Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Am I right to say that the CEO of this sub tourist company is the guy who first took James Cameron down to see the Titanic wreck (not sure if in this sub or a different different one though)?

different sub i believe

as it say the CEO was the second guy after James Cameron to make a solo dive to titanic

Cameron was in challanger deep different sub and not made out of camping equipment and knock off games controllers
That’s interesting. I’ve just looked up the sub Cameron went down in, and as far as one can gather from the Wiki article, the design and tech gap between it and this Titan craft feels akin to an SpaceX rocket vs a homemade metal tube full of gunpowder built by a bloke trying to prove the Earth is flat

This is just awful. I understand one of the guys has his teenage son with him.

I cannot think of many worse ways to die than suffocating in a little tube. Anyone gloating needs a word with themselves.
Yeah, I agree, really grim way to go. Pity he didn't decide to spend the £500,000 this trip cost him on food banks or providing clean water in developing countries.

You have to have a certain mindset to be a sub Mariner. There was a good programme on radio four a few years ago about life aboard one of the UK nuclear submarines. The preparation, food and all that sort of thing. I mean spending months in a metal can under the sea. Fuck that. I remember as a kid visiting the science museum and I was too chicken to go in the Apollo capsule. It just looked too small. I’d rather jump out of a plane without a parachute. Well okay with a parachute but if I had to go. And do something risky.

Yeah, I agree, really grim way to go. Pity he didn't decide to spend the £500,000 this trip cost him on food banks or providing clean water in developing countries.

Not just "developing countries":

In the sadly rather unlikely case they locate the sub in the next few hours, would the rescue teams actually have a chance in hell of winching the sub up in time? I saw in the news they were going to fly in a wrenching craft. But how the fuck would they attach cables to it fast enough?

Looking at images of the sub, there’s no obvious or easy single exterior towing point to use. And since no diver could survive a sortie at that depth, it’d have to be done remotely using robotic arms. Does any rescue craft being brought in have that capability?

The sub’s designers could at least added a large metal ring to the roof, like those rubber ducks you’re meant to fish out of the water with a plastic fishing rod

depositphotos_107444736-stock-photo-plastic-ducks-at-a-fair.jpg

Thing is you don’t become a billionaire by having alturustic intentions. I mean if youor I had a spare billion quid knocking around, you’d think of the problems you could try and solve. but look at the boring pricks who just get rich off Real Estate, play golf. These are not creative problem-solving people necessarily. Never mind anything else. solving world hunger, giving people freshwater isn’t that sexy though is it. Giant robots with killer laser eyes, rockets and stuff. Yeah. have you given your Spotify money all to shelter. Are you buying PlayStation games when you could give that money away. Sounds petty I know but there is a bit of that on the grander scale. billionaires are an anathema though. No argument there.

Having seen some pictures of the thing - and based entirely on my experience of watching Reccy Mechs drag tanks and shit out of rivers, ditches and swamps - I simply don't see what you could attach anything to, and that if you wrapped a harness of some description round it, you'd inevitably break stuff on the outside of the pressure hull as soon as it came under strain.

It's just a death trap.

My son was asking some things about why this material and not that one in construction, and I was sorely tempted to order that and Structures to see if he'd enjoy it as much as I had.

@bellaozzydog I think at 3000m opening from inside could become a bit messy
The point being made mush was even if they got to the surface they couldn't get out. Plane doors can open at 3000m. Most people wouldn't think of opening them until the slip and slide life rafts were deployed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom