Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Toyota + Saatchi 'guerilla action' and the 'whitening of Brixton'

Yes definitely, multicultural refers to culture and/or ethnicity, not skin tone. Have seen school classes in London where there is not one white child, yet there might be 20 different languages spoken and various backgrounds of the children who are there, i.e. multi-cultural. Personally I don't believe in the concept of race, which in itself has racist origins, but coming back to the original point the offensiveness of the article related clearly to skin colour of the previous majority of locals in Brixton and what was associated with it and the subsequent change in demographics.

- You're overlooking human suggestibility upon which all Advertising and Marketing is predicated. Do you really think your consumer 'choices' are made with 100% autonomy?

"I hope that everybody else who is criticising shotgun all over this board is doing everything they can to make the world a better place, in their work and other choices."
- Ah, the old "but what do you do though" get-out-of-debate card.
If we wrote a list of things we could all do tomorrow to make the world a better place, how many thousands of ideas would have to be exhausted before we arrived at "knitting flowers under a damp bridge on the off chance a passer by grins for a second"?
Does this hapless wool gatherer seriously think her banal flotsam is in any way more life improving than a single cute kitten .gif ?

Of course I don't think my consumer choices are made with 100% autonomy. Very few choices in anything are made with 100% autonomy. I doubt there's a single person on this board who isn't swayed in some way by marketing comms in whatever form. Having said that, cars aren't really impulse purchases. The most you could hope for from an exercise like this is that somebody who *is* in the market for a car might consciously or subconsciously consider Toyota as an option as a result of having a good experience checking out the knitting on Ferndale Road. And what's wrong with that (unless you're rabidly anti-car)? I think somebody earlier in this thread said something like "why are they advertising £21k cars in this area?". The answer is that they are not advertising cars, they are facilitating (sponsoring) brightening up the place and giving some worthwhile artists some valuable exposure, while maybe enhancing some people's perception of the Toyota brand while doing so.

This takes us into the realm of Corporate Responsibility and those kind of activities, which always provokes the "they're only doing it to sell more [INSERT CHOICE OF PRODUCT HERE]..." rants. But sometimes these activities aren't evil, they can be quite beneficial to the community. And if they're paying for whatever it is, then of course they're going to want their logo splashed about a bit (as long as they don't get too militant about it - I'm talkign Coca Cola/Pepsi at the Olympic stadium).

As for your second point, I don't really have much idea what you're trying to say. I'm certainly not trying to get out of the debate. There's a lot of 'taking things too literally' in this thread. It's not about writing a list of all the things people do that make life a better place - I would have thought it was fairly obvious that I was actually just pointing out that some people with an artistic bent and a view to brightening up communities are actually walking their talk ( http://knitthecity.com/why). And as a result have been roundly and quite vindictively trashed by a bunch of people on this thread and on the blog because a PR/ad agency paid them something to work their magic on a road in Brixton one day. Really constructive guys. Great community spirit.

Apologies for all the capital letters in last post btw, it was late and realise it may have come across as aggressive - that's not my intent.

It's just a tax write off. Better to get some publicity than spunk the money to the tax man.

As for your second point, I don't really have much idea what you're trying to say. I'm certainly not trying to get out of the debate. There's a lot of 'taking things too literally' in this thread. It's not about writing a list of all the things people do that make life a better place - I would have thought it was fairly obvious that I was actually just pointing out that some people with an artistic bent and a view to brightening up communities are actually walking their talk ( http://knitthecity.com/why). And as a result have been roundly and quite vindictively trashed by a bunch of people on this thread and on the blog because a PR/ad agency paid them something to work their magic on a road in Brixton one day. Really constructive guys. Great community spirit.

