Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

USB-C will be mandatory on all phones sold in the EU by end of 2024

Latest WiFi (802.11ax) handles 2.4 Gbps max which works out at 18 gigabytes per minute so not a problem.
As long as your device supports all the spatial streams, 160mhz channels, there are no other devices around, your ap supports 10gbe or bonded 1gbps connections, no other aps are broadcasting and there is no interference. And even then you'll be lucky.

That's where innovation comes in to improve WiFi which is what I said earlier. Changing to USB C doesn't alter that and it's only for new devices they aren't going to insist that existing devices are altered to USB C which would almost certainly mean having to change the main circuit board.

This writer is excited by the arrival of enforced USB-C charging

Why is Apple's enforced ditching of Lightning for USB-C something you should be excited about? Several reasons, including potentially snappier charging (which will only improve with the arrival of USB-C 2.1) and improved data transmission speeds, because USB-C provides a higher power delivery rate than Lightning and delivers a speedier charge under the same voltage.

If that's all you need to know about data transfer, move to the audio paragraphs below, friend! But if you want to get to the nitty-gritty of USB-C's power-handling, strap in: Lightning supports a maximum current of 2.4A, but USB-C carries 3A with support for up to 5A, because Lightning devices transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds, which is 480Mbps, while USB-C can currently transfer data at USB 3.0 (using protocol USB 3.1 Gen 1) speeds of 5Gbps. All of which basically means less time waiting and more time enjoying. Plus, it's a more universal, brand agnostic, durable charger.

USB-C chargers basically mean much easier access to 24-bit hi-res audio.

But let's step back a sec. High-resolution audio is specified as any file that has been mastered above CD quality bit-rate and sampling frequency, at 16-bit/44.1kHz. Common hi-res combos here are 24-bit/96 kHz, aka the maximum resolution of Apple Music's Lossless tier, and 24-bit/192kHz – where Apple Music's Hi-Res Lossless offering maxes out.

The thing is, to have at these Hi-Res Lossless files (which, let's not forget, Apple gave to its Apple Music subscribers at no extra cost just over a year ago) on your iPhone, you currently need an elaborate wired system of components commencing with the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter (which is limited to 24-bit/48kHz) then a third-party portable DAC to get you up to resolution, then a set of good wired headphones. Not exactly a svelte setup.

Why the DAC outsourcing? The onboard digital-to-analogue converter nestling in even Apple's most recent iPhone 13 lineup cannot support those top-tier hi-res files – so you need another, better, external one to do the heavy lifting.

Attachments

• 1657632731842.png
    1657632731842.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 6
I enjoyed monitoring the live pressure using my iPhone today, accurate to within 0.1 mbar.

The iPhone's barometer is located where the headphone jack used to go in. I wonder what could have been incorporated into the space created by the charging solutions that might have replaced USB-C/Lightning if the EU hadn't strongly incentivized companies not to bother.

I enjoyed monitoring the live pressure using my iPhone today, accurate to within 0.1 mbar.

The iPhone's barometer is located where the headphone jack used to go in. I wonder what could have been incorporated into the space created by the charging solutions that might have replaced USB-C/Lightning if the EU hadn't strongly incentivized companies not to bother.
What a truly weird argument.

That's rubbish and you know it. Some high end phones are capable of very high quality playback.

Oh technically they’re extremely capable, but that doesn’t mean anyone using one is going to hear the difference. The vast majority of people can’t distinguish between a well encoded mp3 and a CD, never mind any sonic difference from a higher spec file. Add in the headphones/speakers likely used with a phone, then further add the sort of listening environment they’d be in and it all starts looking a bit pointless.

It’s a bit like the megapixel wars with cameras, or ever increasing pixel density on phone screens. Yes, all technically very impressive, but you get to a point where nobody actually needs it.

Oh technically they’re extremely capable, but that doesn’t mean anyone using one is going to hear the difference. The vast majority of people can’t distinguish between a well encoded mp3 and a CD, never mind any sonic difference from a higher spec file. Add in the headphones/speakers likely used with a phone, then further add the sort of listening environment they’d be in and it all starts looking a bit pointless.

It’s a bit like the megapixel wars with cameras, or ever increasing pixel density on phone screens. Yes, all technically very impressive, but you get to a point where nobody actually needs it.
I'm sure the vast majority won't tell the difference, but there's plenty who will, and they'll be more than happy to have the option of superior audio.

Not really sure why you're trying to dismiss it out of hand so readily, tbh.

I'm sure the vast majority won't tell the difference, but there's plenty who will, and they'll be more than happy to have the option of superior audio.

Not really sure why you're trying to dismiss it out of hand so readily, tbh.
I’m not dismissing the tech, just questioning the actual real world need for it.

Demand and need are very different things.
Jesus. OK, so you really don't think there's any need from anyone, anywhere to be able to enjoy for high res audio on phones?

I'm too old for it to make any difference, but if I was younger and had the spare dosh I'd absolutely splash out for a decent phone and some great headphones so I could enjoy high quality audio on the move. Why the fuck wouldn't I?

How much did you pay for your earphones and phone?

You’re simultaneously missing and making my point for me - anyone listening to music on headphones whilst “on the move” isn’t going to hear any difference.

Hi res audio in a nice room on a decent hifi/studio monitors is absolutely a good thing. But nobody with that sort of setup is going to be using a phone as the source.

Again, the tech is fabulous. That they can cram it into phones is a marvel. But it’s completely pointless.

You’re simultaneously missing and making my point for me - anyone listening to music on headphones whilst “on the move” isn’t going to hear any difference.

Hi res audio in a nice room on a decent hifi/studio monitors is absolutely a good thing. But nobody with that sort of setup is going to be using a phone as the source.

Again, the tech is fabulous. That they can cram it into phones is a marvel. But it’s completely pointless.
'On the move' can mean sat in a waiting room. Or working in a quiet office. Or lying on a beach. Or on a train.

To suggest that no one would hear any difference is utter bollocks.

You really don't think there's any demand at all for high res audio on phones?
Ooookay.

I dunno, when I think about the sort of crap most who are young enough to still have the hearing range to appreciate this pro-audio actually listen to, then I agree with that bee bloke..utterly fucking pointless

I dunno, when I think about the sort of crap most who are young enough to still have the hearing range to appreciate this pro-audio actually listen to, then I agree with that bee bloke..utterly fucking pointless

Old person is old. :)

Back
Top Bottom