Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Wait a minute. I can understand the hatred and contempt for Bezos.

But James Cameron? What has he done to deserve death?
Made that fucking film about visiting the Titanic wreck, which is one of the most tedious and self-indulgent bits of cinema I’ve ever watched. If you ever have the misfortune just turn the sound off as it’s pretty enough to watch, just Cameron’s endless waffling about how amazing it is gets a bit wearing after about thirty seconds.

(OK, death is harsh, but it’s a lot of suffering he’s dished out)

Made that fucking film about visiting the Titanic wreck, which is one of the most tedious and self-indulgent bits of cinema I’ve ever watched. If you ever have the misfortune just turn the sound off as it’s pretty enough to watch, just Cameron’s endless waffling about how amazing it is gets a bit wearing after about thirty seconds.

(OK, death is harsh, but it’s a lot of suffering he’s dished out)

True Lies was fucking excellent though. That gets him a pass surely?

You should probably avoid Avatar 2: Avatar With a Sinking Ship

Still one of the better whale based films of that year.

Anyway, they've picked up intermittent banging noises, though not been able to find anything... So I am moving from trolling to pensive for now.

Still one of the better whale based films of that year.

Anyway, they've picked up intermittent banging noises, though not been able to find anything... So I am moving from trolling to pensive for now.

Rolling Stone has the story: Searchers for Titanic Tourist Sub Heard 'Banging' From Area, Internal Comms Reveal

If this is true, and the regular banging/tapping sounds every 30 mins are coming from the lost sub, then that means there hasn't been a catastrophic failure and that they're somehow stuck down there.

A truly unenviable position to be in.

The only rescue that's possible with this abomination is to drag it up to the surface, and then get the people out.

Find it, then get the 2/3/4 really deep water USV's needed to drag it up to the surface down there, then drag it up, in 24 hours? No chance.

I'm in two minds which is best - to continue the search/recovery operation because it's undoubtedly an extremely valuable training/learning opportunity, or to bin it off and have the whole sorry escapade left as a towering monument to the folly of hubris.

I imagine they'll all have phones/cameras on them so if they do manage to recover the vessel intact in the future I guess we'll get to see the footage of their last few days.

Whether they're rescued or not, they've already experienced unspeakable terror and suffering.

But they're rich cunts, so fuck 'em, eh? :rolleyes:

I think we should have a new thread where we explore the matrix of the worth of a life through the tone of the person's skin Vs the lightness of their purse, Vs the social good of their activities.

I'm sure that would bring out the best of Urban.

I think we should have a new thread where we explore the matrix of the worth of a life through the tone of the person's skin Vs the lightness of their purse, Vs the social good of their activities.

We could compare it to the 650 or so mostly Pakistanis in the Med, I'm sure the rescue effort there was ~100x more than for these guys, yeah?

The only rescue that's possible with this abomination is to drag it up to the surface, and then get the people out.

Find it, then get the 2/3/4 really deep water USV's needed to drag it up to the surface down there, then drag it up, in 24 hours? No chance.

I'm in two minds which is best - to continue the search/recovery operation because it's undoubtedly an extremely valuable training/learning opportunity, or to bin it off and have the whole sorry escapade left as a towering monument to the folly of hubris.

My understanding is that it's a generally-agreed, even if not necessarily legally encoded or strictly-abided, tenet of maritime ethics to attempt to render aid to those souls known to be in distress. I also doubt that this will be the last time that such a deep-ranging submersible will come to trouble in similar circumstances. Human ventures into the oceanic abyss aren't as frequent or prominent in the popular imagination as those heading into space, but people still keep trying. Given those considerations, I would say that on balance it's best to make a go at a rescue, even if it turns out to be in vain.

This is childish, binary, bollocks, and you know it.

Yeah I know, the pricks in the sub have no hope of being saved, so the correct effort the various countries are expending should be zero and you, of course can't multiply that by anything other than the effort expended to save the poor sods in the Med.

Thought we already had a prototype for that on the Ukraine and Russian invasion thread?

So to add to the nightmare thoughts.in what should just be a philosophical thought experiment but isn’t.

Given they may be alive, and the experience of at least two (Rush and Nargeolent) means there woukd be an excellent understanding of the search and rescue operation and the issues faced, would you, in Shahzada Dawood’s place suggest/request one of the others kill you to decrease oxygen consumption/ increase the window for rescue by 20% or about 8 hours, to increase the odds of your son surviving?

What about the others, as captain does Rush have a responsibility to the others to do this and give them extra time?

Back
Top Bottom