However according to them they are not just about "brightening up communities" ( the red is used by them on the website)

We are women who are very passionate about our beliefs. We do have strong opinions and grand ideas in the tangles of our brains. But we’re not going to make it easy for you by screaming them through our stitching. Where would the fun be in that? You’ll just have to listen more carefully.
Change and making the world a better place can be done with a grin instead of a grimace, a whisper instead of a bellow. Our art, whether you like it or not, changes the way people look at their world. How it yours it is up to you.
That’s really our point. You shouldn’t need to be told what to see in our stitching. It’s your mind and your world.

So they are saying there work is capable of different interpretations. They are public artists with a serious intent to there work . They say they are passionate and have strong opinions. Fair enough. So there work as resulted in strong opinions here. I would have thought that it not "vindictive trashing" but a response to the artists work.
Its been said several times by posters- they did not just do knitting with a bit of sponsorship. They actively endorsed a product and linked there "brand" to it.

Does this hapless wool gatherer seriously think her banal flotsam is in any way more life improving than a single cute kitten .gif ?
[/QUOTE]

simonSW2

Kitten pics are more life enhancing.:)

kitten-thread-yarn.jpg

However according to them they are not just about "brightening up communities" ( the red is used by them on the website)

So they are saying there work is capable of different interpretations. They are public artists with a serious intent to there work . They say they are passionate and have strong opinions. Fair enough. So there work as resulted in strong opinions here. I would have thought that it not "vindictive trashing" but a response to the artists work.
Its been said several times by posters- they did not just do knitting with a bit of sponsorship. They actively endorsed a product and linked there "brand" to it.

Nonetheless I would say they are not political nor corporate. And they didn't actively endorse a brand. Where did you see them saying 'buy a Toyota Prius'? Yes the brands are linked but that's what happens in Corporate Responsibilty programmes. Brands link themselves to grassroots organisations that know what they doing. Should they have said 'no, we don't want this project on Ferndale Road and we don't want to be paid'? And if so, by whose ethics should they be playing?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion about whether or knot the knitters are evil corporate lackeys. I just can't believe everybody is so wound up about it. They're just making a living (or supplementing one). God knows we all need to right now. What 'bad thing' has happened to everybody on this board as a result? Would love to know.

It may just be me but I'm sure there are More deservingly evil things and people to rail against. If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me, but at least have a decent argument to back it up.

And they didn't actively endorse a brand.
Oh yes they did. They drew strong parallels between their brand values and aspirations and those of their corporate client.
About the collaboration with Toyota, The Fastener of The Yarnstormers commented: “When Toyota approached us, we were impressed that they wanted to use the environmentally-friendly message of the Prius Plug-In Hybrid to brighten up London, and wanted to imbibe a similar message through our knitting needles.”

Deadly Knitshade, speaking about the campaign, said: “Knit the city are about taking hold of forgotten public spaces and giving them soul through their colourful woolly creations. Toyota are the perfect partners to help us spread positivity, bringing a smile to peoples faces and encouraging them to go out and make their own artistic mark on the world.”
http://www.saatchi.com/en/news/arch...ransforms_brixton_with_toyotas_positive_power

Toyota doing advertising, artists taking corporate shilling, same old, same old. Not sure why we should be expected to regard it any differently from any other variant of the same shite?

Well, I think there's too much excuse making here. To me, the message is pretty clear, and its one I hear regularly from people outside of Brixton, albeit expressed covertly. The kind of, "oh, I hear Brixton is changing/getting better, a lot of new people coming in", like its a real improvement on what was here before.

Well, I think there's too much excuse making here. To me, the message is pretty clear, and its one I hear regularly from people outside of Brixton, albeit expressed covertly. The kind of, "oh, I hear Brixton is changing/getting better, a lot of new people coming in", like its a real improvement on what was here before.

Before when it was a predominantly Portugese and Irish area?

An interesting point. Is multicultural ever used where whites don't reside? Say in areas of Birmingham populated solely by a variety of Asian and or african descent of different cultural backgrounds. If such places exist in Britain? If not in other parts of the world.

