Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

How much pressure is 2km of water for a start? The arrogance of man to think he can beat the rules of physics or whatever knows no boundaries. A bit like when one of the space shuttles blew up. It was going to happen eventually.

One brick can kill you but a million bricks? Well at least your tombstone will say "He went out in style, spectacularly"

I'm just riffing btw Im not laughing at the (not so) poor fuckers.

Challenger deep, to which James Cameron has been (and a couple of others afaik), is at 11km.

Some of the ballast are these abandoned lead pipes from construction sites and the way you ditch them is everybody gets to one side of the sub, and they roll off a shelf.
Everything up until then was... Ok, it's fast and dirty but not actually dangerous. Until that bit.

Was there a legendary thread (or any kind of thread) about those trapped Chilean miners all those years ago? I don't remember it...

most of his rockets end up in lots of pieces on the bottom of the ocean... not sure if that makes him the best or worst person for this job.

I'm used to working with things like this...a work class Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV).

View attachment 380053

They work down to about 3000 m and operate on a tether, a wire to lower them up and down on, and the tether includes an umbilical that is used to communicate with it and send commands. They are pretty high tech...a friend that works with the biggest manufacturer also led their bid for the next NASA space suite a few years ago. Typically they will have an acoustic beacon, so you can monitor their position from the surface, and a sonar so they can find things. The sonar images are pretty basic, shall we say. They certainly are not getting a picture that's easy to interpret, so you steer them using camera images.

Tether and umbilical management is a skilled business. When the ROV is working you need it to swim about unimpeded, but the cable floating around can get into a tangle, and caught up on stuff.

The manipulator arms are pretty powerful, and you can fit various skids with things like hydraulic power packs. They are not very powerful when it comes to pushing and pulling stuff, and it would be a struggle to see how they could deliver buoyancy to a dead submersible...in the oil business that is typically done by crane, lowering buoys on counterweights, then releasing the weights. The ROV hooks the buoyancy onto what you want to lift.

The sub that's lost I don't really understand, and I'm on a ship at the moment and they block YouTube.

I assume it has a very light umbilical to communicate between the surface and their playstation controller. I assume there is no tether, so they can't hoist it back to the surface. I assume they have some variable ballast tanks, and compressed air to maintain their altitude, and some small propellers to manoeuvre with. I assume there are solid ballast drop weights that are simple to dump to get positive buoyancy to come to the surface.

What seems strange to me, reading the press reports, is people taking about radio...radio waves really do not work well under water, and the fact that previous tourists talk about losing communications a lot. Losing comms with an ROV is rare, and you would immediately think about sending another one to find out what's going on. Maybe they became blasé about short interruptions to comms and either end assumed all was well when it wasn't.

The mother ship is ancient. It was built in 1959 as a lighthouse tender. It is not dynamically positioned. It really doesn't not look equipped to deal with much in the way of emergency recovery. From the photos, I can't see that it is equipped with a large ROV, and if it can't do stationkeeping, it is not a very useful resource.

I assume oil industry support vessels with ROVs will be going in that direction from the Canadian oilfield...but at 3,800m water depth the ROVs may not be able to operate in the water depth.

I imagine the friendly navies with nuclear submarines will be sending boats in that direction too...they may be able to detect sounds inside the submersible, and that may be able to use active sonar...but finding a tiny bit of tube in the middle of the Titanic debris field with systems designed to detect other submarines may be tricky. I suspect the navies may not wish to confirm or deny submarines in the area.

Despite your obvious knowledge, I've read all of that with ROVs being ROUS (Rodents Of Unusual Size) from The Princess Bride. Apologies.

Was there a legendary thread (or any kind of thread) about those trapped Chilean miners all those years ago? I don't remember it...

This thread has reached peak Urban levels of bickering over daftness in less than 10 pages. Well done ever
most of his rockets end up in lots of pieces on the bottom of the ocean... not sure if that makes him the best or worst person for this job.
Wikipedia: "As of 18 June 2023, the Falcon 9 Full Thrust version has flown 213 missions with a success rate of 100%. The first stage was recovered in 190 of them."

But, whatever you say.

Have any conspiracy theories reared their ugly heads yet? Abducted by underseas aliens? Kidnapped and tied up by a dolphin sex cult? You know that kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom