Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

There are a number of problems with high altitudes. Altitude sickness can range from mild to severe. People can and do die from it. Its one of those things where you can be in real trouble before you recognize it and far from help when it happens:

I've had the mild version and it wasn't fun.
Just shows how lucky we are with perfect conditions to live on ground level.

Given the genius of Elon Musk wouldnt it have been advantageous to have had him aboard as a sort of fall back fail safe feature of this disastrous cruise to the bottom? i'm left wondering if AI couldn't have made a better fist of the design and operation of this cigar tube vessel.

The design specs of this vessel are hugely impressive? No ability to exit without external help. Deep sea capability rendering vessel almost impossible to reach to administer rescue. Co-ordinated rocking to release ballast. What fucking next? An incorporated log burning stove for use when temperature drops? Fuck me.

Manned Deep Sea vessels are the equivalent of space craft and the environment arguably more dangerous

If anything goes wrong you are absolutely totally fucked and on your own so a lot of the design for this makes sense on paper it’s just that the environment will kill you dead the moment it goes wrong so it sounds even worse

The design specs of this vessel are hugely impressive? No ability to exit without external help. Deep sea capability rendering vessel almost impossible to reach to administer rescue. Co-ordinated rocking to release ballast. What fucking next? An incorporated log burning stove for use when temperature drops? Fuck me.
Have you read what they were using to manoeuvre the thing with?

I don't think there exit can open.
Plus even.if it did the water coming in would hit them like a truck. Then they would have to clamber out one by one. Then a 120 meter swim to the surface with no air.
Then don't die of exposure.
Then be spotted as tiny dots in the water rather than one big truck sized objects.
Forgot to add they would presumably also get the bends.

Or an embolism if they tried to hold their breath.

You have it backwards, unless you like suffering. Lack of O2 is where you slowly drift off into permanent sleep. Too much CO2 is where you know you're "drowning" and gasp for air with your less vestiges of strength.
I mean, neither is preferable but if you have to die lack of O2 is the better one.
The other one is going to happen though.

Manned Staffed Deep Sea vessels are the equivalent of space craft and the environment arguably more dangerous

If anything goes wrong you are absolutely totally fucked and on your own so a lot of the design for this makes sense on paper it’s just that the environment will kill you dead the moment it goes wrong so it sounds even worse
;-)

Given the genius of Elon Musk wouldnt it have been advantageous to have had him aboard as a sort of fall back fail safe feature of this disastrous cruise to the bottom? i'm left wondering if AI couldn't have made a better fist of the design and operation of this cigar tube vessel.
They should have attached musk as ballast and jettisoned him to ascend

Here's a winner for understatement of the whole episode.

David Marquet, a retired US Navy captain, said OceanGate may have gone “a little too far” with launching submersible carrying five people to the wreck of the Titanic.

In an interview with the BBC, Marquet said he admired “the innovative spirit” of the company behind the vessel

“Sometimes we push the bounds and innovation gets ahead of where regulation is,” he said.

I wonder what a per head cost comparison is between the search/recue efforts for this event and those for the recent loss of the Lucky Sailor (you really couldn't make this shit up...Herald of Free Enterprise anybody!).

Also worth listening to/looking at the very different coverage the two groups of people have been subjected to.

Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
I know what is missing now is a submersible as opposed to a submarine and it has just 5 people on board who opted to take the risk; it's still a bloody horrible way to go.
It reminds me of The Kursk, the Russian submarine on which 118 died.
Fancy going down to the depths of the ocean in a little tube, with very basic toilet facilities and just a curtain for privacy.
This may be more akin to the loss of USS Thresher or USS Scorpion, which were sudden, catastrophic losses due to structural causes. We may be optimistic that those crews were largely unaware of their instant deaths

and also this one

Surely The Premature Burial. Or the fall of the house of Usher. Or the Casque of Amontillado. Bit of a thing with confined spaces.

Also for anyone reading Poe, best to get a version that has some of Aubrey Beardsley's and/or Harry Clarke's illustrations.

i suppose it is possible that the mini sub tried to enter the Titanic wreck and it all went wrong. In which case a full refund may be payable given the clear health and safety infringements.

Back
Top Bottom