Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The word Liberal as an insult.

Thank you.
Edit: Why does amazon now think I'm a likely buyer for 'Crippled America' by Donald Trump? :(

I think (not entirely sure) that it's cos of that liberal delusion book - it suggested that fucking awful 'liberal fascism' by Jonah Goldberg after I looked at it lol

Well, in a way that'd be the word to go for I suppose, except it already has a specific meaning connected to people like Levi Strauss and Lacan. (In linguistics it's a somewhat out of favour school of thought).

I suppose the opposite of liberal to some extent is "intellectual rigour". But that's not the whole story. I will sometimes flippantly say to people I think are being liberal "get some politics, ffs!" It's a bit rude of me if I'm honest. What I mean is: "look at the structures here", and usually "look at how class affects things here".

So when I'm being as rude as that, I'm generally wishing the person would be more class aware and more, broadly speaking, collectivist.

Saw this: ‘Trumping’ Let Girls Learn and thought of your post.

Not to say that access to education for girls isn't a ball to be kept an eye on in parts of the world where they'd sooner be married off and sent on five hour hikes to fetch water etc, but the idea that all girls and in fact boys in parts of the world where people have to walk five hours to fetch water is access to education does feed into the idea of liberalism I think you've laid out- "World order's fine, you just need to work on your grades more".

Speaking for myself- I've started to think not what does liberalism mean in the way you've described, but rather whose Liberty is meant in the word Liberalism. Liberty for capital it seems to me, no more- no less.

Liberal to me means openness, tolerance, democratic government, minimal state.

To me it means exclusion, inequality, theft, poverty, war, mass murder. It later claimed ownership of what is nice and cuddly after being pressured earlier to accept change by social forces outside of a society's respective elite, who dispossessed, enslaved, imprisoned, and executed the masses beneath them.

To me it means exclusion, inequality, theft, poverty, war, mass murder. It later claimed ownership of what is nice and cuddly after being pressured earlier to accept change by social forces outside of a society's respective elite, who dispossessed, enslaved, imprisoned, and executed the masses beneath them.
Yeah, I was being a little tongue in cheek to be honest. I genuinely don't know enough history/politics. All major systems so far trialled by humans seem to end in the concentration of wealth and power with a few, to the detriment, poverty and mass murder of many. Fwiw parliamentary democracy with a centre/left leaning appears to have the best record so far. But what do I know. Best to just live your tiny life on the whole.

i think anyone desribing themselves as a liberal is a wanker tbh.

"I'm liberal" sounds alright... generous, open-minded, fun-loving.

"I'm a liberal"... very different vibe with that "a".

"I'm a libertarian"... uh oh

"Liberty"... guns, canned-food, bunkers and a flag.

Back
Top Bottom