Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Yeah, but being the Prime Minister comes with a few perks. If I was him I'd have played with all the toys I could get my hands on.

You might* have done the job with a sense of decorum and responsibility which means people can overlook some of the perks. If you take the piss, and also take all the perks it doesn't look great really.

*Might being a very important word. ;)

This FT article covers some familiar ground but it's a concise summary. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer the rhetorical question at the end , however, the answer I would guess is very few , most deaths have occurred with the mass expansion of commercial flight.

It's a stupid question implying that it was ok for Rush to use similar health and safety regulations to over a century ago.

It's a stupid question implying that it was ok for Rush to use similar health and safety regulations to over a century ago.
The Wright Brothers were generally only endangering themselves, not taking fare-paying passengers.
Plus, we know much more about how materials react or know we do not fully understand it as with carbon fibre requiring more caution.
We also have computer simulations that would aid understanding.

The Wright Brothers were generally only endangering themselves, not taking fare-paying passengers.
Plus, we know much more about how materials react or know we do not fully understand it as with carbon fibre requiring more caution.
We also have computer simulations that would aid understanding.
We also know what it takes to make a sub that will survive underwater

Rush wasn’t pushing boundaries he was cutting corners

This, I think, is where hubris comes into it on the part of the passengers.

If wanted to fly onto the beach at benbecula and the options were either at a price I couldn't afford - or didn't exist - or Dave's Airline, run out of a shed at Shobdon Airfield, who can do it for £20, I probably ought to ask myself why every else does it for £300k, or doesn't do it, and how/why Dave can do it for £20.

Or more pertinently, look at the case of Emilano Sala - Old plane with poor maintenance record/obfuscated ownership and an unlicensed pilot who had never been rated for night flying....!

Some things you just can't do. Until recently the only way for civilians to fly in current jet fighters was to chuck the Russian military 20 grand, and I guess if a billionaire offered the British Army a quarter mill for a go in an Apache, he'd be told to fuck off.

There is/was a US firm with a number of Starfighters that very rich people could pay to fly - they also negotiated access to US military ranges in order to be able to let them fly supersonic. Indeed, their presence as "enemies" at the various international airforce meets, often brought comments that the fastest/most capable fighters taking part were the private ones! eta - Seems they have refocused their business to government-contract R&D/Space/sattelite-related work recently. Maybe the millionaires plaything market isn't paying so well for them these days?

Also a firm in South Africa that took over the SA airforce/ex-RAF Buccaneers and operate them privately.

Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd also operated his personal aircraft collection on a commercial basis for some years, which included a couple of reasonably up to date jets - although after he sold it a while back, its new owners moved its focus to supplying aircraft to film/TV work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom