Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Biggest viewport on a deep sea submersible was a selling point IIRC.

There's a reason they're usually small. IIRC the Trieste had a viewport consisting of a block of quartz eight inches thick.

And OceanGate's idiot CEO still cheaped out on it! :facepalm:

I can’t bend my head around folk throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds at someone who refused vigorous testing of a craft for an already dangerous pursuit. I suppose being rich usually makes you invincible.

Turns out that money only gives you power in the human world, not necessarily over nature. If I were designing a submersible craft for carrying civilian tourists, I'd spare no expense. But maybe that's because I don't have whatever brain-rot it is that afflicts the obscenely wealthy.

Dunno, that week in Febuary when no one was entirely sure if we were being invaded by aliens, and the US government had public state it probably wasn't the case is up there.
yeah that was a good laugh tbh

There was someone on a news programme earlier - a television presenter in the US who had reported on this thing and had been inside it. Apparently there were 18 boltholes, but only 17 went in during his demo because they couldn’t find the 18th, and this Stockton guy said ‘well, it doesn’t really matter, we’ve been down with less than 18 before’. So, the owner was very much a man operating without the full complement.
jesus fucking christ everything i learn about this guy just makes him even more of a weapon

The Trieste (the first vessel to reach the deepest part of the ocean, a feat not repeated for decades) was a fabulous piece of engineering. The ballast was iron balls held in place with electromagnets in vertical dropshafts, so that an electrical failure would automatically drop the ballast and bring the vessel to the surface.

There was someone on a news programme earlier - a television presenter in the US who had reported on this thing and had been inside it. Apparently there were 18 boltholes, but only 17 went in during his demo because they couldn’t find the 18th, and this Stockton guy said ‘well, it doesn’t really matter, we’ve been down with less than 18 before’. So, the owner was very much a man operating without the full complement.

17 did seem like a strange number of bolts.

Ah, you beat me to it.
There was a video I saw the other day, just some random on YouTube, showing the sub with the song of ‘knock three times on the ceiling if you want me, twice on the pipe…’ playing over it. I had actually felt a sense of hope when it was reported that morning that banging had been detected so I hated myself for laughing, but it was quite witty.

Probably likely it imploded on the way down when contact was first lost.
I'm not understanding why the craft would have imploded or collapsed when it was designed to withstand pressure of the type it was operating at when it was lost.

The hulls of the two lost US submarines USS Thresher & USS Scorpion collapsed at depths that far exceeded their test depths.

I'm not understanding why the craft would have imploded or collapsed when it was designed to withstand pressure of the type it was operating at when it was lost.

The hulls of the two lost US submarines USS Thresher & USS Scorpion collapsed at depths that far exceeded their test depths.

Because the company didn't create or test very well beyond fag packet maths

Those two US subs were designed by engineers, rather than being cobbled together by a hubristic sociopath.

Back
Top Bottom