Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

£89! :D
I suppose you could try caling the store?

Yeah, I just did. £100 in store, but I get 20% discount because I'm special, so only (only, lol) £80.

See, I like to buy the box set of things I love. I did for Homicide. I dl'd most of them 1st time around but I always planned to buy the box set.

Yeh, took me a good 3 to 4 episodes of S1 to really start getting into it. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more second time around, as various things kinda dropped into place. Plus I'd got more used to the dialect by then :D

Yeh, took me a good 3 to 4 episodes of S1 to really start getting into it. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more second time around, as various things kinda dropped into place. Plus I'd got more used to the dialect by then :D

I'm enjoying these ones on the TV more on a second viewing for the same reason.

I only spotted the Polk Mahone joke last night for the first time, too.

I'm going to buy the box set. I don't really have the money, but I wants it. £80 isn't that bad (cheaper than my Homicide box set) and then I get to watch it lovingly at a sensible hour. This midnight taping malarky is doing my head in. (Mainly because I'm a bit of a freak and can't leave the tv plugged in overnight - had recent terrifying electricity problems - so set the alarm for half twelve to come down and switch everything off once it's finished recording. I can't keep that up for another 12 weeks or whatever it is!)

I'm waiting for them to come out on BRD - I'm sooooo tempted to get the DVDs, but I'm trying to upgrade my whole collection to Bluray so it'd be a bit pointless...

I'm waiting for them to come out on BRD - I'm sooooo tempted to get the DVDs, but I'm trying to upgrade my whole collection to Bluray so it'd be a bit pointless...

I've been waiting for ages to get it on DVD. Always been putting it off due to extreme lack of funds. I've still got an extreme lack of funds, but the BBC airing is tipping my hand.

What's the point? They were all shot in standard definition, you're not going to get any better quality :confused: Any bluray player will play DVD too.

What's the point? They were all shot in standard definition, you're not going to get any better quality :confused: Any bluray player will play DVD too.

Depends - some DVDs upscale really well, some don't. Nowt worse than paying for a DVD and watching it on a big screen and it looks little better than an avi...

That's one of my favourite moments. Carver lays into Boadie after he hits back and you see Greggs face and expect her to pull some liberal bullshit cause she's queer. But she starts kicking him harder than anyone.

No. They were shot on 35mm and mastered to SD. That means they can go back and make HD versions at some point.

That's one of my favourite moments. Carver lays into Boadie after he hits back and you see Greggs face and expect her to pull some liberal bullshit cause she's queer. But she starts kicking him harder than anyone.

Uhhh...

(((Bodie)))

Spittin' ragamuffins get my sympathy.

So which urbs are now shaking and sweating if they don't get their nightly (or hourly??) Wire-fix? ;) :cool:

Uhhh...

(((Bodie)))

Spittin' ragamuffins get my sympathy.

So which urbs are now shaking and sweating if they don't get their nightly (or hourly??) Wire-fix? ;) :cool:

No now the best bit is we get the Herc, Carver and Bodie show, starting next week.

No now the best bit is we get the Herc, Carver and Bodie show, starting next week.

Love their chemistry :)

I bought me the box set - all 5 seasons. Early birthday present to myself even though I shouldn't have spent the money. Very glad I did :)

Are there any Wireisms/ Baltimoreisms which have entered your vocabulary?

I just had to pull back from describing Carver as 'hot as balls!'

Are there any Wireisms/ Baltimoreisms which have entered your vocabulary?

I just had to pull back from describing Carver as 'hot as balls!'

Shitbird. Great insult.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, of course.

Others, I'm sure, that I can't remember. I'm a slave to the media though and a lot of phrases from various shows/adverts pepper my vocab.

"Thats how dey do" is another one. My partner is getting well sick of it :)

Is the effortless way that some characters are able to move in and out of street vernacular is unique to The Wire?

As Dave Chappelle tells it he 'speaks street AND job interview.'

One of my personal loves of the show is when a phrase you've heard on the street is later used by an adult you wouldnt expect to have heard it.

Thats the beauty of the language on the show, sometimes a phrase so perfectly encapsulates a concept that it moves up and down through the class divide.

Is this worthy of a new thread d'ya think? The examples I want to use are spoilers.

Or will a spoiler code do?

When I first got into The Wire I used to watch it for like four hours a day, spending the other 24 walking round talking like I was Bodie, unfortunately can't remember any slang at the mo. :(

The scene on last night's episode with D'angelo teaching Bodie to play chess was just perfect language-wise; writing convincing dialogue in such a complex dialect must be hard enough, but that was pure poetry.

I love watching it all again, without having to try so hard to keep up with the plotlines you appreciate just how finely crafted the show is on just about every level you can think of.

The scene on last night's episode with D'angelo teaching Bodie to play chess was just perfect language-wise; writing convincing dialogue in such a complex dialect must be hard enough, but that was pure poetry.

I love watching it all again, without having to try so hard to keep up with the plotlines you appreciate just how finely crafted the show is on just about every level you can think of.
*shivers*
Isnt it wonderful that *seasons* later you become aware just how much that seminal talk shaped Bodie's consciousness.
Its so delicately arced.

Back
Top Bottom