Of course it is used. In any community that isn't monocultural.
It's the context in which "multicultural" is used that matters, though. Whether it is being used inclusively or exclusively, for example.

Before when it was a predominantly Portugese and Irish area?

One suspects, in line with the shifting prejudices of 20th-century Britons, that the Irish and Iberian communities weren't as much of a worry (accepted, as they became, into the corpus of "white" races) as Afro-Caribbean people, so "what was here before" probably refers to the black community and their supposedly "alien" culture. :)

One suspects, in line with the shifting prejudices of 20th-century Britons, that the Irish and Iberian communities weren't as much of a worry (accepted, as they became, into the corpus of "white" races) as Afro-Caribbean people, so "what was here before" probably refers to the black community and their supposedly "alien" culture. :)

I used to work with Irish in early 80s. They still got police harassment every time a bomb went off. As my Irish friend said the kind of wrongful arrest etc the Muslim community got here recently as part of the "war on terror" was similar to what happened to Irish in UK at height of IRA campaigns.

The house in which I currently live was previously owned by an Irish family. The house directly opposite is (still) owned by a Jamaican family. Their kids were all the same age, and they all used to look out for each other in the same way: they would warn each other if the cops were on the prowl, and the adults would call each others' young'uns in off the street and keep them safe from the searches and snatches.This was in the 80s: they felt like they were in the trenches together

One person wasn't too impressed on the Toyota Positive Power Facebook page :D

View attachment 28685

The whole page is vomit-inducing, actually.

One person describing it as vomit inducing doesn't make it vomit inducing (if you *actually*vomit every time time you absorb or are exposed to something nice that is funded/sponsored by some private sector organisation then you're probably too busy vomiting to work). Hey, I'm not a big fan of the whole corporate bullshit thing myself. But this thread started with some seriously vindictive comments about somebody whose English wasn't 100% (and made a heartfelt apology) and then moved on to some people who took a corporate dollar to make some art (maybe it was the first time that somebody recognised their work, maybe not). And I was disgusted at the venom directed at (a) a Ukrainian journalist who made a linguistic mistake and gave a heartfelt apology and (b) some people that accepted some money from an ad agency to give their passion in life a boost.
We're all just human. Unless everybody in Brixton lives in caves and barters their trade for a living then we have to live with it. The economy benefits to a degree - if nobody bought cars then the nation would be less rich than it is (meaning we could pay fewer benefits to people that deserve them etc). I' not saying that it's a good thing but it's just the way our economy works. Corporates sometimes give money to stuff that does nothing other than guarantee their logo on a t-shirt.
Fortunately, deadlyknitshade and the fastener have been really good natured about it all. Personally, if I'd made those comments about them I'd be ashamed. To put it into context, there is a house on my street that has left a load of building waste on the road because they expect the council to pick it up. The council won't pick it up because its not 'domestic' waste and so they've left it out on the street for over a month. The fact that these people don't give a shit about their neighbours and the rules about waste collection, for me at least, puts the corporate knitting stuff into some real perspective. Pleasant environment or shitty environment - would you all be bitching about this if Toyotal had nothing to do with it? Seriously I want to know.
You should pick your battles carefully.

