Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Some interesting details here

OceanGate co-founder fears there may have been an 'instantaneous implosion'

The man who co-founded OceanGate with missing submersible pilot Stockton Rush has told BBC News there may have been an “instantaneous implosion” of the craft. Guillermo Söhnlein was being interviewed as news of the emergence of debris in that Atlantic came in.
He said he would not be surprised if there was something on the surface.
Söhnlein said: “I know that our protocol for lost comms is for the pilot to surface the sub. From the beginning I always thought that’s probably what Stockton would have done.
"In which case it becomes very difficult to find the sub because the surface ship wouldn’t have known it was coming up and wouldn’t have known where to look.
"My biggest fear through this whole thing watching the operations unfold is that they’re floating around on the surface and they’re just very difficult to find.”
He said there was a possibility there had been a catastrophe. “What I do know is regardless of the sub, when you’re operating at depth the pressure is so great on any sub that if there is a failure it would be an instantaneous implosion. If that’s what happened that’s what would have happened four days ago,” he said..
Söhnlein, who left OceanGate 10 years ago, said he would not have acted differently in the circumstances. He said: “If anything, I think we need to go back and learn from what’s happening, find out what’s happened, take those lessons and carry them forward.”

Attachments

• 1687453505646.gif
    1687453505646.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 13
Commentators are saying debris field is pretty obvious code for completely fucked. They wouldn't have commented at all if they weren't relatively sure. For the two old risk takers and adventurers on board it's not a terrible death at all, I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to go in their sleep; for the rich folk I'm not that bothered at all and while not exactly wishing it upon them, happy to joke about it; I do feel sorry for the kid though.

Christ, it keeps on giving this one.

A friend of Stockton Rush, who is on board the missing Titan sub, said the OceanGate CEO told him the weather was “very, very bad” in an email the day before the vessel went missing.
Arthur Loibl described his experience on a 2021 dive to the Titanic as “a kamikaze operation”. The lights were turned off during the 2.5-hour journey to and from the wreckage site, with a fluorescent glow stick providing the only light, he said.

He added that he agreed with some experts who have called for trips to the Titanic wreck to stop.

This way of diving down there has to be stopped forever.

A glow stick. FFS.

Christ, it keeps on giving this one.

A friend of Stockton Rush, who is on board the missing Titan sub, said the OceanGate CEO told him the weather was “very, very bad” in an email the day before the vessel went missing.
Arthur Loibl described his experience on a 2021 dive to the Titanic as “a kamikaze operation”. The lights were turned off during the 2.5-hour journey to and from the wreckage site, with a fluorescent glow stick providing the only light, he said.

He added that he agreed with some experts who have called for trips to the Titanic wreck to stop.

A glow stick. FFS.
No doubt another find whilst at the camping shop

There are going to be so many shit plays written about this, just another reason to hope that when the thing’s found it’ll be clear they imploded or whatever ages ago, so that the plays are short.

Interior, Titan submersible. Five men are crammed into a small, dimly lit space.

Older man, with French accent: "Do you hear someth..."

Stage goes dark. "NO REFUNDS" sign flashes.

Landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible' among the debris

We have just had an update from dive expert David Mearns, who says the debris includes "a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible".
Mearns is a friend of passengers aboard the Titan.
David Mearns has told the BBC that the president of the Explorers Club (which is connected to the diving and rescue community), says the debris includes "a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible".

The youngster is probably the only real victim in this sad scenario. The rest were old enough to properly evaluate consequences of toying around at great depth locked within a death trap for money. Mercifully they all went instantly, possibly even enjoying some moment or other. Playing fast and loose, essentially gambling, with extreme danger, is deranged, possibly psychotic behaviour. Fuck me.

Non-commercial bunch of explorers and engineers (or similar) building it to try and reach the depths and push the boundaries of what's possible I would have admiration for, even with the risks if they all fully understand them.

Commercial endeavour run by someone who seemed happy to ignore safety warnings and concerns to charge rich people to go down for no good reason beyond some kind of jaunt is complete fucking stupidity.

Non-commercial bunch of explorers and engineers (or similar) building it to try and reach the depths and push the boundaries of what's possible I would have admiration for, even with the risks if they all fully understand them.

Commercial endeavour run by someone who seemed happy to ignore safety warnings and concerns to charge rich people to go down for no good reason beyond some kind of jaunt is complete fucking stupidity.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Back
Top Bottom