Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Toyota + Saatchi 'guerilla action' and the 'whitening of Brixton'

Quite amusing your (10 out of 14) posts – you're not by any chance working for the same PR company, managing the fall-out?
Apologies for all the capital letters in last post btw, it was late and realise it may have come across as aggressive - that's not my intent.

Emphatically not, but it's not a total surprise you think that. My job is research, and on some occasions my research is in the area of corporate responsibility (and occasionally adv/PR). I don't think that makes me evil! And I have to say that I personally think a lot of it is horseshit, and some of the people I struggle to get on with. But there are also some corporates doing some genuinely good stuff. Which is why I am trying to take a slightly more balanced view. And I don't think making a living the way the knitters are doing is an inherently bad thing. They're knitting. As for the catch-all phrase 'taking the corporate dollar' - it's all about context isn't' it, not sure this thread is the right place to try and unravel that one.

The capital letters were the result of one too many glasses of wine. And I think it's important to apologise or clarify if you haven't communicated something as well as you would have liked. I've enjoyed the debate though and I hope it remains good natured.

Cheers

Sorry, what? Your neighbour's careless rubbish disposal "puts this into some real perspective"?

OK, fair comment, probably didn't my point over there very well did I? What I meant was that there are occasional corporately funded exercises to inject a bit of fun into the environment we live in, there are also people out there that couldn't give a shit and leave bags of rubbish strewn over the road, boxes of chicken bones dumped at bus stops etc. One of those things makes me very angry and one doesn't. You can probably guess which is which.

discobastard...

Of course there are more important battles (gang rapes, kids getting caught in crossfire, the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe etc.) and we know all about them. A few wooly flowers and cheery faces does nothing to address these issues, by the way, and it also pisses me off that while Brixton is looking more cheery and corporate, these continuing issues are swept into the corners.

I totally agree with you on this, I'm saying wooly faces aren't a bad thing, just that neither Toyota nor the knitters can do much about teh social issues you quite rightly raise. And so the anger directed (esp to the knitters themselves) is to my mind quite out of proportion. But I understand you might feel differently about that.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom