Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

i suppose it is possible that the mini sub tried to enter the Titanic wreck and it all went wrong. In which case a full refund may be payable given the clear health and safety infringements.
From what I’ve read it relied on communication from the support vessel for directions via text messages! It lost contact before the ETA so it could literally be anywhere.

i suppose it is possible that the mini sub tried to enter the Titanic wreck and it all went wrong. In which case a full refund may be payable given the clear health and safety infringements.

Nah, that would be a different order of stupidity. They may have just driven into it by accident of course...

Thing is they lost contact at 1:45 and the descent takes 'over two hours'. I suppose there's a chance that they managed to come down on top of it, or some isolated piece of wreckage.

Nah, that would be a different order of stupidity. They may have just driven into it by accident of course...

Thing is they lost contact at 1:45 and the descent takes 'over two hours'. I suppose there's a chance that they managed to come down on top of it, or some isolated piece of wreckage.
You’d think they’d abort mission upon losing contact. We can only speculate why they didn’t or couldn’t.

You’d think they’d abort mission upon losing contact. We can only speculate why they didn’t or couldn’t.

Depends on what there procedures were, and whether the CEO bloke felt he was bound by them.

You should have a 'lost comms procedure' - an agreed plan for what you'll do if you lose communication. That could be an immediate RTB with the support team doing a Mayday call, or keep going but don't cross X line without Comms with the support team waiting Y hours before making a mayday call, or even fuck it, it'll be fine - but there should be a plan.

The other issue whether the CEO driving it was thinking 'ah, we've lost Comms before but it's been fine, and if I bin it off I've got to refund these idots a million dollars...'.

Its all just so sloppy - everything done to the lowest price, and with the assumption that nothing will go wrong. Might as well have just lined them up on the jetty and shot them...

Sorry for being flippant but I imagine them all doing confessions for their sins - loving each other etc

How did this text message thing work? Phones won't work deep under the sea.

I'm just thinking what this 'electrical failure' (theory) is about. Was everything (the boat, those screens, 'communication') all powered by the some poundshop 2 for 1 packs of AAA?

Was there back up in case of failure? Even if it was only 4 packs of AAA.

And yeah, why not just abort?

Tl;dr? Aliens.

Edit. That took me time to write. I see others are asking similar questions

Depends on what there procedures were, and whether the CEO bloke felt he was bound by them.

You should have a 'lost comms procedure' - an agreed plan for what you'll do if you lose communication. That could be an immediate RTB with the support team doing a Mayday call, or keep going but don't cross X line without Comms with the support team waiting Y hours before making a mayday call, or even fuck it, it'll be fine - but there should be a plan.

The other issue whether the CEO driving it was thinking 'ah, we've lost Comms before but it's been fine, and if I bin it off I've got to refund these idots a million dollars...'.

Its all just so sloppy - everything done to the lowest price, and with the assumption that nothing will go wrong. Might as well have just lined them up on the jetty and shot them...
Yeah, I suppose one scenario would be that he just continued the descent as keeping the money was imperative. It does kind of seem this whole thing has been run on a shoe string needing paying punters to keep the operation afloat (pun lol).

What prospect of the people who built/operated this bought-on-wish sardine can facing manslaughter charges?

Probably none, as there will be watertight (sorry) waivers involved. The company will dust itself off and rebrand as a luxury burial-at-sea experience for CEOs who think their money somehow makes them a fucking viking.

What prospect of the people who built/operated this bought-on-wish sardine can facing manslaughter charges?

Probably none, as there will be watertight (sorry) waivers involved. The company will dust itself off and rebrand as a luxury burial-at-sea experience for CEOs who think their money somehow makes them a fucking viking.
Buried at sea? Not what he had in mind. I wonder what the chances are that this twat of a CEO had reserved himself a storage tank of his very own in some cryogenics facility, with dreams of his second coming upon a grateful world. Way higher than average.

I hope they aren’t dead for three reasons. One, it’s a horrible way for anyone to die. Two, the 19 year old is blameless and had his whole life to live. Three, if they survive, the idiot CEO can be sued into oblivion and possibly jailed. That would be the ideal outcome.

Sounds like how most of the world is run. We live in a lowest-bidder world.
And at even the highest level. I believe it was John Glenn, the first American to go into space, who answered the question of how he felt when he first entered the capsule, by replying something like “Well, my life depended on 150,000 pieces of equipment – each bought from the lowest bidder.”

despite having been on the sailing before the sinking of the Herald of Free enterprise...

I too have been on ferries that didn't sink.

When that helicopter crashed at Leicester City, my stepdad's mum was living in Leicester.

Mrs Frank was once in a car that stopped to avoid hitting a cat. The car that overtook hers was then destroyed by a roadside bomb a hundred yards up the road.

Back
Top Bottom