Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread about spiders (not for the arachnophobic!)

It is - thousands and thousands of them. :)

Ok, that's good :)

nasaspider.bmp

tintin-spider.jpg

Yeah, thats my pet. (Flossy)
Apparently they live a long time Seg.Flo. so quite hopefully. I read someware about spiders living for 50 years.

Reactions: Cid
Orb weaver attack-wrapping... :cool:

salticus scenicus - nice to put a name to my favourite spider.

Last edited:
Living World tomorrow morning on Radio 4 - 06.35.
And as a podcast later.

Drystone Walls
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007qyz3
Spiders love the nooks and crannies in drystone walls. The Peak District has 100s of miles of them and many different species of spider, from web builders to fast hunters, live there. Wolf spiders race after their prey on long, powerful legs. Jumping spiders leap from a hiding place. The tiny money spiders build webs like hammocks for prey to fall into and lace weaving spiders construct mats of web with recoiling strands that drag the prey to the spider. The limestone walls of the White Peak are not only a beautiful feature of this part of the National Park, they were built with great skill and patience by generations of skilled workmen. Mary Colwell meets Sarah Henshall, lead ecologist with Buglife and Simon Nicholas, the local Ranger for the National Trust, to discover the 350 million year old limestone that forms the walls and search for the mini beasts that live in their depths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04p5f39

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/deadly-spider-can-kill-one-4715326#rlabs=8

Deadly spider that can kill with one bite found in a back garden in KENT

A deadly Australian redback spider - that can kill a human with one bite - has been found in a back garden in KENT.

The venomous creature is one of the few spiders that can be seriously harmful to humans and displays sexual cannibalism while mating.

One reportedly killed dad-of-five John Francis Kennedy in September this year in Ireland after a bite led to his stomach and testicles swelling.

The redback spider, which is related to the even-more-deadly black widow, were responsible for at least 14 deaths in Australia before the introduction of antivenom.

A-redback-spider.jpg

One of the venomous Australian redback spider's reportedly killed dad-of-five John Francis Kennedy in September this year in Ireland

But it didn't ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-died-from-ruptured-oesophagus-not-spider-bite-299056.html[/SIZE]

It is true that you can encounter some non-native species of spiders in certain situations. My dad was an aircraft fitter for years, and once was refitting an aircraft and he and his colleagues found a nest of redbacks in the joint where the wing joins onto the plane. They all backed off and called in pest control to deal with it.

I've also told you all the story (many times) about the brown recluse who came home with me from North Carolina.

I spotted this long-legged beastie in my bathroom last night. Like a freaky spidey-stalker, I immediately got my camera out to take lots of pictures of the poor little thing. Think I've frightened it off with the repeated flash of the camera, as I've not seen it today. :(

DSC05111_zpslgcandpd.jpg

DSC05112_zpspxdz3ljc.jpg

DSC05126_zpsyvmqegjg.jpg

I must have half a dozen species and two I say hello to every day - the segestria in my bathroom and the false widow in the kitchen.
The cellar spiders occasionally belay down onto my keyboard.

i thought I had another floater (an eye floater ffs) yesterday... Took off my glasses and there was a tiny spider dangling in front of the lens. Not seen a spider for ages, but it's spring and our eight-legged friends are returning. Spiders... :cool:

A couple of days ago a baby spider parachuted onto my face in the bathroom and when I looked up there were hundreds of babies on the ceiling.
Today there seemed to be a lot fewer of them and several adult spiders. :hmm:

fatspiders2.jpg

I hadn't seen Minnie, my bathroom segestria florentina for some time and earlier today I noticed an old web below this with some spider parts in it and wondered if she'd succumbed to the daddy long leg spiders :(

But she's moved into more spacious ready-made accomodation -and the spider parts were probably the remains of her meal she'd pushed outside ....either that or this isn't Minnie :hmm:

minniesnewhome.jpg

Last edited:
I had a teg in last week, really early appearance indoors, I don't expect them until autumn!

Back
Top Bottom