Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

omigosh - hurrah! I really really hope it improves things. My 5 year old was very very nearly run over by a car crossing on a green man on the gyratory last week. A man in his car decided to drive through the pedestrian crossing whilst it was on green anyway - he saw me but obviously she's shorter and just kept going. :eek: You may have heard my screams...

"Following a campaign by local residents with Labour's Assembly Member Val Shawcross, local councillors Anna Birley, Max Deckers-Dowber & Fred Cowell and former councillor Ann Kingsbury, Transport for London (TfL) has agreed to remove the one-way traffic system (gyratory) on the south circular road near Tulse Hill station. The project to return this junction to two-way traffic is at an early stage and will include extensive consultation with local businesses and residents in the coming months. TfL expect this project to take about 5 years and complete by 2020.

In the meantime the council has won £2million from the London Mayor to improve Norwood Road from Chestnut Road to Tulse Hill Station by 2017. The scheme will be designed through consultation and engagement with local people In 2015/16.

Helen Hayes says “I am pleased that local residents & businesses will be involved in re-designing this important junction which acts as a gate way to West Norwood.”

A number of gyratories are being removed across London eg Brixton, Stockwell, Vauxhall, Wandsworth, Aldgate, Swiss Cottage, Kings Cross and many more. Gyratories, introduced in the 1960s and 1970s, are being replaced to improve safety, cycling, improve traffic flow and create a healthier & more pleasant environment.

Look out for more information at the West Norwood Feast events (returning April 5th) !"

First foods at the THH. The steak and chips was fit. At £18, it's 4 quid cheaper than the railway. It was a really nice piece of meat very well cooked. The horseradish was shite tho.

Five years to fix the gyratory?!
I don't see why it shouldn't be done in five weeks!

I'm going to write to her and ask her to make Probyn Road a no-entry from Palace Road while she's at it. Stop people from speeding round to avoid the lights at the Co-op. If anyone needs access, they can get in from Christchurch Road or Hillside, Lanercost.

I don't see why it shouldn't be done in five weeks!

I'm going to write to her and ask her to make Probyn Road a no-entry from Palace Road while she's at it. Stop people from speeding round to avoid the lights at the Co-op. If anyone needs access, they can get in from Christchurch Road or Hillside, Lanercost.

I'm not sure those roads will be too delighted about that though. That's always the problem with these things - someone loses out.

I mean, I understand it taking a while to get the design right - there's lots of traffic, lots of bus stops, and lots of crossings. Careful coordination between lots of stakeholders. But that's not going to take more than a year, and neither is the construction. Weird. A funding thing maybe?

I mean, I understand it taking a while to get the design right - there's lots of traffic, lots of bus stops, and lots of crossings. Careful coordination between lots of stakeholders. But that's not going to take more than a year, and neither is the construction. Weird. A funding thing maybe?

I don't know, but we had a residents' meeting about this very thing and one of our number is a former councillor, so I'll ask her when I see her.

I'm not sure those roads will be too delighted about that though. That's always the problem with these things - someone loses out.
From Hillside and Lanercost? It might stop people parking at the bottom of Lanercost to get to the station, so they might be ok with it. It certainly wouldn't turn into a rat run, as Probyn is now. To be honest, I drive out Probyn nine times out of ten and it would inconvenience me when driving, but I walk more often than drive, often witha buggy plus a kid on a scooter alongside, and Palace Road is full of fucking idiot drivers, always trying to get through Probyn to Christchurch, so I'd benefit from the change.

<snip> Careful coordination between lots of stakeholders. But that's not going to take more than a year, and neither is the construction. Weird. A funding thing maybe?
So young and naif - you forgot to add the Lambeth factor.

If n is a reasonable amount of time or money for any given project to become real outside Lambeth, let 2n (or L!) stand for the minimum amount required within Lambeth boundaries. Of course, L! may frequently = more than 2n.

