Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tout exposed Mark 'Stone/Kennedy' exposed as undercover police officer

Perhaps ACPO could commission a working party looking into this important issue. Never mind dead bystanders or wide-ranging espionage on political activists - DonerGate is the hot topic.
Congratulations on your membership of the "Either / Or" Association. There are lots of important issues which need to be considered. Organisations are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. The fact they are doing one thing doesn't mean they are not doing any other.

Personally I have no problem with them purchasing food when on duty ... but they shouldn't do so in uniform and they certainly shouldn't do so on foot and then carry their shopping bags back to the station. It simply looks scruffy and unprofessional.

I clocked a cop having a sneaky ciggy down an alley last year. I considered taking a photo but then got distracted by something or couldn't be arsed or something.

I do, however, know that there was an extensive investigation conducted by officers from units that I was not attached to that identified a number of groups (the Wombles being only one, memorable only because of their name), many with apparent links to each other, that had been involved in all sorts of serious disorder in the context of large-scale protest in Italy and elsewhere and that that a number of them made varoous appearances at protests in the UK.

That investigation wouldn't have involved taking at face value "intelligence" "shared" by any of the multifarious and nefarious Italian police forces - would it?

ironically under Licensing laws... it is illegal to serve drunk people, known prostitutes or police on duty...
Are you sure? Whilst the Licensing Act 2003 retained an offence in relation to drunkenness it did not, so far as I recall, include offences in relation to prostitutes or police officers on duty.

I clocked a cop having a sneaky ciggy down an alley last year.
That sounds like they were demonstrating that they were just an ordinary person, with ordinary frailties. Something that I thought that you wanted them to be ...

Whilst I would expect a supervising officer to give them a bollocking, I wouldn't expect members of the public (except the really sad, no-life moaners who see kids kicking a football in the park as "anti-social behaviour" and who tend to take over consultative meetings) to make an official complaint about it.

That investigation wouldn't have involved taking at face value "intelligence" "shared" by any of the multifarious and nefarious Italian police forces - would it?
It would certainly involve consideration of intelligence received from foreign police forces, yes. Whether it was taken at face value or not I do not know. It certainly shouldn't have been if intelligence handling guidelines had been applied but, as I have said before, I wasn't involved in the actual investigation so I don't know.

That sounds like they were demonstrating that they were just an ordinary person, with ordinary frailties. Something that I thought that you wanted them to be ...

Whilst I would expect a supervising officer to give them a bollocking, I wouldn't expect members of the public (except the really sad, no-life moaners who see kids kicking a football in the park as "anti-social behaviour" and who tend to take over consultative meetings) to make an official complaint about it.

Well I didn't. So put your nob back in your pants.

Ah shit - I know him - and thought he was sound - nice guy etc.

I know a few people who were very close to him - they must be feeling shit.

Utterly gob smacked.

Used to take th episs out of his flash pick up and fancy climbing gear - now we know where the money came from.

For all that - what a waste of police resources - the activists he infiltrated were hardly fucking PIRA. Woah - cos of his stirling work the state prevented a banner drop at a demo, a few office doors being super glued and someone cutting the fence at menwith hill.

Sorry to hear that Kaka... its interesting to hear from experienced people who have known these sorts of people...

I said I had no detail. I don't. I do, however, know that there was an extensive investigation conducted by officers from units that I was not attached to that identified a number of groups (the Wombles being only one, memorable only because of their name), many with apparent links to each other, that had been involved in all sorts of serious disorder in the context of large-scale protest in Italy and elsewhere and that that a number of them made varoous appearances at protests in the UK.
that's waaay too vague and insubstantial for 'serious crime' tho'. Mugging, burglary, GH - that's 'serious crime', IMO.

Cunt even looks like bono

tout.jpg
what a fucking cunt

In the US police officers routinely take their refreshment breaks in public restaurants, the idea being that it raised their visibility and improved their involvement in the community they policed. In the UK it was always the case that the police were quite specifically prevented from doing so. That does not prevent them obtaining food from fast food outlets, supermarkets, etc. to take back to the police station to consume (there being very, very few 24 hour canteen facilities available any more).

There is a genuine debate to be had here. Do you think UK police officers should be encouraged to take their refreshments in public restaurants? If not, do you think that they should be barred from purchasing food whilst on duty (i.e. they should be made to bring food from home / purchase food prior to booking on duty)?

Personally I have no problem with them purchasing food when on duty ... but they shouldn't do so in uniform and they certainly shouldn't do so on foot and then carry their shopping bags back to the station. It simply looks scruffy and unprofessional. I am less convinced about them being alllowed to take their meals in public restaurants. I think the perception would be that they obtained subsidised or free food from the restaurant whether or not they actually did.

I thought the Yanks encouraged that when loons started going postal in burger kings etc.

A police officer spent seven years undercover living as a hippie and environmental activist to infiltrate peaceful protest groups

He drank with them, he climbed with them, he even seemed to love them and was loved in return. But Mark “Flash” Stone was living a double life as perhaps the most deeply embedded undercover police officer in Britain.

Questions are being asked this weekend as to what the police officer achieved in seven years, living at the taxpayers’ expense as a hippie and environmental activist. He infiltrated protest groups that were mainly peaceful in nature, moved in with them and travelled to Iceland and all over Europe.

