Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Too many immigration threads on UK P&P?

becky p said:
That may not be entirely true phil. It looks as though HE really does believe he was in the Army.:)

And perhaps he was. Perhaps being a private,gave him an overwhelming ambition to be the person giving the orders.
He seems to spend a lot of time guarding these boards from unwelcome opinions.
Has he ever said what regiment he claimed to be in and what years?:p

Of course he hasn't. He has however displayed a crass ignorance of all things military, including the command structure of the British army. So if he was involved at all, I suspect he was used for bayonet practice.

phildwyer said:
Of course he hasn't. He has however displayed a crass ignorance of all things military, including the command structure of the British army. So if he was involved at all, I suspect he was used for bayonet practice.
Mr Savatte's bayonet?;)

becky p said:
True.:) I think you may need professional help though.:)

Heh. Actually I'd better my bottom dollar that Private Panda is currently in receipt of considerable professional psychiatric assistance. Most probably his soldier-boy fantasizing here is a form of therapy.

chilango said:
Realistically do you see any such campaign not strengthening the right?

To be perfectly honest I haven't thought about a campaign along these lines. There is an obvious problem with an 'anti-immigration' campaign in that 'anti-immigration' can mean all sorts of things. I don't think it should be raised as a single issue campaign.

Perhaps consider a trade union campaign where low wage work or illegal work is targeted. Although such a campaign wouldn't discriminate against immigrants it would inevitably end up targeting employers of immigrant labourers. Would this be an anti-immigration campaign?

I see debating immigration and issues around immigration on these boards as suiting the purpose of developing ideas rather than building a campaign. Even at the best of times, I'm not a great fan of marching about instructing the government to do things they never will.

phildwyer said:
Of course he hasn't.
Really phil?

You obviously haven't looked very hard, have you? :)
He has however displayed a crass ignorance of all things military, including the command structure of the British army. So if he was involved at all, I suspect he was used for bayonet practice.

As if you know the first thing, or should I say "as if you know the first thing that you haven't googled", eh phil? :D

teuchter said:
I'm not saying it's "right".

But it isn't the same thing as racism. A racist makes judgements about others based on their race - not ... nationality.

Surely that's the same thing.

chilango said:
but..say serbia for example...nationalist movement, nation-state etc. is a "nation" as much, or as little, as any other, no?

Actually I don't think there ever was much nationalism in Serbia. If anything the Serbian government was trying to maintain Yugoslavia, albeit in a hopelessly opportunistic fashion. There's certainly more nationalism in Serbia now than in the 1990's. If you compare the actions of Serbia with the actions of the Bosnia Serbs, you will find the latter were streets ahead in terms of brutality and ethnic cleansing, as were the Bosnian Croats and the Bosnian muslims. The various governments and movements tearing apart Yugoslavia were only pseudo-nationalistic at best in my opinion, most were just plain ethnically based.

nino_savatte said:
Who forms this "far left"? What do you mean by this bizarre statement? You and baldwin use the word "left" as though it was some sort of pejorative. I'd like to know why...or do you see yourselves as the "real left" or maybe you're actually on the right but can't summon up the courage to admit it here*.

*That's how I read it Nino.

phildwyer said:
Heh. Actually I'd better my bottom dollar that Private Panda is currently in receipt of considerable professional psychiatric assistance. Most probably his soldier-boy fantasizing here is a form of therapy.

Ah, we've reached the stage of you making insinuations of psychiatric problems.

You really are predictable you know, phil.

Do you follow a little checklist, or have you used the same tactics on so many posters now (what is it, a dozen now, more? Red Jezza, Snadge, TeeJay, WoW, nino, pk, MikeinWorthing all spring to mind) that you don't actually need a checklist anymore?

Still, if attempting to traduce people gets you through your day, then who are Urbanites to stop you exercising your right to display yourself as a "...caricature of intellectual pugnacity", eh professor?

Laughable. :D

phildwyer said:
Seriously though Private, did you ever see any action?

Seriously?

If you'd asked me before you thought it was a bright idea to try to badger me, I'd have answered you, as I've answered others on threads for the 4 years I've been on Urban.

As it is, you can do the work yourself with the internal search engine.

Call it the price you pay for discourtesy. :)

Julie said:
Splitting hairs Phil? Not like you ...

I'm not splitting hairs at all. Teuchter said:

teuchter said:
A racist makes judgements about others based on their race - not culture or nationality.

To which you responded:

Julie said:
Surely that's the same thing.

But quite obviously its *not* the same thing. Do you understand that?

ViolentPanda said:
I've always seen "internationalism" as somewhat of a misnomer anyway, unless it's being used to describe a pan-national political bloc or organisation, whereas when, for example, I talk of "internationalism" nowadays I mean expressions of fraternal and sororal connection, friendship and solidarity, and it appears that those I talk to take the word to mean this too.

:rolleyes: Humility appears to be missing from your intellectual armoury private.:D

becky p said:
That may not be entirely true phil. It looks as though HE really does believe he was in the Army.:)

And perhaps he was. Perhaps being a private,gave him an overwhelming ambition to be the person giving the orders.
He seems to spend a lot of time guarding these boards from unwelcome opinions.
Has he ever said what regiment he claimed to be in and what years?:p

Are you a returning banned poster? For someone who has seemingly been here for 5 minutes, you're very bloody bold.

ViolentPanda said:
Ah, we've reached the stage of you making insinuations of psychiatric problems.

No need to insinuate in your case. Lying about a career in the military is a common manifestation of a delusory condition. Now take your medication Private--on the double!

ViolentPanda said:
Seriously?

If you'd asked me before you thought it was a bright idea to try to badger me, I'd have answered you, as I've answered others on threads for the 4 years I've been on Urban.

Sure you have Private, I remember now. The Somme, wasn't it? Or is it Waterloo this week? No wait, don't tell me... you were Michael Caine in "Zulu," am I right?

becky p said:
:rolleyes: Humility appears to be missing from your intellectual armoury private.:D

What does humility have to do with the piece you quoted?

Nothing, as far as I can see.

Should I add "makes irrelevant observations" to "makes insinuations of homosexuality", or do you have a point?

becky p said:

Please don't mock Private Panda's intellectual armoury, its the only armoury he's ever known.

Julie said:
No Phil. Only a couple of you don't.

Get it right luv.

Hiya J.

Bear in mind that phil, believing himself omniscient, does in fact think of himself as representing *everyone*.

Even when the visual evidence says otherwise. :)

becky p said:
How long was he in the Army for ? (allegedly):p

He's made various different claims, they seem to vary according to the time of day. He's also claimed involvement in various unlikely campaigns, some of which would make him about 100 years old. Although come to think of it...

phildwyer said:
Sure you have Private, I remember now. The Somme, wasn't it? Or is it Waterloo this week? No wait, don't tell me... you were Michael Caine in "Zulu," am I right?

With which answer you only serve to emphasise your rather sad trollery. :)

Try again when you've grown a pair, eh phil. :p

phildwyer said:
No need to insinuate in your case. Lying about a career in the military is a common manifestation of a delusory condition. Now take your medication Private--on the double!

Just because VP plays you like a cat with a mouse, there's no need for a rise in blood pressure Phil.

'Tis only the internet.

After me: Take a few deep breaths, calm down and smile :)

Back
Top Bottom