Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This is the end, my urban friends, the end.

that sounds like something a climate change denier might say.

Sorry but the scale of what's happening now can only possibly be compared to events that occurred before humans even existed.

yes there have been civilizations wiped out by things such as climate change, but whether we knew it or not, it as never threatened the whole of human civilization before. Add to that global trade, global banking, the most powerful nuclear weapons we've ever had, more pressure on natural resources than we've even known before. It's really not comparable to anything we've see in history.
yes it can. your post is like something a fool would write. there've been clear climate changes in the past and you don't need something to be on a global scale to gain some knowledge and insight into how climate change might affect us. i don't think you've really grasped what comparisons are

yes it can. your post is like something a fool would write. there've been clear climate changes in the past and you don't need something to be on a global scale to gain some knowledge and insight into how climate change might affect us. i don't think you've really grasped what comparisons are
yours look more foolish from here pedant boy.

So climate change is nothing to worry about we can all just shift our civilization to some other place i guess... oh wait.

yours look more foolish from here pedant boy.

So climate change is nothing to worry about we can all just shift our civilization to some other place i guess... oh wait.
I haven't said climate change is nothing to worry about, as you'll notice if you read what I've written on this thread. As ever, I'd remind you it's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than pipe up as you do here and prove yourself one

Weirdly pedant boy gave this the thumbs up but took issue with me for saying the same thing. I just think he likes disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. I've put him on igore. He's a fool.
You said as ska didn't that nothing like this has ever happened on a global scale, and made out I'm a climate denier. It has, and fortunately it was only temporary.

E2A I won't put you on ignore as you're worth reading on some topics

In terms of unprecedented fuck-ups, the mass extinction that human activity is creating is unique in Earth's history. Never before has one species' activity created mass extinctions across the globe like this. We don't even know exactly how many species we're causing to go extinct, but the extinction rate is probably hundreds of times greater than a 'normal' background rate. Even more than climate change, I think that's the measure that highlights human impact. We're in danger of going down in geological history as the cause of only the sixth mass extinction event since the Cambrian explosion.

Even "good" politicians are sadly often idiots when it comes to science ...

1679399436771.jpeg

Ségolène Royal - environment minister in a recent French government standing on a ridiculous multi-million Euro "solar road" - the same government that was in favour of phasing-out nuclear power.

Last edited:
And that is why big problems are hard to solve... Or even small ones. Doesn't take much for people to turn against each other over misinterpretations. Without trust it's hard to achieve anything worthwhile.
if someone's going to come out and say me i'm a climate denier after my post #3 as they suggest in their #30 and effectively do in eg their post #33 then it's rather more than misinterpretation. it's one thing to have a disagreement but we're never going to get anywhere when there are assumptions like all likes indicate complete agreement with a position or that nothing that gives us an inkling of how things might go has ever happened before. not to mention when so many people are prepared to use ignore instead of argue their case.

This feels a little bit "we've done this before." I survived the protests of the 1960s, the 1968 flu pandemic, followed by high inflation, no economic growth, rising gasoline prices, and international tensions. I'm not discounting the possibility that things will get worse from here though.

My 'Labour' council has just upped the rents of council tenants by between £60 to £75 every week. Many of those tenants are already using foodbanks and because the increase is in the service charge, it won;t be covered by benefits.

The council are also spunking millions in their disastrous attempts to be as property developer and have spent the best part of a decade trying to evict people from their homes in various estates in the borough.

If this is supposedly 'the left' in action, we're absolutely fucked.

In terms of unprecedented fuck-ups, the mass extinction that human activity is creating is unique in Earth's history. Never before has one species' activity created mass extinctions across the globe like this. We don't even know exactly how many species we're causing to go extinct, but the extinction rate is probably hundreds of times greater than a 'normal' background rate. Even more than climate change, I think that's the measure that highlights human impact. We're in danger of going down in geological history as the cause of only the sixth mass extinction event since the Cambrian explosion.
Yes, its not just about climate change...destruction of habitats, poisoning of rivers and seas all are accelerating and the world's governments have no intention of stopping......its all about growth, Economic growth and beating the other fuckers who believe in a slightly different fairy tale

You have the right to write to your landlord to request a written summary of the costs which make up the service charges. The summary must

• cover the last 12 month period used for making up the accounts relating to the service charge ending no later than the date of your request, where the accounts are made up for 12 month periods
  • cover the 12 month period ending with the date of your request, where the accounts are not made up for 12 month periods

Just to add to the general despondency about the future, one of my biggest worries is soil erosion, which hardly anyone with the exception of Monbiot seems to discuss. We are losing topsoil which can take millenia to replace - for various reasons including climate change, industrialised agricultural practices and the sheer pressure of trying to feed 6 billion + humans. Within 60-100 years it's estimated that some harvests will start failing and when that happens we're in deep, deep trouble. That's likely within my nephew's lifetime. I know it's an irrational fear i have tbh; some folks like to believe we in the west are civilised (lol) - lets see how true that is when supermarket shelves start to empty! Somewhat conspiratorially i admit, i can't help but suspect the ultra-wealthy are preparing for this as we speak and they would happily leave the rest of us to it.

hmm did you older Urbz not live thru the threat of nuclear war for about 40 years

massive inflation 70's/80's and a fuel crisis in the 70s and then maggie

meh things just look worse now

its always been a bit of shite show

so happy days

And many of our grandparents lived through a pandemic, the Great Depression and 2 world wars, one of which ended with the development and detonation of nuclear weapons. Climate change is different though and likely to be catastrophic, but one often overlooked climate feedback loop is that when nearly everyone is dead CO2 emissions will finally start to come down. The Black Death killed an estimated third of the global population and carried on killing for several centuries after that so it's likely humans will limp miserably onward in some form even if some of the worst predictions come true.

I think once you reach middle age it's important to try and separate anxiety about the end of the world, which is probably quite unlikely, and the end of you, which is inevitable and getting closer every day.

I think you have to hold on to the fact that change and hope is possible. To give just one example, the dominance of the motor car is a very recent thing, within the life span of my father, so it's absolutely plausible that we will see the end of it within my lifetime. While I feel massive anxiety about climate change it's important that despair doesn't overwhelm us. Huge change is much more possible and normal than we think.

In better news, I've found a score for decent hash. Just as the world ends, ffs.

that sounds like something a climate change denier might say.

Sorry but the scale of what's happening now can only possibly be compared to events that occurred before humans even existed.

yes there have been civilizations wiped out by things such as climate change, but whether we knew it or not, it has never threatened the whole of human civilization before. Add to that global trade, global banking, the most powerful nuclear weapons we've ever had, more pressure on natural resources than we've ever known before. It's really not comparable to anything we've seen in history.

Is this the new climate change gauge, the Denier?

Agree. The massive loss of biodiversity tends to worry me more than climate change. :(

Might just be down to my biologist background tbf.

I think you have to hold on to the fact that change and hope is possible. To give just one example, the dominance of the motor car is a very recent thing, within the life span of my father, so it's absolutely plausible that we will see the end of it within my lifetime. While I feel massive anxiety about climate change it's important that despair doesn't overwhelm us. Huge change is much more possible and normal than we think.
Change and hope. That's a great ideal to hope for.

But we're up to our neck in shit from those who oppose change and lol at hope.

Just look at the climate change deniers outside of urban... they are legion. How to combat their mindset and the politicians who run on that?

Back
Top Bottom