Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Another layer of “what were they thinking?” I’ve just read rescue experts saying it’s painted white, so even if it has risen to the surface it won’t be visible.

Jesusfuckingchrist.
If they've a surveillance plane that can hear banging from the depths they've cameras that can see camouflaged submersibles

Regardless of whether or not these guys get rescued this is probably the last tourist excursion down to the Titanic. I can't see any more trips without a massive improvement in sub technology especially safety features.
That's going to be a while and apparently the Titanic is rotting away like there is no tomorrow.
Oh, I dunno, the vultures who run these 'adventures' will probably just put the price up.

Another layer of “what were they thinking?” I’ve just read rescue experts saying it’s painted white, so even if it has risen to the surface it won’t be visible.

Jesusfuckingchrist.
I did actually wonder about that when I saw it yesterday. Is there any logistical reason it can’t be done in luminous yellow or fire engine red? Surely these would’ve been more sensible choices. I get the aesthetic angle, but not to the extent of losing your life due to vanity.

Regardless of whether or not these guys get rescued this is probably the last tourist excursion down to the Titanic. I can't see any more trips without a massive improvement in sub technology especially safety features.
That's going to be a while and apparently the Titanic is rotting away like there is no tomorrow.

I think there'd still be a market for it, and other submersibles are available, it's just that having good safety features and using established tech means it costs more. E.g Rush, in that CBS video I think, says something along the lines of 'yeah $250k sounds a lot, but we've used $1m of fuel'. So doing it safely, in a 2 person submersible, probably slaps a $5m+ price tag on it. James Cameron has, after all, made it to Challenger deep, and another random billionaire has gone to the deepest points of 5 oceans.

I did actually wonder about that when I saw it yesterday. Is there any logistical reason it can’t be done in luminous yellow or fire engine red? Surely these would’ve been more sensible choices. I get the aesthetic angle, but not to the extent of losing your life due to vanity.
Orange is the traditional colour. It’s internationally recognised. But, yeah, if you want to break from tradition, don’t go with white.

This is probably a stupid question but how can they hear deep undersea banging from a plane? Last time I checked planes are noisy fuckers. I can't even listen to a podcast on a flight without noise cancelling earphones.
No idea, but the reports do say it’s Canadian P-3 aircraft that detected the underwater noises in the search area.

Jesusfuckingchrist.

Sorry this is a stupid question but does white make it invisible?

This is probably a stupid question but how can they hear deep undersea banging from a plane? Last time I checked planes are noisy fuckers. I can't even listen to a podcast on a flight without noise cancelling earphones.
I think they drop a buoy in the water that has hydrophones in it and the buoy relays that to the plane. It's how you try and catch submarines.

Yellow is most common for non-military subs, as it is the most visible at depth. The twat who ran this company didn't use it because he hates the song. Hopefully he is saved so he can spend the rest of his life in jail.

Orange is the traditional colour. It’s internationally recognised. But, yeah, if you want to break from tradition, don’t go with white.
I think a neon hot pink would’ve been attractively eye catching and terribly a la mode.

It was yesterday when they were talking about the extent of searching the debris field, and I thought ‘well it being greyish white isn’t going to help’. But yes, the fact that even if it had surfaced in the way it was hoped (I hesitate to use the word ‘designed’ for this death trap), the fact that waves and water spray is greyish white makes the choice look even more foolish.

I remember when the Estonia sank (one of my ‘stick with me forever’ horror news events that ticks all my personal right/wrong fear boxes), the rafts were all bright red. The sight of them on the Baltic that morning below the helicopters was what we all woke up to. Had they been white, they’d have blended in with the waves and those people would likely all be dead.

Probably, but then again at those prices you probably only need one paying passenger to make a trip viable.

Btw, should anyone want a read, this is the best article I’ve ever read about the Estonia.

You can do the archive thing with the link, I can’t be arsed.

And you’ll never get on a ferry again.

I can count on one hand the number I’ve been on, and never go below deck. It’s the reason I once spent the whole night wide awake and with a clear sight line to the exit on a ferry between Aberdeen and Lerwick, despite having had a cabin booked by my employer, and knowing I had a full day of work ahead of me starting as soon as I arrived. And on the way back, I paid out of my own pocket to fly instead. Shetland is not a couple of hours hop by sea, so I couldn’t face the return to the mainland by ferry, only to have another journey to London by road straight afterwards.

I just read a bit more about it. That plane dropped sonobouys. These have a hydrophone which drops to around 450 m. on the surface this is attached to a transmitter which the plane picks up. some of them can send active signals, pings to locate objects. you need 3 to try and triangulate the position. compared to looking for a coin on a football pitch.

Looking at the death toll on Everest of late provokes similar feelings. Fucking helll. Extreme adventure tourism incidents are part of the bragging rights I suppose

Eta I went to Chernobyl for my sins. A young gamer woman on the trip was only there to get pics of her at the amusement park from call of duty. She was licking the ferris wheel for insta bonus points . Yes , licking the fucking thing whilst taking tons of selfies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom