Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

It's all rather callous and calculating.

The thing with a place like the White Hart is it used to be a place some of the older people would go in the afternoons for a drink and a chat, and some of them may have been totally bonkers, but it was a safe place for them. When they wouldn't appear for a couple of days other locals and bar staff would pop around and make sure they were all right. One person, who gets a lot of bad comments made about her, would cook and take food to the elders, and make sure they were safe. That's now gone for them, and for those with mobility problems, heading up to The Horns is not quite as easy.

The idea that specific types of people are going to be made to uncomfortable and unwelcome as a means to drive them out is exactly what 'Gentrification' (that word again!) is all about. It's not about joining a community, it's about invading and destroying one and replacing it with a cleaner, more sanitized and white washed version.

The Tulse Hill Hotel has been very tolerant of the locals, and I've not seen a single member of staff act negatively towards 'old Tulse Hill' people. Actually, the one time I witnessed someone completely fucked in there the guy running the bar was more than tolerant and looked uncomfortable asking them to leave....and even called a cab for them.

The Railway is fairly tolerant too, and regardless of what you think of the owners, staff, beer prices etc, it's a very mixed crowd and remains pretty chilled out most of the time.

The thing with a place like the White Hart is it used to be a place some of the older people would go in the afternoons for a drink and a chat, and some of them may have been totally bonkers, but it was a safe place for them. When they wouldn't appear for a couple of days other locals and bar staff would pop around and make sure they were all right. One person, who gets a lot of bad comments made about her, would cook and take food to the elders, and make sure they were safe. That's now gone for them, and for those with mobility problems, heading up to The Horns is not quite as easy.

The idea that specific types of people are going to be made to uncomfortable and unwelcome as a means to drive them out is exactly what 'Gentrification' (that word again!) is all about. It's not about joining a community, it's about invading and destroying one and replacing it with a cleaner, more sanitized and white washed version.

The Tulse Hill Hotel has been very tolerant of the locals, and I've not seen a single member of staff act negatively towards 'old Tulse Hill' people. Actually, the one time I witnessed someone completely fucked in there the guy running the bar was more than tolerant and looked uncomfortable asking them to leave....and even called a cab for them.

The Railway is fairly tolerant too, and regardless of what you think of the owners, staff, beer prices etc, it's a very mixed crowd and remains pretty chilled out most of the time.
Couldn't have put it better myself

I think I should print that comment Nanker and post it through their door.

You put it perfectly, essentially the Hart (from a newcomer's perspective as I rarely went in their before the previous owners...too much sport, no other reason) seemed like a community hub for lots of people. I got to know many of them and most of the 'locals' are genuinely lovely, kind people (with a bit of aggro/drama thrown in sometimes for good measure) who would always look out for one another. I never felt uncomfortable and liked it when there was a mix of people which there often was.

I'm not for segregation one bit and that's why I like the Railway.

I will go in to the Hart today to see what all the bother is about but I think I will find it hard not to be prejudiced now given what some of you have said here.

I don't like giving my money to cunts...maybe I'll just stay for a pint and observe...

I think I should print that comment Nanker and post it through their door.

You put it perfectly, essentially the Hart (from a newcomer's perspective as I rarely went in their before the previous owners...too much sport, no other reason) seemed like a community hub for lots of people. I got to know many of them and most of the 'locals' are genuinely lovely, kind people (with a bit of aggro/drama thrown in sometimes for good measure) who would always look out for one another. I never felt uncomfortable and liked it when there was a mix of people which there often was.

I'm not for segregation one bit and that's why I like the Railway.

I will go in to the Hart today to see what all the bother is about but I think I will find it hard not to be prejudiced now given what some of you have said here.

I don't like giving my money to cunts...maybe I'll just stay for a pint and observe...
Feel like I might get accused of being precious here. Well, I'm not...

Knowing the previous owner and his contempt for the locals, I suspect he has given a full description of all offending parties.