One person describing it as vomit inducing doesn't make it vomit inducing (if you *actually*vomit every time time you absorb or are exposed to something nice that is funded/sponsored by some private sector organisation then you're probably too busy vomiting to work). Hey, I'm not a big fan of the whole corporate bullshit thing myself. But this thread started with some seriously vindictive comments about somebody whose English wasn't 100% (and made a heartfelt apology) and then moved on to some people who took a corporate dollar to make some art (maybe it was the first time that somebody recognised their work, maybe not). And I was disgusted at the venom directed at (a) a Ukrainian journalist who made a linguistic mistake and gave a heartfelt apology and (b) some people that accepted some money from an ad agency to give their passion in life a boost.
We're all just human. Unless everybody in Brixton lives in caves and barters their trade for a living then we have to live with it. The economy benefits to a degree - if nobody bought cars then the nation would be less rich than it is (meaning we could pay fewer benefits to people that deserve them etc). I' not saying that it's a good thing but it's just the way our economy works. Corporates sometimes give money to stuff that does nothing other than guarantee their logo on a t-shirt.
Fortunately, deadlyknitshade and the fastener have been really good natured about it all. Personally, if I'd made those comments about them I'd be ashamed. To put it into context, there is a house on my street that has left a load of building waste on the road because they expect the council to pick it up. The council won't pick it up because its not 'domestic' waste and so they've left it out on the street for over a month. The fact that these people don't give a shit about their neighbours and the rules about waste collection, for me at least, puts the corporate knitting stuff into some real perspective. Pleasant environment or shitty environment - would you all be bitching about this if Toyotal had nothing to do with it? Seriously I want to know.
Sorry, what? Your neighbour's careless rubbish disposal "puts this into some real perspective"?

In what sense have my posts been "vindictive"?

Nor did I direct "venom" at the Ukranian journalist.

I also said I had no problem with artists doing commercial work to earn a living. Its drawing clear lines between them that is the issue here. Film directors moonlight directing ads. That does not mean they come on the advert endorsing the brand. They do it as a job between making films.

You are mixing up sponsorship by a business with a large multinational buying into someones brand.

I comment on many things on the Brixton forum. This is just one of them.

People are objecting (not 'bitching') to the use of the word whitening in describing Brixton. I know a fair few Russian and Lithuanian people, my experience of them in relation to race is that they are very anti African/Caribeann. Of course, that might change over time, it doesn't apply to all Russians/Lithuanians, etc.

...and then moved on to some people who took a corporate dollar to make some art (maybe it was the first time that somebody recognised their work, maybe not).
Hardly. The 'neighbourhood guerrilla knitters' have already notched up no-doubt lucrative contracts for other major corporate clients like BT, South Bank, Royal Opera House and Nintendo. Cash from chaos!

You can spin it all you like, but reading this drivel about Toyota encouraging people to "go out and make their own artistic mark on the world" remains stomach-churning stuff.
About the collaboration with Toyota, The Fastener of The Yarnstormers commented: "When Toyota approached us, we were impressed that they wanted to use the environmentally-friendly message of the Prius Plug-In Hybrid to brighten up London, and wanted to imbibe a similar message through our knitting needles."

Deadly Knitshade, speaking about the campaign, said: "Knit the city are about taking hold of forgotten public spaces and giving them soul through their colourful woolly creations. Toyota are the perfect partners to help us spread positivity, bringing a smile to peoples faces and encouraging them to go out and make their own artistic mark on the world."
As for the 'poor' journalist, I'm rather proud of the fact that I played a part in getting her racist shit taken down.

I used to work with Irish in early 80s. They still got police harassment every time a bomb went off. As my Irish friend said the kind of wrongful arrest etc the Muslim community got here recently as part of the "war on terror" was similar to what happened to Irish in UK at height of IRA campaigns.

To be fair, that's an instance of a particular prejudice ("Catholic Paddies = bombers") rather than the sort of sweeping, generalised prejudices applied to communities as a whole ("they all smell").

discobastard...

For accuracy, the journalist did not herself make any comment or apology, nor did she take responsibility for her words. (and that, to me, is wrong for a journalist). Her editor came on here to take responsibility for the words of the journalist, and to apologise for the "misunderstanding". She did not apologise for causing offence, or for misrepresenting Brixton and our community.

As a reminder, here is the offending passage:

'The district, which used to be quite an unpleasant part of the city in the 80s (it was associated with bombing and riots then), has whitened its image and become a nice, multicultural area—and the new project adds another lively and optimistic touch to the transformed atmosphere of this place.'

So, this district used to be unpleasant, being associated with riots and bombs. Since then, it has changed, becoming a nice multicultural area.

