Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tunisia - working class revolt

Salam everyone, I am a tunisian living in london, as a matter of fact there is no tunisian organisation in london if we don't consider the gathering of some individuals who got political asylium in the 90's as an organistaion though they have all means and experience :)
I with few other tunisian activists and very amateur ones as well founded the tunisia solidarity campaign to inform in particular and centralize the support of the uk based tunisian diaspora.. we just created the website http://tunisiasolidarity.wordpress.com/ so feeds will be more and more regular as we figure new ways to translate and pass the info efficiently for those interested.
If anyone has questions about what has been happening feel free to contact me at touneyssa@gmail.com
salaam, welcome and do keep posting

Gunshots are now ringing around us and in the other sidestreets around interior ministry. An earlier tweet from her: Running battles amid extreme violence from police. Protestors being chased onto rooftops. This is turniing very, very bad.

This is very bad news for Ben Ali who must have been hoping that his concessions announced yesterday would calm things down. Instead the protesters seem to have been emboldened.

Guardian

Unconfirmed reports that journalists have taken over state TV and are supporting the protests.

govt now dismissed (confirmed) full elections to legislative assembly to be held in 6 months. Head of the Communist Workers party has been collared by the dibble

ANN saying (confirmed) curfew and state of emergency declared - unsubstantiated rumours of Trabelsi family trying to escape country.

Totally unconfirmed reports of arrests and shootings at airport. Gatherings of more than 3 people now banned and subject to live rounds. Are they going to make a last stand? It's happening.

peaceful solidarity Demo outside Tunisian embassy, saturday 11am.
To clarify on PC's post; the Trabelsis are the family of Ben Ali's extremely unpopular wife.

they've said the cops will shoot at people who don't obey orders, 66 dead so far according to a human rights group

Footage now appearing on ANN of Imed Trabelsi's house being ransacked - lends credibility to the stories of fleeing the country [video]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anonymous-News-Network/114504038619787#!/video/video.php?v=102493959824911&oid=175934182429077&comments[/video]

Twitter: General Ammar reported to be taking over, supposedly sacked earlier for refusing to order troops to fire on demonstrators.

That's General Rachid Ammar, not General Habib Ammar who set up the Tunisian secret police Special Services National Directorate.

Trying to fins i their are any consulates in the UK, but can only find the embassy in London (which has the worst website for any embassy/diplomatic org. I have ever seen) and a consulate in Southhampton of all places

Back
Top Bottom