Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Coastguard said this will continue to be a rescue mission time notwithstanding is all

I imagine they'll keep it up while conditions remain favourable today.

It is what it is in the end. The only chance for them would be if they were located somewhere near the surface, but a) they'd have to be found and b) there are a lot of other scenarios, and many of them are probably more likely.

Pointless waste of life to fuel one man's dreams of being the Musk/Bezos of the seas. My Schrodinger's hope is rapidly going from 'hope they're still alive' to 'hope they died 90 hours ago'. It was a really stupid trip, but we all do stupid shit that could get us killed. I'd like to think I have the ability to assess this kind of risk, and probably could (know a little about material science, have engineering family etc), but there are undoubtedly other things where I'd get it hopelessly wrong (probably something to do with cycling long distances). Although definitely wouldn't be paying $250k for the privilege.

Think what comes across is glee is really just some level of frustration at how daft this was, and the enormous amount of resources that were required in a vain attempt to rectify one man's hubris. Juxtaposed with the drownings of a few days ago it seems deeply unjust, and think it's justifiable to pillory those involved who should really have known better (which, to be clear, is somewhere between 1 and 4 of them). At least a bit. But they were still human, and I think you can do that and still be utterly horrified at the prospect they might have lived 96 hours. Although on balance they were probably crab feed when the line went dead.

I imagine they'll keep it up while conditions remain favourable today.

It is what it is in the end. The only chance for them would be if they were located somewhere near the surface, but a) they'd have to be found and b) there are a lot of other scenarios, and many of them are probably more likely.

Pointless waste of life to fuel one man's dreams of being the Musk/Bezos of the seas. My Schrodinger's hope is rapidly going from 'hope they're still alive' to 'hope they died 90 hours ago'. It was a really stupid trip, but we all do stupid shit that could get us killed. I'd like to think I have the ability to assess this kind of risk, and probably could (know a little about material science, have engineering family etc), but there are undoubtedly other things where I'd get it hopelessly wrong (probably something to do with cycling long distances). Although definitely wouldn't be paying $250k for the privilege.

Think what comes across is glee is really just some level of frustration at how daft this was, and the enormous amount of resources that were required in a vain attempt to rectify one man's hubris. Juxtaposed with the drownings of a few days ago it seems deeply unjust, and think it's justifiable to pillory those involved who should really have known better (which, to be clear, is somewhere between 1 and 4 of them). At least a bit. But they were still human, and I think you can do that and still be utterly horrified at the prospect they might have lived 96 hours. Although on balance they were probably crab feed when the line went dead.

Of course it's perfectly reasonable to pillory those responsible but the crapness and Heath Robinson approach to the whole venture has only really come to light over the last 48 hours, by which time the glee merchants were well into their stride. It's also just an extension of an attitude that's been present on these boards towards wealthy people/Tories etc., forever, so let's not pretend it was anything else.

As far as who should have known better is concerned, the corner-cutting prick of a CEO for sure. The passengers I'm not so sure about. Depends how it was sold to them. Ok they all signed waivers (which by the way, are likely to be valueless if criminal proceedings are initiated) but most of us have probably signed similar in the absolute expectation that nothing would go wrong. I've signed them for bungee jumping and skydiving. Plus of course they would have taken reassurance in the knowledge that the vessel had already completed several dives of this type without serious incident. But I agree that the one person who's completely blameless is the kid.

Maybe not. What a fucking childish thing to do. pathetic actually.

If you read this as a defence of billionaires. You are off your noggin. The only people looking bad with those sort of comments are those making them. Not advancing anything or fighting the good fight. You just look like a prick. Fine, I don’t really care but you can’t really complain about the consequences doing that in a work setting.
Billionaires are our enemy, at least in my world view. I don't wish him dead (and hope they'd be found) butt the untold misery people like him cause does rather colour my reaction to this misadventure.

Billionaires are our enemy, at least in my world view. I don't wish him dead (and hope they'd be found) butt the untold misery people like him cause does rather colour my reaction to this misadventure.
at the bar in 'spoons. yesterday, bloke next to me suddenly, out of nowhere asked me "have they found that sub yet, mate". Told him politely that I didn't know and didn't much care, tbh. Fucking state of the media when hundreds are regularly going down to their deaths in the med with hardly a mention.

Maybe not. What a fucking childish thing to do. pathetic actually.

If you read this as a defence of billionaires. You are off your noggin. The only people looking bad with those sort of comments are those making them. Not advancing anything or fighting the good fight. You just look like a prick. Fine, I don’t really care but you can’t really complain about the consequences doing that in a work setting.
Venturing an opinion at work can be risky, but being a billionaire is hardly a protected characteristic, so I fail to see what a_chap did wrong and why he needed to apologise.
I’ve made no secret about my view of the monarchy at my workplace and have not expected to get into trouble and nor did I. (Sharing this view with the public is a different matter)

at the bar in 'spoons. yesterday, bloke next to me suddenly, out of nowhere asked me "have they found that sub yet, mate". Told him politely that I didn't know and didn't much care, tbh. Fucking state of the media when hundreds are regularly going down to their deaths in the med with hardly a mention.
The clue in why it's news is in the fact that one is hundreds and regular as you say and one is a tiny submarine visiting the Titanic.

Venturing an opinion at work can be risky, but being a billionaire is hardly a protected characteristic, so I fail to see what a_chap did wrong and why he needed to apologise.
I’ve made no secret about my view of the monarchy at my workplace and have not expected to get into trouble and nor did I. (Sharing this view with the public is a different matter)
If it’s typed and recorded on internal communications then work will see it as an issue. I bad mouth the class enemy at work all the time to workmates but as it’s a conversation there is very little that can held against me. Recording it leads back to you.

If it’s typed and recorded on internal communications then work will see it as an issue. I bad mouth the class enemy at work all the time to workmates but as it’s a conversation there is very little that can held against me. Recording it leads back to you.
Good point.

Ocean Gate-gate has been top kwality news to be fair. We've got a homemade sub full of mostly loathsome people fiddling with an Xbox controller while they slowly asphyxiate, a massive but futile SAR operation and the wreck of the Titanic. It's got everything.

It was a really stupid trip, but we all do stupid shit that could get us killed. I'd like to think I have the ability to assess this kind of risk...
As somone who has done a fair amount of stupid things and nearly died, I dont think this is anywhere in the same category of bad judgements. This is a rich man fullfilling an ego driven fantasy (a bizarre one where you look at rusting metal whilst sat on a toilet) in which he fired the safety expert for saying it wasn't safe and thinks everyone confidently telling him that he's going to kill people is woke nonsense. Its beyond stupid, its arrogance on a scale that's going to take some beating. Like lots of rich people, the captain of the USS Deep Shit is definitely on the sociopath spectrum imo

Sorry I've not really been following this and life's too short to read the whole thread. A couple of questions: (a) is the bloke who organized the whole thing (Rush?) down there with them and (b) what's this about the Xbox?

Ta :)

Sorry I've not really been following this and life's too short to read the whole thread. A couple of questions: (a) is the bloke who organized the whole thing (Rush?) down there with them and (b) what's this about the Xbox?

Ta :)

a) Yes
b) The vehicle is controlled with an x-box handset, leading some to speculate that it might not be particularly technically competent.

Back
Top Bottom