apple is by far the largest technology company in the world. While everyone would like their product to be compatible with Apple, it wants exclusivity. Thus, the main risk of the new regulation may not be to hinder innovation in general, but to block new exclusive Apple designs.

As such, the EU has chosen the collective gain of a common standard versus the benefit some consumers may derive from the exclusivity of Apple products. Other regulators might care more about not hurting Apple’s profits, but the EU seems to believe that this point is irrelevant to the welfare of European citizens.

In the case of the common charger, the direct risk to innovation is probably minimal and consumers should be fairly happy with the new rules. The underlying issue is actually democratic: standards are often set by the regulators that act first. Others must then watch markets develop from the sidelines.

And here's the benefits:
the EU directive estimates moving entirely to USB-C will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by around 180ktCO2e, material use by about 2,600 tons, and e-waste by 980 tons every year.

Back
Top Bottom