Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread about spiders (not for the arachnophobic!)

I'd love these windows.

21b50feebe6f0e39436f15ccb6fca88f.jpg

And some spider wallpapers available here.

Adult jumping spider (Pelegrina pervaga)

Jumping-Spider-most-beuatiful-spider-in-the-world-5.jpg

I like the description -

Just before it jumps, it tethers a filament of silk to whatever it is standing on. Should it fall for one reason or another, it climbs back up the silk tether with its hairy spider legs made to be be adherent to surfaces.
They have really good vision and they use hydraulic pressure in their legs to jump :cool:

There's lots of jumping spiders in the UK. Zebra spiders are one of the most common. I found this one in my garden carrying a huge fly off to eat somewhere
DSC-0632.jpg

Eek. Think my house spiders are ~3 inches long, though I think I've seen the occasional 5 incher in the past. Am I right in thinking the 5 inch ones are a slightly different species? Not sure if my spider hoover would grab a 5 incher.

I have no idea what my one was. I've never seen one like it here. It was a very fast mover too. I tried to catch it in a box but it ran towards me and I screamed like a tit.

It was not afraid of me at all.
I managed to gently sweep it into a pan and ran to the garden to toss it into a bush.
😳

Eta. It's still out there. 😳

I may have another segestria florentina in my house.
I will need to see the colour of her fangs to be sure. The camera flash probably just caught her eyes ..
Suspiciously though I can't see any trip wires ...

segflor.jpg

Last edited:
Unavailable to people from the European Economic Area

The National Park Service officially reminded the public that it is once again tarantula season. Every autumn, mature male tarantulas start on their quest to find a mate, exposing them to many dangers such as hawks and skunks, cars on the road, and people.

The service reminds people to be kind if they see tarantulas out and about. They advise the public to help them across the road with a piece of cardboard or magazine.

The tarantula has been around for more than 16 million years and there have been more than 900 species found across the world. They are venomous, but officials say the ones found in New Mexico pack as much punch as a wasp sting. Generally, they are easy-going creatures.

(the whole article!)

Back
Top Bottom