Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Reveling in the slow, terrifying and painful deaths of other people, one of whom is a 19 year old kid, because you don't like their politics.

You're disgusting.

only reveling in the Tory donor situation
but commenting on the daftness of anyone to get into someone home made death trap and go down 12000 feet.

We could compare it to the 650 or so mostly Pakistanis in the Med, I'm sure the rescue effort there was ~100x more than for these guys, yeah?

Depends - the situation in the Med has a dozen plus issues that trail in its wake (war, climate change, governance, economic, EU, Greece, Greek coastguard etc..) that are of far greater significance that the (relatively) simple and low-ish level of regulation of sea going vessels. The med situation is the one politicians and civil society should be talking about.

The rescue/recovery in the north Atlantic is the one where youyiu can point a cameras at something, and you could argue, actually achieve something today/tomorrow.

Important Vs urgent.

Yeah I know, the pricks in the sub have no hope of being saved, so the correct effort the various countries are expending should be zero and you, of course can't multiply that by anything other than the effort expended to save the poor sods in the Med.

No, most of the cost will be opportunity costs. The military assets tasked would have been doing something anyway and any OSV that could get there would most likely be between taskings and will be paid for by one insurance company or other. Plus even if unsuccessful the learning will be useful in future events. There is also the benefit to family of knowledge even if the operation does become recovery not rescue.

Whatever happened to start it, in the recent Greek tragedy there was a massive, mostly Greek, SAR operation after which did result in the saving of 104 people, so it’s wrong to say zero effort was made there.

Last edited:
Depends - the situation in the Med has a dozen plus issues that trail in its wake (war, climate change, governance, economic, EU, Greece, Greek coastguard etc..) that are of far greater significance that the (relatively) simple and low-ish level of regulation of sea going vessels. The med situation is the one politicians and civil society should be talking about.

The rescue/recovery in the north Atlantic is the one where youyiu can point a cameras at something, and you could argue, actually achieve something today/tomorrow.

Important Vs urgent.

Also, I suspect that the two problems require a rather different set of skills and resources in order to remedy them. So the "why this but not that" strikes me as being a bit of a red herring.

not if all the king's men could not put an egg back together not much hope with a sub

Last edited:
Also, I suspect that the two problems require a rather different set of skills and resources in order to remedy them. So the "why this but not that" strikes me as being a bit of a red herring.
yes - also tiny submarine 3 miles down visiting the most famous shipwreck of all time - it's holly wood shit. but i do understand the choice of extent of coverage, rescue efforts etc. but no matter how you look at it, it's an interesting story in and of itself.

Important Vs urgent.

tbf had the authorities of Greece and Italy swung in to action in the same way as the US and Canada there would have been a good prospect of saving many of the 650, (leaving aside that it seems likely it is the actions of Greece that caused this in the first place), those on the sub were either flat as a pancake in a millisecond or doomed to die slow, cold, lingering death. Either way they were goners as soon as their vessel failed.

No, most of the cost will be opportunity costs. The military assets tasked would have been doing something anyway

The Greek and Italian military assets would have been doing something anyway too, other than pushing-back migrants and refugees.

and any OSV that could get there would most likely be between taskings and will be paid for by one insurance company or other. Plus even if unsuccessful the learning will be useful in future events.

You think these jaunts to gawp at a mass-grave are insured?

There is also the benefit to family of knowledge even if the operation does become recovery not rescue.

Yeah there is that, many of the ~650 dead don't have family, cos they're all dead now too, ffs :rolleyes:

so what's the science of them making a swim for it? would they explode or something as soon as they left it? #science #diving

seriously - is that an option lol?

Even that makes you scum.

You're going on my ignore list. It's a list of one.

Imagine that one of them was a keen cyclist, that should get you in the right place.

My genuine thought on this is similar to how I feel about Everest deaths... You have to be aware of the risks you're taking, and things will inevitably go wrong for some. In this case they are not killing sherpas while they're at it, which is somewhat better, but that dad and the CEO can fuck off frankly. No 19 year old is a competent judge of risk. Probably broadly supportive of rescue efforts; I think the hypocrisy wrt the recent ship deaths is an entirely fair point, but this is more something to hammer politicians with than the fault of any of the parties directly involved here (the passengers, ships coming to rescue etc). Sincerely hope everyone involved can sue the shit out of Rush or his estate.

tbf had the authorities of Greece and Italy swung in to action in the same way as the US and Canada there would have been a good prospect of saving many of the 650, (leaving aside that it seems likely it is the actions of Greece that caused this in the first place), those on the sub were either flat as a pancake in a millisecond or doomed to die slow, cold, lingering death. Either way they were goners as soon as their vessel failed.

You can’t have it both ways. One of the main hypotheses in the Med is that the activity of Greek coastguard led to the incident . This may or may not be true. But no one is saying they weren’t there early on. Hundreds died. 104 were saved.

so what's the science of them making a swim for it? would they explode or something as soon as they left it? #science #diving

Even if they could get out, they are over 2km down. And if they could manage to rise 2km to the surface the nitrogen in the blood would kill them.

They hare 4000 m beneath the surface. even if they could get out without being crushed, which obviously they can’t, they can’t swim vertically 4K without wetsuit, breathing equipment. The temperature is another issue. and knowing which way up is. Not so easy when you’re underwater.

You can’t have it both ways. One of the main hypotheses in the Med is that the activity of Greek coastguard led to the incident . This may or may not be true. But no one is saying they weren’t there early on. Hundreds died. 104 were saved.

What’s your Wow for?

In addition to what xenon mentioned, they're bolted into their craft, and have no access to unscrew them from the inside.

So to add to the nightmare thoughts.in what should just be a philosophical thought experiment but isn’t.

Given they may be alive, and the experience of at least two (Rush and Nargeolent) means there woukd be an excellent understanding of the search and rescue operation and the issues faced, would you, in Shahzada Dawood’s place suggest/request one of the others kill you to decrease oxygen consumption/ increase the window for rescue by 20% or about 8 hours, to increase the odds of your son surviving?

What about the others, as captain does Rush have a responsibility to the others to do this and give them extra time?
I wouldn’t - because I’d want to be alive in case my child was next on the kill list. You can’t protect anyone if you’re already dead, so no, I wouldn’t take myself out/let myself be killed. ‘Put your own oxygen mask on first’ etc.

Back
Top Bottom