I could explain this to you more scientifically with highfaluting cop outs like timey-wimey and money-woney, but it's probably just urban werefoxes plotting again.

Last edited:
From Hillside and Lanercost? It might stop people parking at the bottom of Lanercost to get to the station, so they might be ok with it. It certainly wouldn't turn into a rat run, as Probyn is now. To be honest, I drive out Probyn nine times out of ten and it would inconvenience me when driving, but I walk more often than drive, often witha buggy plus a kid on a scooter alongside, and Palace Road is full of fucking idiot drivers, always trying to get through Probyn to Christchurch, so I'd benefit from the change.

Well I have never once driven up Lanercost - if it was no entry from Probyn onto Christchurch I would take Lanercost or Hillside instead to get on to the South Circular with the current situation. As you know I am in almost the exact same situation as you re buggies/scooters (or bikes in our case) and location, so I completely understand where you are coming from, if anything my road is worse than yours. I'm just saying that where you (or I depending on what they do) would benefit from the change - someone else will lose out as that traffic will reroute elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end and I hope they find a solution that improves the traffic situation for all of us.

Well I have never once driven up Lanercost - if it was no entry from Probyn onto Christchurch I would take Lanercost or Hillside instead to get on to the South Circular with the current situation. As you know I am in almost the exact same situation as you re buggies/scooters (or bikes in our case) and location, so I completely understand where you are coming from, if anything my road is worse than yours. I'm just saying that where you (or I depending on what they do) would benefit from the change - someone else will lose out as that traffic will reroute elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end and I hope they find a solution that improves the traffic situation for all of us.
All I want is for traffic from Leigham Vale to stop coming up Palace Road to get onto Christchurch, put them onto Norwood Road instead, and stop cars turning off Norwood Road to get onto Christchurch when there's a queue from the lights up to the Palace / Leigham Vale Junction.

I can understand why people do it, but it seems that some drivers feel they have to do it as quickly as possible to justify not taking the main road.

People won't use Hillside to get onto Christchurch because it's more difficult to get out up there.

Getting out from Probyn onto Christchurch wouldn't be an issue in my new dictatorship, only getting from Palace Road onto Probyn. People living in Probyn can drive in from Christchurch, park up, and go back out that way. People could also drive from Probyn onto Palace, just not from Palace onto Probyn. Someone living on Probyn who finds themselves on Palace Road can either go Norwood, Christchurch, Probyn or Hillside, Lanercost, Probyn.

Makes all the sense in the world to me.

War on the trains today. The 7:47 to Kings Cross only had 4 carriages so only a couple of people could get on. The next one 15 minutes later was already rammed but half of us got on, imagine it dominoed on til after 9 like that. Angry people on the train shoving and swearing, people at Herne Hill & Loughborough Junction irate at not getting on.

I'd get the 7:15 more often but don't want to get up too early and not see the kids in the morning just because Thameslink can't provide a decent service for the money :(

War on the trains today. The 7:47 to Kings Cross only had 4 carriages so only a couple of people could get on. The next one 15 minutes later was already rammed but half of us got on, imagine it dominoed on til after 9 like that. Angry people on the train shoving and swearing, people at Herne Hill & Loughborough Junction irate at not getting on.

I'd get the 7:15 more often but don't want to get up too early and not see the kids in the morning just because Thameslink can't provide a decent service for the money :(

what is the excuse for 4 carriages in rush hour? its crazy. I thought most train companies were adding carriages and building longer platforms.

Another urb was in COOP last night. They said Clarke Kent has been informed of his celebrity status on this thread. Apparently he was a bit like WTF but in a sort of endearing CK way ;)

Another urb was in COOP last night. They said Clarke Kent has been informed of his celebrity status on this thread. Apparently he was a bit like WTF but in a sort of endearing CK way ;)
I totally blurted out to him that I heard he dyed his hair! He looked quite perturbed. I think he thinks Tulse Hill is stalking him.

We had a conversation about music yesterday. I have time for Clarke

Back
Top Bottom