Locals should attend, adhering to the dress code - preferably in numbers. Then the truth will out - any hint of prejudice by the new staff will be damning for the business.

I messaged them asking them if they'd like to respond to the comments in this thread.

I really do not see where these clowns are going with this. The up market gap in the market has been filled by the Tulse Hill Hotel. They are not trying to socially cleanse the area either.

Plus it has decent toilets and a nice outdoor bit which the Hart lacks both.

Maybe they don't care about these things. Perhaps they have enough pals, and like-minded, upwardly mobile, people to fill the place and make it work.

The Tulse certainly mined an untapped clientele, it was like dawn of the dead, all these consumers of pigs tail and fish pops creeping up out of the earth seeking draft beer and quince like a driven horde, singlemindedly marching towards the bar.

Difference being, the Tulse seems happy to serve anyone, and they do it with manners.

Locals should attend, adhering to the dress code - preferably in numbers. Then the truth will out - any hint of prejudice by the new staff will be damning for the business.
I agree. Rather than being provocative and getting in their face. That'll end in tears for everybody and the cause in undermined.

Not everybody wants to go into every establishment in the area (and there's no reason why the White Hart can't co-exist with the other pubs in the area). But everybody should have the choice to go in there if they wish without being made to feel in some way inferior.

Not everybody wants to go into every establishment in the area (and there's no reason why the White Hart can't co-exist with the other pubs in the area). But everybody should have the choice to go in there if they wish without being made to feel in some way inferior.

Which is a fair and proper approach.

...and if someone goes in and causes trouble, I don't mind them being kicked out, with fair warning.

The new Hart guys are from Shoreditch. I think they've just got plenty of money and think they can do what many have done over East. Why else would they be schlepping across London to work (if they haven't moved south).

They blatantly don't care about the local community otherwise we wouldn't be filling this thread with all of the negative comments received so far.

Maybe they don't care about these things. Perhaps they have enough pals, and like-minded, upwardly mobile, people to fill the place and make it work.
I very much doubt that Nanker. We are pretty well served by pubs now, whatever your preferences. They will also suffer (as the last owners did) as we go into the summer and there's no garden.

Pulled meat and beards (not that I have a problem with either) isn't enough when you kick off a business in a new area - we've already seen that once this year - pizzas and live jazz wasn't enough.

Does anyone know what's going on with cressingham gardens? It's Upper Tulse Hill. just seen some residents have put up a banner. Couldn't read all of it as I'm on the bus but something to do with housing and Lambeth...it's not going to be good is it?

Does anyone know what's going on with cressingham gardens? It's Upper Tulse Hill. just seen some residents have put up a banner. Couldn't read all of it as I'm on the bus but something to do with housing and Lambeth...it's not going to be good is it?
It's a long running saga (over 2 years and counting). The council seems to be trying to present it as a done deal for regeneration in spite of still not having done the test of opinion which was due in February 2015. The official line is that ward councillors (and the council in genreal) have been working with people who live on the estate, this is very far from the experience of people who live there.
Brixton Buzz has several pieces on the situation
Also:
https://www.facebook.com/SaveCressinghamGardens
https://savecressingham.wordpress.com/

It's a long running saga (over 2 years and counting). The council seems to be trying to present it as a done deal for regeneration in spite of still not having done the test of opinion which was due in February 2015. The official line is that ward councillors (and the council in genreal) have been working with people who live on the estate, this is very far from the experience of people who live there.
Brixton Buzz has several pieces on the situation
Also:
https://www.facebook.com/SaveCressinghamGardens
https://savecressingham.wordpress.com/
yeah so same old shite...thanks for the info though!

all shades of shit I'm afraid :(
If the council get their way. Nothing is set in stone yet.

It's looking bad, and if the council get their way as they want it at the moment it'll be bloody awful (for people passing the estate or using it as a shortcut to the park, as well as those living there), but there's still a chance.

Back
Top Bottom