Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trip -- new Coogan/Brydon vehicle

Yep, a lot to recommend it. I belatedly twigged how significant to the overall feel were the phone calls to the 'outside world' - the world beyond this road trip mid-life blokey odd couple . . . thing. The whole thing flew past.

I've been to a few parties in "Steve's flat". One before the owner had fitted it out, just a bare concrete shell with some festive graf on the walls, with a toilet only 'shielded' by a curtain. It was like the most super-deluxe squat party ever. He's done a nice job of it by the looks of things. It was used in the last series of Spooks too.

The Jam Factory... home to a few urbs over the years.

I've just watched the last episode and thought the whole thing was brilliant. Best thing on tv for ages.

I avoided reading this thread while it was on and I think my enjoyment was enhanced for it. Lesson for the future: no more reading on Urban about stuff I haven't seen.

Its returning! This time, in Italy

Season two, The Trip to Italy, presents a similar, if sunnier, scenario: a food tour from Liguria to Capri, via Rome and Pompeii and Ravello, again on behalf of the Observer. This time, though, there has been a shift in the pair's relationship: where the first series chose Coogan as its focus, this time it is Brydon who's reviewing the restaurants and finds his life in flux – his career in ascendance, his marriage at sea.

Steve-Coogan-and-Rob-Bryd-001.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/18/steve-coogan-rob-brydon-trip-to-italy

That was the worst thing I've ever seen on TV. Lasted about 10 minutes and that was largely coz i couldnt reach the remote. What a pair of self-indulgent cunts. Just embarrassing. And you, the license fee payer, is footing the bill for these dicks to do this. Awful, beyond awful.

edit: oh, just seen, the Observer is footing a lot of the bill. Even better. I assume there'll be some plush spreads in the magazine to go with this bullshit.

Funny, but so far lacks the pathos of series 1
I agree, but they've laid some ground work for later pathos - Coogan's cancelled US stuff, for instance. IRRC, the pathos in series 1 was built up over the weeks.

ETA: and Coogan's going to start drinking at some point, I reckon.

Last edited:
I can see why gabi hated it. V v self-indulgent but I forgive it cos it is funny.
They are a terrible pair of cunts though

I agree, but they've laid some ground work for later pathos - Coogan's cancelled US stuff, for instance. IRRC, the pathos in series 1 was built up over the weeks.
Yeah, it's certainly a slow burner, but you could already see it in this episode.

ETA: and Coogan's going to start drinking at some point, I reckon.
And that you could see from fucking miles away ;)

'Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life. '

Liked that Byron quote at the end. The miserable cunt that I am. :D

This is one of my favorite things I've ever seen, I've watched it several times over the past few years.
It has everything, all the elements of a good story.
It's riveting enough that I find new things in it each time I watch it, yet comforting enough that I find it to be a great cure for my insomnia when all else fails. :)

In the US it's packaged as a movie rather than a series. I scratched my head a bit when I realized it was created as a series, wondering how it was broken up, originally.
Is there a link to watch the series as individual episodes, particularly the new ones?

Getting better again. Not the absolutely hilarious wet yourself laughs of the first series, but they're getting some of the character bits spot on.

Back
Top Bottom