Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

Nah why bother? Just slap some putty in there.

The bullet was missed first time round cos the investigation was crap - pretty sure mcnulty & bunk discuss this, the original case file is very slim.

door swings shut, first cops assumed the woman was shot from an angle different to the one she was actually shot from, couldn't find the bullet (or even didn't realise it was missing, as they aint natural po-lice like McNulty and the Bunk)

Nah why bother? Just slap some putty in there.

The bullet was missed first time round cos the investigation was crap - pretty sure mcnulty & bunk discuss this, the original case file is very slim.
yup they do, before they enter the house. Before they start talking about Lester.

I can see how the hole was missed (the fridge door bounced off its hinges and shut after the impact). Just a little contrived that the bullett limped to the fridge with just enough left to lodge in the space between the inner and outer skin. I also wondered who filled in the hole given no one had used the apartment since and therefore there was no one to complain about the fridge . . .

OK, how about this; tap,tap,tap > tap, tap, tap > naked women comes into kitchen > naked women puts on light > naked woman OPENS FRIDGE DOOR > naked woman leaves door open > naked woman walks to window and peers our.

If someones knocking on your ground floor window in the middle of the night, do you go into the kitchen naked, put the light on, get a drink, leave the fridge door open, and then peer out the window?

pedantic, I know.

You'll be hooked by the end of episode 4 :)
Well i'm still not hooked! Admittedly episodes 3 and 4 were slightly better than the first two, but (April fools or not) I'm still of the opinion that this is a pretty standard US cop show with a slightly better than average script. Even the actor who plays McNulty on BBC Breakfast yesterday admitted it wasn't that good, saying "there's no pay off after each episode, you have to wait 13 episodes for the pay off."

Being a chess player, I quite enjoyed the chess description at the start of yesterday's episode, but I still think the language is a bit cliched - like how a middle-class scriptwriter who's listened to lots of JZ albums would imagine da Baltimore yoot speak.

Anyway, each to his own I say, and I now reluctantly agree that (so far) The Wire is marginally better than The Bill ;)

Even the actor who plays McNulty on BBC Breakfast yesterday admitted it wasn't that good, saying "there's no pay off after each episode, you have to wait 13 episodes for the pay off."

I dont think he was saying it wasnt that good when he said that, quite the opposite :D

Regular cop shows are like a dozen frenzied wanks in one day. Each one just like the last and leaves you feeling like you wasted your time. The wire is like hours and hours of sweet sweet tender lovin and is good for the soul :p

Being a chess player, I quite enjoyed the chess description at the start of yesterday's episode, but I still think the language is a bit cliched - like how a middle-class scriptwriter who's listened to lots of JZ albums would imagine da Baltimore yoot speak.

It's a way to go till Snoop appears in Series 4, but hopefully she'll be real enough for you. :)

Well i'm still not hooked! Admittedly episodes 3 and 4 were slightly better than the first two, but (April fools or not) I'm still of the opinion that this is a pretty standard US cop show with a slightly better than average script. Even the actor who plays McNulty on BBC Breakfast yesterday admitted it wasn't that good, saying "there's no pay off after each episode, you have to wait 13 episodes for the pay off."

Anyway, each to his own I say, and I now reluctantly agree that (so far) The Wire is marginally better than The Bill ;)

I'm shocked. I suppose there's always got to be an exception to the rule. You're wrong though... and I suspect trolling a little after that Dominic West quote :D

*shivers*
Isnt it wonderful that *seasons* later you become aware just how much that seminal talk shaped Bodie's consciousness.
Its so delicately arced.

The thing that made me shiver was episode 2, when bunk and mcnulty go and visit d'angelo about the witness who got capped. bodie: "he ain't have to testify". prophetic words, given what happens to him when he talks to the po-lice

Regular cop shows are like a dozen frenzied wanks in one day. Each one just like the last and leaves you feeling like you wasted your time. The wire is like hours and hours of sweet sweet tender lovin and is good for the soul :p
now that I can relate to - I guess my wire has just had a gentle fondle so far, and not much more yet....!

I'm shocked. I suppose there's always got to be an exception to the rule. You're wrong though... and I suspect trolling a little after that Dominic West quote :D
seriously, im not on a wind up at all, i guess i just like different things. Despite my criticisms I am giving it a chance and I will be watching it again tonight (assuming it's on) - I've only seen 4 episodes and you've all seen 4 series!

Can someone check hektiks second spoiler please and let me know if it refers to S5, cos I've yet to see S5

I add my own voice to this.

Im rubbish at saying goodbye to books I love and strangely the same has become true of a few shows.

As well as the ends of dozens of books, Ive not seen the final two BSG eps, the last Sopranos or much of S5 Wire :oops: I mostly know what happens, but I like to keep the anticipation and the sense that I always have some more to read.

Yes, I know its nuts, but even the satisfaction of completing a much loved book cant outweigh the sadness of knowing there will never be any more.

C'mon now, let's be nice and not put spoilers at all, eh? We're going to ruin someone's day eventually.

The scene on last night's episode with D'angelo teaching Bodie to play chess was just perfect language-wise; writing convincing dialogue in such a complex dialect must be hard enough, but that was pure poetry.

I love watching it all again, without having to try so hard to keep up with the plotlines you appreciate just how finely crafted the show is on just about every level you can think of.

*shivers*
Isnt it wonderful that *seasons* later you become aware just how much that seminal talk shaped Bodie's consciousness.
Its so delicately arced.

I had to pause the dvd at that point and take a little moment. Such a wonderfully written piece of dialogue, that chess scene. It's The Wire in a paragraph.

I'm spotting so much more this time around. It's nice to be able to see how little pieces of dialogue mean something in the grand scheme of things. Even to the extend of the "shit rolls down hill" comment. Obviously a good line first time around, but once you've seen it all I think you get a more rounded appreciation for even something as banal as that.

I'm trying to keep on schedule with what's on tv, will be watching episode 5 while eating tea in a bit, but as we all know, you can't stop at just the one. Now I've got the dvds I'm worried I'll have finished the lot in 2 weeks time :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom