Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

There is/was a US firm with a number of Starfighters that very rich people could pay to fly - they also negotiated access to US military ranges in order to be able to let them fly supersonic. Indeed, their presence as "enemies" at the various international airforce meets, often brought comments that the fastest/most capable fighters taking part were the private ones! eta - Seems they have refocused their business to government-contract R&D/Space/sattelite-related work recently. Maybe the millionaires plaything market isn't paying so well for them these days?

Also a firm in South Africa that took over the SA airforce/ex-RAF Buccaneers and operate them privately.

Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd also operated his personal aircraft collection on a commercial basis for some years, which included a couple of reasonably up to date jets - although after he sold it a while back, its new owners moved its focus to supplying aircraft to film/TV work.

There are quite a few places where you can fly in older jets, Starfighters, L-39s, and similar, but I was thinking along more current lines.

Until relatively recently you could pay 15 grand for a supersonic blast in a MiG-29, but they're off the menu now, for obvious reasons.

This is a useful description of how an implosion works - if all that's true they wouldn't have known what had hit them.

What happens in an implosion?​

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.
The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.
A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.
The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.
When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.
Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

Pretty nuts.

I wonder if the ting was creaking or showing signs of distress leading up to it, where they would have known something was up.
Yeah, that's a possibility - something we'll never know I suppose. But if they did there would have been nothing they could do about it down there - so hopefully if that did happen it was only brief before the implosion.

Lots of fun lessons today where the kids asked me stuff like, 'how can a submarine explode?'

I went with, 'It didn't explode, it was crushed. There are lots of things you have to get right to go to the bottom of the sea safely and they got a lot of them wrong. The good news is it would have been so fast they probably didn't know anything about it. Also nobody on Earth will ever try to get to the bottom of the sea in such a shoddy machine again'.

Absolutely fuck these clowns for forcing kids around the world to contemplate someone dying needlessly in such a terrible way. I hope they find enough of them to bury so I can someday piss on their graves.

Just as well he's gone to be honest, likely consulting for government initiatives to eliminate red tape.

Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate who was killed on board the Titan submersible, repeatedly dismissed warnings over the safety of the sub, emails between Rush and a deep sea exploration expert show.

In messages seen by the BBC, Rush described criticism of Titan’s safety measures as “baseless lies” from “industry players” who were trying to stop “new entrants from entering their small existing market”.

all thing aside this most of been one charming Mofo

come to the bottom of the sea in my tube with a window on the shitter

it ok they are sealing us in so if anything happens we are cooked :hmm:

Where does it get you though?

At best you can conclude that there's far greater ongoing global interest in the fate of (possibly) living people trapped beneath the ocean and the attempts to rescue them, than there is in the fates of a significantly greater number of migrants who died the day before. When you add in the extras that Maomao mentioned regarding the hubris, incompetence etc., that's wholly unsurprising.

Even here on U75, there's a 47 page thread about Titan, but there isn't one specifically about the Greek migrant disaster.
Yes but isn't that at least in part to do with the granular detail available in the media about the Titan incident that is completely absent in the case of the vessel that foundered off Greece.(In the former case we know ,for example, that the kid didn't even want to go but went cos Fathers day.)

Pretty nuts.

I wonder if the ting was creaking or showing signs of distress leading up to it, where they would have known something was up.

The more I read about Stockton Rush and his attitudes, the more I can imagine passengers expressing concern at noises and shaking, only for Rush to reply all offhandedly No, no, it's the the materials settling. It'll stop soon, you'll see...

Grim

The story wasn't bigger just because it was about rich people it was because of the suspense of not knowing whether they'd be found or not, not knowing whether they'd died horribly or died really fucking horribly. The Greek shipwreck was a terrible tragedy but it was all over by the time most of us heard about it. What is there to say about it? The Titanic story has several themes, wealth, hubris, health and safety, that are worth discussing. If we allocated our discussion tine according to what caused the most deaths and the biggest tragedies we'd spend most of our time talking about cardiovascular disease and cancer.
I know I am in the substantial minority but I really can't see that there is any equivalence between mass deaths possibly caused by the negligence of the Greek authorities and mass deaths caused by unfortunate but nevertheless naturally occurring disease

Oh my god
img_5047-jpeg.380410
Tbf there is something typically British about rich people choosing to cut corners resulting in horrific deaths

Or more pertinently, look at the case of Emilano Sala - Old plane with poor maintenance record/obfuscated ownership and an unlicensed pilot who had never been rated for night flying....!

Not mention the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter breaking flying rules in poor visibility to satisfy his boss, and John F Kennedy Jr flying at night over featureless water in an unfamiliar plane.

I do not rejoice at the death of rich people, but in too many cases the rich believe that they can bully and dictate to the natural world in the same way they can dominate other humans. Eg Princess Diana apparently felt that she did not need a seatbelt, unlike the rest of us meatballs.

This dangerous arrogance is often tested to destruction in that most temperamental of vehicles, the helicopter.

Back
Top Bottom