Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

yeah im with dotty.

The laissez faire stuff was never going to work with marlo, same way it never worked with Avon.

Man wanted to be king and that meant a direct line to the greek(who wasn't greek) and prop to get brap braped.

daved

Yup, what the 'businessmen' like String and Prop Joe didnt get was that it was about more than the money for characters like Avon and Marlo.

I'm just a gangster and I want my motherfucking corners

Spiros was holding his ground but The Greek stepped in and waved in the new era. Marlo would've had to learn to co-op if he came up against a wall trying to get the connect. Which is what Joe was trying to teach him.

What I don't get is how The Greek thought Marlo could do a better job of holding things together than Joe, who was professional and discreet. Soon as Marlo took over, his whole crew went down in a blaze and The Greek was dealing with yet another new face from the streets.

The Greek saw that Marlo would go up against Joe no matter what, so best to be in with the new 'King' from the off.

It's a mistake to see the Greek and his lot as anything other than the disinterested businessmen they are. The internal politics of Baltimore street gangs are only important to them in who they will have to deal with.

The Greek saw that Marlo would go up against Joe no matter what, so best to be in with the new 'King' from the off.

Yeah... I remember his telling Spiros as much, but I didn't fully understand his reasoning then and I'm still not through questioning his judgement. Surely young pretenders like Marlo have been capped off before once it appeared they were gonna muscle in? But as it turned out, Joe's family loyalty stopped him getting to Marlo before Marlo got to him.

Spiros was holding his ground but The Greek stepped in and waved in the new era. Marlo would've had to learn to co-op if he came up against a wall trying to get the connect. Which is what Joe was trying to teach him.

What I don't get is how The Greek thought Marlo could do a better job of holding things together than Joe, who was professional and discreet. Soon as Marlo took over, his whole crew went down in a blaze and The Greek was dealing with yet another new face from the streets.

Funny that Marlo went down because of the connect with the Greek though. Who taught Marlo the clock code that burried him?

Marlo was stupid and used it for every meet. Instead of only using it once in a blue moon for the re-connect. Which wouldn't have given the cops enough data to crack.

Funny that Marlo went down because of the connect with the Greek though. Who taught Marlo the clock code that burried him?

Marlo was stupid and used it for every meet. Instead of only using it once in a blue moon for the re-connect. Which wouldn't have given the cops enough data to crack.

yeah but he had no real reason to suspect that Freamon was doing some thorough coppering on the sly. Nobody did, till the ball was rolling to fast to stop it.

I thought one of the more interesting endings was that of Pearlman. She pleaded with Daniels to not take what he knew to the Governer (telling Daniels it would be the end of her career) and then - IIRC - accepted Levy's terms that included letting Marlo free for the same reasons (her, albeit unintnetional, role in the wire tap). She should have driven a harder bargain but was herself exposed.

Daniels could have been where Rawls is at the end.

I suppose that is true. There is one former Superintendent who was a regular on the show, bit of an in-joke I think.

Actually a number of Baltimore cops play cops in the wire. Jay Landsman (aka the last real police in Baltimore) plays Lt Mello in the Western, Landsman the corpulent Homicide Sgt. is based unsurprisingly, on the Landsman. Gary D'Addario another homicide detective, played Gary DiPasquale, the gambling addict DA who's leaking grand jury information to Levi.

there's a former mayor in it once - he plays the receptionist at the senator's office in annapolis in the scene where carcetti and norman go to beg cash for the schools in s4. iirc that is. i may have just dreamt that factlet.

AND deandre mccollouch's little bro, derodd, from the corner (irl) was puddin, one of bodie's corner boys. simon likes to help people out in return for being his raw material i guess

Prop Joe shoulda known Marlo was a wrong un,shoulda conspired with the rest of the co-op to remove him from the scene,it was ob Marlo did'nt give a toss about the co-op,means to an end,anyway theres a wire sized hole in me telly viewing :(

there's a former mayor in it once - he plays the receptionist at the senator's office in annapolis in the scene where carcetti and norman go to beg cash for the schools in s4. iirc that is. i may have just dreamt that factlet.

wasnt the real former mayor one of the academics esposuing the virtues of Hamsterdam to Royce in Series 3? If memory serves, this mayor actually had to quit in real life for suggesting something similar to Hamsterdam IRL, back in the 1980s? I'm sure I've seen that on one of the (woefully lacking...) extras on the DVDs. They should do a load of extras and stuff...#

E2A, re the Mayor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Schmoke is the guy.

In the second from last episode of series 3... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ground_(The_Wire_episode)#Politics

Also, seemed like the right time to mention these clips, released just before series 5 came out online by HBO...

(prop joe as a youngster...)

(young omar...)

(Bunk meets McNutty...)

If memory serves me right, i think the great author Richard Price is in it somewhere, but i might be mistaken.

Who was the fella doing the book club D'Angelo is in whilst in prison?

wasnt the real former mayor one of the academics esposuing the virtues of Hamsterdam to Royce in Series 3? If memory serves, this mayor actually had to quit in real life for suggesting something similar to Hamsterdam IRL, back in the 1980s? I'm sure I've seen that on one of the (woefully lacking...) extras on the DVDs. They should do a load of extras and stuff...#

E2A, re the Mayor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Schmoke is the guy.

In the second from last episode of series 3... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ground_(The_Wire_episode)#Politics
ah, i got slightly muddled. it was this fella that i was thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ehrlich
it was in S4 EP12:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_Got_His_Own#Politics

Now it's all done, your favourite spoiler moments please

Ok this thread is dated & dead now but just to tail off, what with all the spoliers we've all had so much fun fussing about (and let's be honest, it'd be nice to make it 100 pages), let's hear your favourite spoiler story. To kick off -

Buying the DVD box set of season 4 before getting to the end of season 3, reading the first line; "After the collapse of the Barksdale organisation...".... Nice one. :rolleyes:

Going to the online cast list to clue up whilst watching season 1, and finding no Wallace... the writing was on the wall. Then I see Prez in the 'school' section, and 'Mayor Carcetti' - oh, so he is gonna become mayor then? Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Anyways I'm sure you've got better ones than those.

:)

Buying the DVD box set of season 4 before getting to the end of season 3, reading the first line; "After the collapse of the Barksdale organisation...".... Nice one. :rolleyes:
ha, I did exactly the same thing!

My annoyance was only slightly leavened by the fact that someone I'd leant S3 to before watching it myself, asked me when collecting it 'shit man, could you believe it when they shot Stringer?'

Going to the online cast list to clue up whilst watching season 1, and finding no Wallace... the writing was on the wall. Then I see Prez in the 'school' section, and 'Mayor Carcetti' - oh, so he is gonna become mayor then? Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

well, them's your own fault.

tbf, you have to be some sort of moran not to know that Omar was finished after he jumped the window. The manner of his death was unexpected though. Even though I knew how anti-heroic the writing was I kept hoping Omar would take Marlo down in a blaze of glory

Ok this thread is dated & dead now but just to tail off, what with all the spoliers we've all had so much fun fussing about (and let's be honest, it'd be nice to make it 100 pages), let's hear your favourite spoiler story. To kick off -

Anyways I'm sure you've got better ones than those.

:)

I shouldn't have done it but I read an interview with the guy who plays Omar and read that he 'dies in a fantastic shoot-out'. Which was annoying.

Luckily they were wrong so at least the way Omar died did come as a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom