Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Yes but the sub in the pic could be anything. The latest film, the latest fucking tik tok dance. I mean I get it, our priorities are fucked. But it's not either or, both should get the same coverage. It's a fascinating storybwith all the right ingredients and on a human level can see why people are transfixed. It's entertainment, which I guess is sick in itself - but we are sick lol

I don't begrudge it, it is just bullshit though isn't it?

I mean I think pushing the limits of human endurance and endeavour is pretty admirable tbh, even people that ascend Everest by paying a guide and Sherpas have a fucking hard time and have to be very fit, determined and lucky. There's all sorts of incredible, risky and genuinely amazing feats people try that I admire.

But this was just rich people paying huge sums of money to sit in a very questionably run thing that the CEO had avoided all safety warnings about, and which didn't push the boundaries of anything apart from foolishness, likely so they could all post about it on Instagram and maybe do a TED talk or something. I don't wish ill or dead of them at all, but it's fucking insane and has pretty much no redeeming features about it at all really.

Juxtaposed with poor people drowning trying to cross bodies of water the whole thing just illustrates the insanity and fuckedupness of the modern world to me tbh.
Bloke they had on PM was interesting had signed up for the thing (not necessarily this trip) but backed out. Didn't want to go into it but sounds like he had safety concerns.

They ended up talking about adventure explorers and it being a preserve of the rich. He said no and cited Livingston....Argued at the radio ...those days are gone. Was thinking Allcock and Brown crossing the Atlantic if they hadn't made it they were dead making got them fame and quite a bit of money - those days are gone all the big adventures are done

Lol now tell us how the extreme left and the extreme right are basically the same thing
Who was talking about the extreme left? I wasn’t. I was talking about sociopathy. I didn’t associate that with the extreme left - I didn’t even touch on that aspect. I didn't and haven’t made that link in anything I’ve said. That was you that came up with that all by yourself.

Yes but the sub in the pic could be anything. The latest film, the latest fucking tik tok dance. I mean I get it, our priorities are fucked. But it's not either or, both should get the same coverage. It's a fascinating storybwith all the right ingredients and on a human level can see why people are transfixed. It's entertainment, which I guess is sick in itself - but we are sick lol
As OU's cartoon graphically illustrates what we want is indeed to be entertained what we don't want and are therefore not given is the truth

Well what do you want? A candlelit vigil? Thrrr's an ocean between the irreverant commentary you find here and genuine sadism.
Ok - be bitchy if you like. I’ve actually made quite a few irreverent comments here, on this thread about this event, myself.

I find it rather boring and not as compelling as other news stories. I hate any kind of groundless speculation though and apparently that makes ME the weirdo.

Frankly, my mother was a Pan Am stewardess in the 80’s and was signed off sick for pretty much all of 1989 because she couldn’t face it
Doesn't surprise me at all. Back then PamAm was still going, a business associate told me that he was on a PanAm 747 from New York to London and they was being thrown around in a horrific thunderstorm.

He heard one of the flight attendants say to another "Those assholes in the cockpit are going to get us all killed by wrecking this bird, just to get a stupid party!"

Doesn't surprise me at all. Back then PamAm was still going, a business associate told me that he was on a PanAm 747 from New York to London and they was being thrown around in a horrific thunderstorm.

He heard one of the flight attendants say to another "Those assholes in the cockpit are going to get us all killed by wrecking this bird, just to get a stupid party!"
What?

Chinny reckon

Bloke they had on PM was interesting had signed up for the thing (not necessarily this trip) but backed out. Didn't want to go into it but sounds like he had safety concerns.

They ended up talking about adventure explorers and it being a preserve of the rich. He said no and cited Livingston....Argued at the radio ...those days are gone. Was thinking Allcock and Brown crossing the Atlantic if they hadn't made it they were dead making got them fame and quite a bit of money - those days are gone all the big adventures are done

TBF even the "adventure exploration" label is a big fib, none of this sort of thing requires effort. In many ways its just a posher version of what a lot of people are doing via the Transport Museum this year and paying to visit somewhere one isnt normally able to go, though I concede the closed parts of Shepherds Bush station is not exactly the briny deep.

I haven't seen anyone 'take pleasure' in their death, at least not in a sadistic way. There's been a bit of 'just desserts' stuff, some comparisons to other people that have died in the sea recently and the like but nothing particularly cruel. I'm not sure what you're on about or who you're talking to.
I've laughed at some stuff in this thread. I've previously worked as a journalist, and much like many people who work in the medical profession, emergency services or forces, you tend to develop a bit of a dark sense of humour. It's a sort of pressure valve. And some of the absurd details are laughable, like the gaming controller, the loo behind a curtain that is prime position for looking out of the viewing porthole. And some people have said some funny shit.

Have you not heard of lockerbie

I've laughed at some stuff in this thread. I've previously worked as a journalist, and much like many people who work in the medical profession, emergency services or forces, you tend to develop a bit of a dark sense of humour. It's a sort of pressure valve. And some of the absurd details are laughable, like the gaming controller, the loo behind a curtain that is prime position for looking out of the viewing porthole. And some people have said some funny shit.
They have. And there’s definitely a lot to laugh at. Quarter of a million to gaze out over a sluice pan is up there.
My point is, threre's lots of reasons why flight attentdents need time off leading to them not being able to face flying.
I see. The aftermath of Lockerbie is probably not the same as being sick of a pilot that flies through turbulence. But ok.

As OU's cartoon graphically illustrates what we want is indeed to be entertained what we don't want and are therefore not given is the truth
re truth, the one time the press did once run with a picture of a dead migrant kid washed up on a beach all of a sudden there was a mass outpouring of sympathy. its interesting to imagine what the world would be like if it the press really cared about normal people's suffering and showed it sympathetically.

You don't have any business associates

The fact they're either dead or will b e shortly is certainly speculation. But hardly goundless...
Whatever, I just find it bizarre that people who are interested can’t just sit on their hands until there is actual news.
Felt that about a lot of news events though

Back
Top Bottom