His double existence ended when friends discovered documents showing his true identity, leaving a trail of emotional wreckage and a sense of bewilderment that the authorities should invest so much time for a seemingly modest reward.

Stone — real name Mark Kennedy — was among 114 people arrested last year on the eve of a planned invasion of a power station. The aim was to shut down Ratcliffe-on-Soar in Nottinghamshire for a week, preventing the release of 150,000 tons of carbon dioxide from one of the biggest emitters of greenhouse gases in Europe.

He drove the car on the initial reconnaissance and even hired a 7½-ton truck for the main event. But charges against him were dropped, leaving 20 others to be convicted last week of conspiracy to commit aggravated trespass.

With his long hair, tattoos and body piercings, nobody suspected that their comrade in saving the planet was a detective. But Stone is thought to be a member of the Special Demonstration Squad (SDS), a secret unit known as “the Hairies” because officers can wear their hair as they please.

According to one former member, only married officers are accepted into the unit, as they are less likely to “go native” if they have families to return to.

Called “Flash” because he had more money than other activists, Stone became a familiar face in Nottingham, hanging about at the Sumac centre, a vegan cafe and social club for people concerned with human and animal rights, the environment and pacifism. He lived with activists in the city.

His former friends say he was vehemently anti-police, a pose slightly at odds with a community more inclined to organise workshops on what they perceive as “bad policing” than to fight about it.

For the takeover of the power station, the protesters drew up health-and-safety plans and a rule that there would be no violence. They were to stop the conveyor carrying coal into the boilers, climb the 653ft chimney and unfurl protest banners.

The workers would be given leaflets reassuring them that jobs could be created by greener energy, while costlier but cleaner gas-fired stations would come on line to supply the National Grid, keeping the nation’s lights on.

Eon, the owner of the station, knew about the action five days beforehand and could have sought an injunction. Instead, the protesters were allowed to assemble and were then arrested.

Stone was unmasked as a suspected police officer 18 months later, just before the trial. Confronted by six friends with paperwork showing his real name, he admitted being in the Metropolitan police. The six published a short account of his confession in the green media, to general disbelief.

“Look at the bloke,” said one activist. “What did they do, send him from Hendon [police training centre] to spend five years smoking rollies and living in a tent? It boggles the mind that he’s spent so long doing basically f***-all, expending so much effort in terms of debate, slow, dull legwork and campaigning — and still be thinking, ‘Aha, fooling these oh-so-dangerous activists brilliantly’.”

Last week two police forces confirmed Stone’s status to The Sunday Times. “The individual is a Met officer,” said Nottinghamshire police. “He’s an undercover officer,” said the Metropolitan police. “We can’t say more.”

Scotland Yard refused requests for information about the SDS, a unit of the Met with a remit to prevent disorder. It was set up in 1968 after violence at anti-Vietnam war protests.

An insight into its methods came this year, when an SDS officer from the 1990s described his work. For four years the officer, Peter Daley, spent one day a week with his wife and family and six as a hate-filled Trotskyist on the wrong side of a riot shield. He was later diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and won an out-of-court settlement.

Stone has disappeared from Nottingham, leaving friends in shock. One said: “Whatever else Mark is, I do believe he had genuine feelings for those he had meaningful relationships with in the last seven years.”

The friend added: “I don’t believe he could be with such beautiful, wonderful people and not feel love.”

The protesters will be sentenced next month.

I think several of those protestors' and friends' comments are actually just c+p'd from Indymedia.

Iirc the Sunday Times is also the Brit paper with teh closest ties to the security services. Which makes one wonder about their motivation for writing this.

Iirc the Sunday Times is also the Brit paper with teh closest ties to the security services. Which makes one wonder about their motivation for writing this.

This week, following a step-up in leftwing political activity and confrontations with the police? After Millbank, when the police were widely acknowledged to have been caught off guard? Can't imagine for the life of me what message they'd be trying to send.

For four years the officer, Peter Daley, spent one day a week with his wife and family and six as a hate-filled Trotskyist on the wrong side of a riot shield. He was later diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and won an out-of-court settlement. .

Anyone have a photo of this Daley cunt?

This week, following a step-up in leftwing political activity and confrontations with the police?
No need to get all wikileaks about it, it's also the week the Ratcliffe trial ended, which Kennedy was involved in.

After Millbank, when the police were widely acknowledged to have been caught off guard?
Less widely acknowledged was the Met saying that Millbank wasn't down to activists, and undermining the case others had made for greater surveillance.

Iirc the Sunday Times is also the Brit paper with teh closest ties to the security services.

I'm not sure you could really quantify such a thing - is the Sunday Times more spook-receptive than its daily sister paper, or one of the Telegraph group papers, or The Guardian, or The Independent or IoS, or the Observer? Each has been more than comfortable passing off uncorroborated off-the-record tittle-tattle or 'briefings' or word-in-your-shell-like 'tip-offs' as genuine, journalistically-obtained scoops.

Samurai swords, 'eco-terrorist' tree spiking, packed lunches & expenses for protesting rentamob, Class War is full of fascists, the EVIL WOMBLES are behind everything, and plenty more spring to mind from recent years, and not just confined to one paper.

i don't think right-wing loons need the media to make things up for them. there were some classic comments on an article in the bucks free press on the Medriest strike the other day on the line of, "protesters being shipped down from Liverpool" and the like :D

Back
Top Bottom