Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

In case you didn't know, The Corner is released on R2 DVD Monday 6 April.

Ive had The Corner for two or three years, but avoided it till very recently. It didnt get the best reception amongst my Wire friends or even on here.

Ive now seen two eps and its very Homicide in look and its messing with my head watching the Wire cast in such wildly differing roles!
Its like watching a Repertory Company shift parts around.

How come the actor who played Dre didnt make it into the Wire Cast?

Despite most of them being based on real people...

It's always interesting commenting on the characterisation on the Wire, because most if it is barely fictionalised real life.
oh come on, we've got the renegade cop who plays fast and loose with the rules, we've got the hard bitten chief cop who plays it hard and straight, the deadbeats and low rents, the gangsta with a heart, the drug lord who is a nice guy in public, etc etc.

i'm not saying i haven't enjoyed it, but its hardly the most ground breaking premise for a cop show in that sense tbh. the story is what is driving it at the moment.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks The Wire is crap?

I can't understand what the fuss is all about.

Various people have been on at me for ages about how good it is, so I made time to watch the first two episodes on BBC2. My immediate impression from the cliched title sequence was "another crap US cop show". The music sucks and the 1990s titles/graphics laid over close ups of drugs, guns and flashing blue lights reminds me of an undergraduate doing a poor imitation of CSI Miami or something. (Is it supposed to be a cliche??!)

There's little real character development other than in the most superficial sense - in fact, the characters are not at all convincing and little more than cliches in most places. The plot is pedestrian and unexciting. The dialogue is cliched and peppered with unnecssary swearing to make it sound "cool" - in fact the dialogue is rarely clever or witty.

Stylistically there's little flair or creativity in terms of shot selection, editing, sound etc and no real difference to a thousand other cop shows or drama shows out there. I've heard people say things like "this is the best cop show in a generation..." but this looks like overhyped PR to me.

The only thing it really seems to have going for it is the fact that its a cop drama focusing on the people and the effects of crime on them, rather than on car chases and explosions etc. But even this doesnt work for me because the characters are not realistic or believeable. I guess the first two episodes may be laying the foundations for some wonderful drawn out narrative development, but I cant really see it myself. If this is really the best people are coming up with at the moment then something's going wrong.

This series has none of the excitement and energy of 24, none of the style of Heroes, none of the mystery and intrigue of Lost. I found this programme mildly interesting at best and, while I'm happy to be proved wrong if there's some sudden change in quality, at the moment I think it's utter bollocks and the most over-hyped tv show i can remember!

:)

Various people have been on at me for ages about how good it is, so I made time to watch the first two episodes on BBC2. My immediate impression from the cliched title sequence was "another crap US cop show". The music sucks and the 1990s titles/graphics laid over close ups of drugs, guns and flashing blue lights reminds me of an undergraduate doing a poor imitation of CSI Miami or something. (Is it supposed to be a cliche??!)

There's little real character development other than in the most superficial sense - in fact, the characters are not at all convincing and little more than cliches in most places. The plot is pedestrian and unexciting. The dialogue is cliched and peppered with unnecssary swearing to make it sound "cool" - in fact the dialogue is rarely clever or witty.

Stylistically there's little flair or creativity in terms of shot selection, editing, sound etc and no real difference to a thousand other cop shows or drama shows out there. I've heard people say things like "this is the best cop show in a generation..." but this looks like overhyped PR to me.

The only thing it really seems to have going for it is the fact that its a cop drama focusing on the people and the effects of crime on them, rather than on car chases and explosions etc. But even this doesnt work for me because the characters are not realistic or believeable. I guess the first two episodes may be laying the foundations for some wonderful drawn out narrative development, but I cant really see it myself. If this is really the best people are coming up with at the moment then something's going wrong.

This series has none of the excitement and energy of 24, none of the style of Heroes, none of the mystery and intrigue of Lost. I found this programme mildly interesting at best and, while I'm happy to be proved wrong if there's some sudden change in quality, at the moment I think it's utter bollocks and the most over-hyped tv show i can remember!

Shit, he's right, I've been an idiot. Thanks for opening my eyes.

As has been said a million times, the show is not episodic in nature and a lot of people aren't gripped in the first few episodes. And yes it is laying the groundwork for a grand narrative.

This series has none of the excitement and energy of 24, none of the style of Heroes, none of the mystery and intrigue of Lost.

:eek: :D :eek: :D

dear god, there's no hope for you with your love of utterly cliched grossly over-cgi'd action over drama programmes.

must be the english Johnny Canuck :)

Unbefuckenleavable.

