Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Nanker stated that the current landlord claimed that Winter had told him she was an unsuitable customer. Either Winter is a vicious cunt and the current landlord is a dupe, or the current landlord is a lying cunt and Winter is an innocent dupe, or both of them have equal hands in a game of cunt Top Trumps. People appear to be making their judgement based of Winter on past experience, which while it's anecdote rather than "fact", isn't "hyperbole" by any stretch of the imagination.

It struck me that it was a pretty easy way out for the new beards to blame the old owners for banning Mary. Whatever JP said to big beard, and he is a massive knob, it's all part of the beard's strategy anyway. I guess they see Mary as a standard bearer for the type of locals they don't want in. It's a best a stupid and short sighted plan, at worst it's discrimatory and dangerous. Mary is well loved in Tulse Hill and I for one am fuming.

Walked all the way (in trainers) from stockwell to see for myself and the place was shut at lunchtime on a Saturday. I am utterly baffled by the business model - presumably the lease isn't free?

Walked all the way (in trainers) from stockwell to see for myself and the place was shut at lunchtime on a Saturday. I am utterly baffled by the business model - presumably the lease isn't free?
Tax loss?

From what's been said here and elsewhere, they seem to be trying to play an "exclusivity" card with regards to clientele - something that generally fails unless your location is as "exclusive" as your entrance policy.

They were open by about 6. I did have a look but it turns out that they don't actually serve beer. I left, pursued by a beard (who was very insistent that they did actually have beer).

I looked in at 8ish - 4 people there. They seem to have a security guard who, on spotting me peer through the window, came out to try and entice me in. I felt a bit bad for him really. Beirdy guy was staring into space. The whole situation is a bit sad really.

I looked in at 8ish - 4 people there. They seem to have a security guard who, on spotting me peer through the window, came out to try and entice me in. I felt a bit bad for him really. Beirdy guy was staring into space. The whole situation is a bit sad really.
Yes, I went to the co-op at around 8.30 pm and could see what looked like a bouncer just inside the door looking out. It looked very weird for a pub and not very inviting.

They were open by about 6. I did have a look but it turns out that they don't actually serve beer. I left, pursued by a beard (who was very insistent that they did actually have beer).
I went in earlier this week. They have the same beer as they had before. Tribute Ale and something else. £4.15 a pint, which is 30p more than in the Tavern.

Went past on the bus around the same time. Hardly anyone in - 4/6 max.

But still...no-one was standing up. So that's a result, right? Well done guys! :facepalm:

From what's been said here and elsewhere, they seem to be trying to play an "exclusivity" card with regards to clientele - something that generally fails unless your location is as "exclusive" as your entrance policy.
There's no seeming about it. They are being exclusive. Most people I saw in the Tulse on Friday were very angry and had nothing positive to say about the Hart.

I found the atmosphere heavy and cold in there and the staff were very defensive, which they're bound to be when confronted with questions about their so-called no standing policy which apparently isn't a policy but just a request from the staff. Go, figure!

I was with Nanker and Fingers but the beard was hiding by the sounds of it and then appeared to be warned off by one of the other managers and then scarpered. Tosser. I take it he's not replied to the tweet?

Anyway there's a half plan in place re 'catching them out' and this will be finalised this week.

It struck me that it was a pretty easy way out for the new beards to blame the old owners for banning Mary. Whatever JP said to big beard, and he is a massive knob, it's all part of the beard's strategy anyway. I guess they see Mary as a standard bearer for the type of locals they don't want in. It's a best a stupid and short sighted plan, at worst it's discrimatory and dangerous. Mary is well loved in Tulse Hill and I for one am fuming.
But previous owners are very unfair and cruel IF they did bad mouth Mary.

I dont know where else it would have come from tbh.

It's all very silly isn't it. As though they thought they could transplant their tired Shoreditch schtick to sunny Sarf Landaan, alienate locals, charge more for a pint than down the road....
Massive fail.

Bunch of amateurs...

Sure fire way of going bust. Idiots.

I'm not going to go in to see how bad it is. I wouldn't put a penny through their till, and I know how shit it was in its last incarnation. I'll also be discouraging all people I know from darkening their doorway.

But previous owners are very unfair and cruel IF they did bad mouth Mary.

I dont know where else it would have come from tbh.

Indeed. If.

Everything is a bit fourth hand by the time it gets here. We are talking about what Nanker Phelge said Mary said New Owner said Old Owner said. We all know how quickly things can get misquoted when this happens, none of us are children. I hope not given the grown up language scattered about.