Aside from the factual inaccuracy about bombs, can you not see how this might make us natives feel rather put out?

It suggests that Brixton is newly multicultural, when in fact it has always been one of the areas of London where disenfranchised people of every stripe felt comfortable and welcome, even in the teeth of judgement from elsewhere in society (and I'm not just talking about the West Indians who settled here after Windrush).

It suggests that Brixton has been a pretty nasty place until fairly recently, and it ties the yarn project into that improvement. It implies that any improvements and positive changes have been imposed on us from outside, rather than developed from within our own community. We've been colonised by those friendly people with money who were brave enough to venture into the dark heart of Brixton. It's bollocks, do you see.

And I haven't even got to the word "whitening" yet... Let's leave that aside since our reading may not be what Anna Rudenko meant to say... but you can understand, I think, how such a term might be inflammatory...?

It was clear to me on my first reading that Rudenko was not writing in her mother tongue. And I am prepared to make allowances for that, even though what she has written is sloppy, lazy, poor quality journalism.

What pissed me off was the implication that Brixton has sprung fully formed as some kind of corporate advert-type delight out of the ashes of destroyed inner city turmoil. It was rude, dismissive, short sighted and cliched.

Yes, she's young, yes, she's Ukrainian, and yes she had no sub looking over her shoulder. But that simply gives us the unfiltered, honest views of someone like her, and it stinks.

Of course there are more important battles (gang rapes, kids getting caught in crossfire, the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe etc.) and we know all about them. A few wooly flowers and cheery faces does nothing to address these issues, by the way, and it also pisses me off that while Brixton is looking more cheery and corporate, these continuing issues are swept into the corners.

As for the rest of the discussion: some of us find it kind of annoying that Brixton has been thoroughly ignored for decades, but now that it's deemed to be "nicer", people are rushing in to tie their colours to our masts, to get a bit of kudos for being part of the "regeneration".

It might not annoy you, but some of us do find it irksome.

Hippy!

As for the rest of the discussion: some of us find it kind of annoying that Brixton has been thoroughly ignored for decades, but now that it's deemed to be "nicer", people are rushing in to tie their colours to our masts, to get a bit of kudos for being part of the "regeneration".

It might not annoy you, but some of us do find it irksome.
Very nicely summed up.

I'd like to add that in the 80s Brixton was booming with talent and creativity of every kind. The place was awash with musicians and artists. In my street alone there was a famous concert violinist, a famous jazz trumpeter, a famous sculptor, a famous writer, a famous rock musician, a woman from the rock aristocracy who was friend and muse to any number of famous other people; there was a famous painter too. And that's just the ones who were earning their keep through their art. Most other households on the street were involved with art, music, creativity in some way.

There are two people in my street who are now in their early thirties who are both successful architects. They were born and raised here during those Dark Days.

In those Dark Days, kids used to play football in this street and families would sit out on the stoop in the evening.

But I guess it was unpleasant then, and much nicer now.

:)

Of course I don't think my consumer choices are made with 100% autonomy. Very few choices in anything are made with 100% autonomy. I doubt there's a single person on this board who isn't swayed in some way by marketing comms in whatever form. …
Apologies for all the capital letters in last post btw, it was late and realise it may have come across as aggressive - that's not my intent.

Quite amusing your (10 out of 14) posts – you're not by any chance working for the same PR company, managing the fall-out?

In what sense have my posts been "vindictive"?

Nor did I direct "venom" at the Ukranian journalist.

I also said I had no problem with artists doing commercial work to earn a living. Its drawing clear lines between them that is the issue here. Film directors moonlight directing ads. That does not mean they come on the advert endorsing the brand. They do it as a job between making films.

You are mixing up sponsorship by a business with a large multinational buying into someones brand.

I comment on many things on the Brixton forum. This is just one of them.

As before - not directed at you personally, I definitely don't have a vendetta against you.

Back
Top Bottom