Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unpopular Bands - An Amnesty

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
I see people slagging of Pop Will Eat Itself on another thread. Not having it :mad:

One of my favorite bands back in the day. It hasn't dated well mind you but their last two albums before they split in the 90s were fucking great.

Also The Mission. They were the second band I ever saw live (siouxsie being the first) and the second time I saw them at the LA on Tottenham Court road goes down as one of my favorite ever gigs solely because the energy coming off the stage was something else.

I see people slagging of Pop Will Eat Itself on another thread. Not having it :mad:

One of my favorite bands back in the day. It hasn't dated well mind you but their last two albums before they split in the 90s were fucking great.

Also The Mission. They were the second band I ever saw live (siouxsie being the first) and the second time I saw them at the LA on Tottenham Court road goes down as one of my favorite ever gigs solely because the energy coming off the stage was something else.

Like both bands, but does it really matter what others think of them? Admittedly it irritated me, when much younger, when it was the thing to slag off goth and berate The Mission for being a Led Zeppelin rip-off.

But that actually made me more appreciative of Led Zeppelin. And so what if Wayne and co. were paying homage to the band? Zep themselves were influenced by the delta blues and it showed.

My adoration for Alan Moore was what turned me on to PWEI, but only own one of theirs albums bought much later.

I love The Mission.
I feel Wayne has many demons which he will forever battle unfortunately, but the upside of that shows a deep and sensitive soul, and that comes through strongly in his lyrics :)

I remember thinking their early singles were acceptable, fuzzy guitars, indie pop. I wasn't mad into them though and generally gave them a swerve because of their comedy anorak jangle lollypop name.
I hated the love missile cover but was actually quite fond of Beaver Patrol and the rest of that album . . . though I don't much care for it at all these days except for the the nostalgia.
Everything after that was trash apart from the first two verses of 'Not Now James'.
Also The Mission.
Always hated them . . . and I know it is wrong to criticise appearance, but Wayne Hussy's lips made my skin crawl.

Back
Top Bottom