Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Strowagers has an INORDINATE amount of pocket tissues for sale. It looks a bit odd in there...

I won't be entering any spelling bees for some time....

Last edited:
Warning.. some of the places below are NOT in Tulse Hill - but I just got this email..

Dear Gaijingirl,

I am writing to let you know that from Saturday 7 March, bus route 415 will be extended from Elephant & Castle to Old Kent Road, Tesco. The route will no longer serve Newington Causeway.

This will provide additional buses from Elephant & Castle along New Kent Road and Old Kent Road. This will also provide new direct travel opportunities between West Norwood, Tulse Hill and Brixton to Old Kent Road.

Warning.. some of the places below are NOT in Tulse Hill - but I just got this email..

Dear Gaijingirl,

I am writing to let you know that from Saturday 7 March, bus route 415 will be extended from Elephant & Castle to Old Kent Road, Tesco. The route will no longer serve Newington Causeway.

This will provide additional buses from Elephant & Castle along New Kent Road and Old Kent Road. This will also provide new direct travel opportunities between West Norwood, Tulse Hill and Brixton to Old Kent Road.
They are obviously concerned that you don't have a large enough Tesco in Tulse Hill. Tesco Tulse Hill is an Express, Brixton is a Tesco Metro apparently, Brixton Road has two Tesco Expresses, then Elephant and Castle is only a Metro. The Holy Grail at Old Kent Road is a Superstore.

Maybe Boris should be seeking sponsorship to call this route the T1

Lidl Clapham Junction is pretty good. I don't know what the wine range at other branches is like, but it is amaaaazing at the Clapham Jt. store.

I just went into the worst cafe in Tulse Hill. It's the cafe that's in the old estate agents next to Browns Taxis, the name escapes me.

I ordered a piece of carrot cake and a coffee for £3.50. The cake was DISGUSTING. My 8 year old wouldn't even eat it...it actually tasted of mushroom pate laced with cinnamon! FFS, how they made it taste like that I do not know. I sent it back and the lady that earlier told me the cake was really crumbly because it was made that day then said it's 'fresh from two days ago'! Holy cows, if she thinks fresh food means it was made two days ago she really shouldn't be working in catering. I let go of the fact that she'd lied and took a replacement cookie so the girl wouldn't get upset. That was stale. Yuck all round.

I also do not appreciate being told that no one else complained about it and thus being made to look like a pain in the arse. I will not be venturing back to this so called cafe.

I should have gone to Rhubarb instead, they had a whole variety of lovely looking things in there...

I only wanted a piece of cake and a coffee:facepalm:
Sympathies on the James Wilson experience. Mine was similarly hideous. I have not returned since.

Owen and the Rhubarb is of course always a good shout, but have you tried Creative Aroma? Almost opposite the abomination that's James Wilson, just beyond the weird fireplace shop and by the bus stop down to Herne Hill.

I honestly can't recommend the place highly enough. Delicious cake and coffee and hot chocolate, incredibly lovely owners, and a really nice atmosphere. And I think the prices are very reasonable too. If you're looking for cake, coffee, comfy seat and family friendliness, you won't find anywhere better in my opinion.

(I swear I'm not on commission.)

I don't know, Creative Aroma near the 68/468/192/etc bus stop seemed ok when we went in there.

*eta* see above post. The cakes were good, and they had a highchair for my daughter.

I've popped in to Creative Aroma a few times to get a cuppa to go with a patty from next door for "dinner a la 68" and they've always been really really friendly.

Sympathies on the James Wilson experience. Mine was similarly hideous. I have not returned since.

Owen and the Rhubarb is of course always a good shout, but have you tried Creative Aroma? Almost opposite the abomination that's James Wilson, just beyond the weird fireplace shop and by the bus stop down to Herne Hill.

I honestly can't recommend the place highly enough. Delicious cake and coffee and hot chocolate, incredibly lovely owners, and a really nice atmosphere. And I think the prices are very reasonable too. If you're looking for cake, coffee, comfy seat and family friendliness, you won't find anywhere better in my opinion.

(I swear I'm not on commission.)
I have been there yes. It was ok. Maybe I went when the owners were off because the guy serving seemed quite disinterested.

I will check out Rhubarb and write my findings here shortly...

Creative Aroma could do with swapping out their window display....it's a bit sun bleached now and the cakes in the window look a bit sad. If you want to use your window to sell your business it's best to keep it fresh and colourful and not all tired and faded.

Creative Aroma could do with swapping out their window display....it's a bit sun bleached now and the cakes in the window look a bit sad. If you want to use your window to sell your business it's best to keep it fresh and colourful and not all tired and faded.
Seems that freshness is lacking in all Tulse Hill coffee shops...

Lidl Norbury is my favourite. Generally much quieter.
Norbury for me too. Pretty much the only thing I ever do in our car is drive to Lidl.

Norbury has great parking and loads of windows inside, so it's always nice and bright.

I am not so keen on Streatham, I think I prefer Brixton. But it's great to have three.

Lidl recently got me to test a rice cooker for them. They couriered it to me and the cooker was free. I gave them a small write-up on it. Then it sat in its box for a month so I gave it to poptyping . I wish they'd have me test one of their scary looking power tools. The £79 lathe or something.

Norbury for me too. Pretty much the only thing I ever do in our car is drive to Lidl.

Norbury has great parking and loads of windows inside, so it's always nice and bright.

I am not so keen on Streatham, I think I prefer Brixton. But it's great to have three.

Lidl recently got me to test a rice cooker for them. They couriered it to me and the cooker was free. I gave them a small write-up on it. Then it sat in its box for a month so I gave it to poptyping . I wish they'd have me test one of their scary looking power tools. The £79 lathe or something.
How does one get Lidl to ask one to test stuff? That's bloody brilliant!

How does one get Lidl to ask one to test stuff? That's bloody brilliant!
I've never been to Lidl Norbury. I prefer Streatham as the selection is better and less busy. I find The entrance/exit really precarious with a full trolley. I nearly ended up on acre lane once on exiting.

Back
Top Bottom