Mr Hatter - it's too soon. This is more of a book experience than a 60 minute tv cops and robbers experience.

It's understandable you're choosing entertainment like 24 as a comparison because that's, instinctively, the right route, but it's not in this case.

As has been said a million times, the show is not episodic in nature and a lot of people aren't gripped in the first few episodes. And yes it is laying the groundwork for a grand narrative.

it is kinda amusing tho, to expect significant character development in the first two episodes (especially when being introduced to about twenty characters), or to expect up to the minute visual style in an eight year old programme. It's a shame BH doesn't understand the language tho :(

Lost, 24, Heroes? Not really comparable. Watch more, give it time. It is not a typical US cop show.

I'm happy to give it a few more episodes but on this evidence I might have something better to do with my life in a few days! I'm not a big TV watcher and I generally avoid most mainstream shows but I will go out of my way to watch something that's thoughtful and well crafted - unfortunately it doesn't seem like the Wire atm.

Think of all the wicked things people have done in recent years with TV shows - playing with style and form, use of special effects, use of new production techniques, brilliant characterisation etc etc - The Wire has none of these.

Give me some reasons - any reason - why this is any better than The Bill?

:D

Stick with it. It broadens out like you wouldn't believe.

Think of all the wicked things people have done in recent years with TV shows - playing with style and form, use of special effects, use of new production techniques, brilliant characterisation etc etc - The Wire has none of these.
Oh, I see.

2/10 I guess.

Originally Posted by Brixton Hatter
This series has none of the excitement and energy of 24, none of the style of Heroes, none of the mystery and intrigue of Lost.

:eek: :D :eek: :D

dear god, there's no hope for you with your love of utterly cliched grossly over-cgi'd action over drama programmes.
he he, I dont "love" those programmes - they're just examples of where people have done something different or compelling. (In fact I dont even watch Lost.) I just want to see quality TV and The Wire simply doesn't seem to justify the hype at the moment - which is probably why it's been put on in the less risky slot of 11.20pm.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong!

(And I understand the language perfectly well BTW!)

Would it be better if McNulty was actually a vampire, feeding on the blood of the drug addicts, and so become an addict himself (twice! to blood and drugs! now that's a ratings winner!)?

Dont be fucking stupid. Not one of the progrqammes you mentioned had 'brilliant' characterisation, nor dialogue, quite the opposite in fact.

Watch a few more episodes, watch characters actually grow rather than being fed drugs that cause complete character changes every other episode, and learn a few things about the complexities of the yankee drug trade, and how people get into it.

If you seriously thnk it is no different to the Bill, then just dont bother.

Hmm, people are quite defensive about this! It must get fucking good quite soon.

Would it be better if McNulty was actually a vampire, feeding on the blood of the drug addicts, and so become an addict himself (twice! to blood and drugs! now that's a ratings winner!)?
er, no. That's generally the shit I dont bother watching.

I'm happy to give it a few more episodes but on this evidence I might have something better to do with my life in a few days! I'm not a big TV watcher and I generally avoid most mainstream shows but I will go out of my way to watch something that's thoughtful and well crafted - unfortunately it doesn't seem like the Wire atm.

Only clever people like The Wire

It's been utterly dull so far, nothing new or even slightly innovative. The same trite US plod characterisations and themes, white Irish cops, a few rogue cops and black drug dealers in the projects. Is it the 1980's again? Will have to keep watching to see if it gets interesting. The same was said about Hill Street Blues however which wasn't well received at all at first. If The Wire even manages to poke it's neb out from under HSB shadow it might be worth persevering with.

Hmm, people are quite defensive about this! It must get fucking good quite soon.

think it's shit and turn it off if you like, obviously. your loss, But pleeeease, dont compare it with The bleedin' Bill, or utter tosh like Lost, or any of that other style over substance nonsence.

BH is double bluffing. Bare trolling!

Special effects?! :D :D Interactive 3D screens to task satellites! Yaysss!

It's been utterly dull so far, nothing new or even slightly innovative. The same trite US plod characterisations and themes, white Irish cops, a few rogue cops and black drug dealers in the projects. Is it the 1980's again? Will have to keep watching to see if it gets interesting. The same was said about Hill Street Blues however which wasn't well received at all at first. If The Wire even manages to poke it's neb out from under HSB shadow it might be worth persevering with.

Keep watching, though that was my initial reaction to the first few episodes when I saw them (I hought it compared unfavourable with the great Homicide). I think with hindsight theres more going on but I suspect some of those who were hooked from the start arent as familiar with the American cop show genre as I am ;)

Back
Top Bottom