Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

USB-C will be mandatory on all phones sold in the EU by end of 2024

We're not but it's highly unlikely Apple are going to offer a Brexit-powered UK-only non-USB-C charger when all of Europe has switched to a more convenient (for consumers, not Apple) version.
But what sort of cable does the rest of the world use for Apple products? If it is just the EU insisting on this change, might Apple retain their own cable for the USA, for example, so that it would be easy enough for this to be retained in the UK as well?

No because we use different frequencies. It would be like trying to pick up a FM radio station on an AM radio. :(
That's just a chip change to facilitate that though. A change in connector is a chip change, a case change, a driver change and a change of all the peripherals, cases and adaptors that use the lightning connector to being USB-C compatible. If they are forced to change in one very big territory, it would make no sense to not change it everywhere.

Every pair of earphones I've ever tried have sounded like tinny pieces of shit. Even the expensive ones.
Sounds like you’re not putting them in properly.

Tiny speaker drivers are perfectly capable of reproducing low frequencies. What’s important is getting a good seal in your ear canal, otherwise you’re asking that little driver to move too much air.

Think of it this way - a stadium needs massive subs with fuckloads of power because they need to physically move a lot of air. If you can seal the driver into the tiny space in your ear it only has to move a teeny bit of air, so doesn’t need a big driver or power level.

Put it like this - I have a set of IEM’s that cram 6 drivers in each ear, and go down to 10Hz, which is way below anything you’ll find on a commercially released CD.

That's just a chip change to facilitate that though. A change in connector is a chip change, a case change, a driver change and a change of all the peripherals, cases and adaptors that use the lightning connector to being USB-C compatible. If they are forced to change in one very big territory, it would make no sense to not change it everywhere.
Much more than just a chip change. It's all the associated components within the receiver and transmitter circuits.

No because we use different frequencies. It would be like trying to pick up a FM radio station on an AM radio. :(
but your European iPhone works just fine on holiday in the USA....and vice versa...many years ago Chile and South Korea were outliers, but all phones seem to work pretty much anywhere now.

An editorial in the Economist this week agreeing with how crap this is, mainly because it’s not a mature technology. For example Apple have a patent for a connector that allows phones to be made more waterproof, which obviously now they won’t bother with.

If the EU had implemented this plan when first proposed we’d probably be using mini-USB, as micro-USB hadn’t been introduced yet.

USB-C is utter shite if you’re used to MagSafe. Even Apple have seen the error of their ways and brought it back.

Expensive if you want a replacement, but that's Apple.

It's quite cool using the same charger for your phone and laptop. Can a Mac have both? Like on my Dell I use the same port for power in or running a display.

An editorial in the Economist this week agreeing with how crap this is, mainly because it’s not a mature technology. For example Apple have a patent for a connector that allows phones to be made more waterproof, which obviously now they won’t bother with.

If the EU had implemented this plan when first proposed we’d probably be using mini-USB, as micro-USB hadn’t been introduced yet.
How much more waterproof than some existing phones exactly?

USB-C is utter shite if you’re used to MagSafe. Even Apple have seen the error of their ways and brought it back.
Explain to me the terrible shortcomings of USB-C for the vast majority of users?
When I go on tour, I just take one USB charger that can charge my laptop, watch, phone, earphones, portable fan and camera. Sure beats the bag full of chargers I used to need (and often forget).

Explain to me the terrible shortcomings of USB-C for the vast majority of users?
When I go on tour, I just take one USB charger that can charge my laptop, watch, phone, earphones, portable fan and camera. Sure beats the bag full of chargers I used to need (and often forget).
Leaving aside the utterly confusing mess that is USB-C standards, I’ve lost count of the times my laptop has been saved from being sent flying by the MagSafe connector doing what it was designed to do. It’s just one of those design ideas that’s so ridiculously simple.

Leaving aside the utterly confusing mess that is USB-C standards, I’ve lost count of the times my laptop has been saved from being sent flying by the MagSafe connector doing what it was designed to do. It’s just one of those design ideas that’s so ridiculously simple.
Strangely enough, every USB-C device I've ever used has worked/charged just fine so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be confused by. And there's plenty of USB-C MagSafe adapters/alternatives/bodges if it's so vitally important to you (FYI amount of times I've sent my laptops flying with USB-C leads = 0).

You’re missing the point. There wouldn’t have been USB-C if the EU had got their way and frozen us at mini-USB in 2006. Maybe you would have been perfectly happy with that, but the point is if innovation is halted you’ll never know how you might have benefited from future improvements.

You’re missing the point. There wouldn’t have been USB-C if the EU had got their way and frozen us at mini-USB in 2006. Maybe you would have been perfectly happy with that, but the point is if innovation is halted you’ll never know how you might have benefited from future improvements.
100% pointless, wild conjecture.

Not sure lack of improvement in a power connector is much to worry about.

Thankfully people have worried about it over the last 25 years, and the EU have let them, and we're not charging smartphones via kettle leads. Maybe in another 25 years without the EU's intervention, people will see a need to charge devices through their fibre-optic data cables, or some other seemingly unlikely scenario we can't conceive of now.

Strangely enough, every USB-C device I've ever used has worked/charged just fine so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be confused by. And there's plenty of USB-C MagSafe adapters/alternatives/bodges if it's so vitally important to you (FYI amount of times I've sent my laptops flying with USB-C leads = 0).

Dell's are definitely fussy about which USB C charger you use.

If all they did was power then yeah, we could have stuck with USB micro. But they are used for all wired connectivity into the phone so they need to get better as phones abilities increase.
But are there other ways to do that unlike recharging?

I needed to get a photo off my phone onto my pc the other day and forgot the USB C lead detached from the charger so I emailed the photo from my phone to myself and opened it on my pc. You can't email power to yourself. :hmm:

So buy the right one for the Dell and it'll almost certainly work for everything else.

Well yes. I think USB C is great btw. I'm just saying that there are issues around it.

I get that the charger needs to deliver a certain amount of power. There's plenty of people I know who wouldn't.

But are there other ways to do that unlike recharging?

I needed to get a photo off my phone onto my pc the other day and forgot the USB C lead detached from the charger so I emailed the photo from my phone to myself and opened it on my pc. You can't email power to yourself. :hmm:
Yeah but there are lots of other things you can do over the cable. There are loads of music things you can do on an iPad with adapters and cables for instance.

Back
Top Bottom