Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Train-tanker-implosion.gif

Bahnhoff did a non-pig one. This is many, many times less than the pressure they'd have gone under.

So, a catastrophic implosion of the pressure hull is looking to be the likely failure mode for this complete hash of a submersible craft. The rear cover might have been attached with gaffer tape and dreams, but that landing frame looks like it could have been more firmly attached. If I were to make a bet, I'd say that it was the front viewing porthole that went first. That shit's most likely to fail if it's only one-third as strong as it needs to be.

Turns out that manned excursions to environments extremely hostile to human life are massively expensive and laden with redundancies for some pretty damn good reasons. NASA has learnt these lessons well, which is why their manned space program moves as slow as it does. Safety is not optional if you want to come back alive.
Or the hatch that bolted them in. Could be as simple as incorrect torque either over or under tightening the bolts.

Confirmed now, coastguard says catastrophic loss of pressure chamber.

guardian said:
Paul Hanken, an undersea expert, says rescuers found “five different major pieces of debris that told us that it was the remains of the Titan”.

The initial thing we found was the nose cone... then we found a large debris field. Within that large debris field, we found the front end bell of the pressure hull. That was the first indication that there was a catastrophic event.
Shortly after, we found a second smaller debris field within that debris field. We found the other end of the press hull that…basically comprised of the totality of that pressure chamber...
We will do our best to fully map out what’s down there.

i'm actually surprised no arrests have been reported yet. Billionaire bereaved wives tend to have clout and are well used to throwing cash and their legal system at problems less pressing.

i'm actually surprised no arrests have been reported yet. Billionaire bereaved wives tend to have clout and are well used to throwing cash and their legal system at problems less pressing.
Noises were made in the press today that they thought the 8 hour delay between loss of contact and it being reported were ‘too long’. That’s a moot point now given they were already dead. So I expect lawyers in the coming days.

They're skeletons already? Those deep sea fish don't fuck about :eek:
Just watched a video, can't remember who it was but did include the killer line 'you dont go to Arlington cemetery with a shovel', that said the bottom of the ocean is rich with Calcium Carbonate - which devolves bones.

So, a catastrophic implosion of the pressure hull is looking to be the likely failure mode for this complete hash of a submersible craft. The rear cover might have been attached with gaffer tape and dreams, but that landing frame looks like it could have been more firmly attached. If I were to make a bet, I'd say that it was the front viewing porthole that went first. That shit's most likely to fail if it's only one-third as strong as it needs to be.

Turns out that manned excursions to environments extremely hostile to human life are massively expensive and laden with redundancies for some pretty damn good reasons. NASA has learnt these lessons well, which is why their manned space program moves as slow as it does. Safety is not optional if you want to come back alive.
There was someone on a news programme earlier - a television presenter in the US who had reported on this thing and had been inside it. Apparently there were 18 boltholes, but only 17 went in during his demo because they couldn’t find the 18th, and this Stockton guy said ‘well, it doesn’t really matter, we’ve been down with less than 18 before’. So, the owner was very much a man operating without the full complement.

Or the hatch that bolted them in. Could be as simple as incorrect torque either over or under tightening the bolts.

I read reports which mentioned how badly under-specced the viewport was, hence my suspicion of that being the point of failure. But given how much of a Mickey Mouse operation OceanGate have turned out to be, it's entirely possible that some other component may have been the root cause of the catastrophe.

I read reports which mentioned how badly under-specced the viewport was, hence my suspicion of that being the point of failure. But given how much of a Mickey Mouse operation OceanGate have turned out to be, it's entirely possible that some other component may have been the root cause of the catastrophe.

Biggest viewport on a deep sea submersible was a selling point IIRC.

There's a reason they're usually small. IIRC the Trieste had a viewport consisting of a block of quartz eight inches thick.

e2a: The window on Trieste was plexiglass. But the exterior light bulbs were made of quartz. I was thinking of Barton and Beebe's Bathysphere, which had a quartz window. It was a mere three inches thick.

I can’t bend my head around folk throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds at someone who refused vigorous testing of a craft for an already dangerous pursuit. I suppose being rich usually makes you invincible.

Back
Top Bottom