It seems to me people are using a personal beef with the JP to lump him in with the new guys, turning assumptions into unfounded accusations on a public notice board. It's not very neighbourly really and I personally will miss JP at TWH. I loved going there and was really happy there was a place in our neighbourhood which catered for so many different type of people. Perhaps the people running it before were not your cup of tea but they are local people and they gave it a go. We need more local people trying to open businesses in the area not less.

I never met Mary before I started going to TWH and based on what seems to have happened here I am considering not going to the new incarnation again. It seems that it's possible the new lot have come into our neighbourhood and stirred up trouble by banning people and using others. But I don't know. I wasn't there so I cannot know for sure, all I have is the word of people on here and quite frankly the response to me suggesting that unsubstantiated accusations are unfair has been so awful I can't possibly take them seriously. They may be telling the truth but there seems to be a lot of highly charged emotional content (and more than the odd C word) sprayed about here and I for one prefer to deal in facts rather than get carried away with the crowd.

Indeed. If.

Everything is a bit fourth hand by the time it gets here. We are talking about what Nanker Phelge said Mary said New Owner said Old Owner said. We all know how quickly things can get misquoted when this happens, none of us are children. I hope not given the grown up language scattered about.

It seems to me people are using a personal beef with the JP to lump him in with the new guys, turning assumptions into unfounded accusations on a public notice board. It's not very neighbourly really and I personally will miss JP at TWH. I loved going there and was really happy there was a place in our neighbourhood which catered for so many different type of people. Perhaps the people running it before were not your cup of tea but they are local people and they gave it a go. We need more local people trying to open businesses in the area not less.

Can you please quantify that last sentence? It's just that it reads like the same generalised toss that Lambeth's "Cabinet Member for Jobs and Growth" keeps coming out with. When he says "local", he means "Londoner" or "has a business in the area", not "lives in the area". And while the Shoreditch beardie may qualify as a Londoner, he isn't "local". As for "more local people" per se trying to open businesses, have you actually looked at local rental prices, or to the paltry assistance our council gives to traditional start-ups (you know, those boring shops that cater to local tastes, selling tins of ackee next to the Mothers' Pride)?

I never met Mary before I started going to TWH and based on what seems to have happened here I am considering not going to the new incarnation again. It seems that it's possible the new lot have come into our neighbourhood and stirred up trouble by banning people and using others. But I don't know. I wasn't there so I cannot know for sure, all I have is the word of people on here and quite frankly the response to me suggesting that unsubstantiated accusations are unfair has been so awful I can't possibly take them seriously. They may be telling the truth but there seems to be a lot of highly charged emotional content (and more than the odd C word) sprayed about here and I for one prefer to deal in facts rather than get carried away with the crowd.

If swearing and "robust language" upsets you, then I take it that you didn't read the rules you're directed to when you first signed up - they're allowed, as is "emotionally-charged" argument. We're not a debating society, we're an online community and you (here comes the ultimate swearword) are a liberal.

Indeed. If.

Then why doesn't the manager in question respond to this thread and editor's mail?

He just needs asking is all. And he will be asked.

Can you please quantify that last sentence? ....And while the Shoreditch beardie may qualify as a Londoner, he isn't "local"

I mean live in the area. I feel you have backed one of my points up. This point is the people who ran it before who are local are being connected in with the people people running it now who are from Hackney. I wasn't talking about the new people, that whole paragraph was about the previous landlord.

If swearing and "robust language" upsets you, then I take it that you didn't read the rules you're directed to when you first signed up - they're allowed, as is "emotionally-charged" argument. We're not a debating society, we're an online community and you (here comes the ultimate swearword) are a liberal.

It doesn't upset me at all however if you answer to someone is just swearing then it's hard to take that response seriously. Swearing at and insulting people, whether this betrays your personal politics or not, does not help make your position any stronger in fact it weakens it.

If everyone on here just thinks everyone who is not exactly like them or disagrees with them is just a big fat cunt then any genuine community concern people express on here is lost and can be easily dismissed as people just going off on one online.

I mean live in the area. I feel you have backed one of my points up. This point is the people who ran it before who are local are being connected in with the people people running it now who are from Hackney. I wasn't talking about the new people, that whole paragraph was about the previous landlord.

It doesn't upset me at all however if you answer to someone is just swearing then it's hard to take that response seriously. Swearing at and insulting people, whether this betrays your personal politics or not, does not help make your position any stronger in fact it weakens it.

If everyone on here just thinks everyone who is not exactly like them or disagrees with them is just a big fat cunt then any genuine community concern people express on here is lost and can be easily dismissed as people just going off on one online.

Are you suggesting that the local people who ran it before were happy with the actual local people, who have used that pub their whole lives, as customers? And valued and welcomed them with open arms?

Back
Top Bottom