Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trip -- new Coogan/Brydon vehicle

this program is funny and the gentle nature of its internal plot is amusing and done with real flair. But in the end I only watch for the michael caine impressions.

Thought the last episode was the weakest in terms of comedy but still really beautifully shot and directed.

Rob Brydon as a lead in a Michael Mann film was perhaps stretching the reality element just slightly to far.

really enjoyed it again, and as has been said, beautifully shot. I thought Coogan's awkwardness around the son he obviously loves, but has probably only seen sporadically for years, was excellent.

Guess what, Steve Coogan doesn't actually have a teenage son,
I think he does, actually. Somewhere around teenage anyway.

Whatever's....I really enjoyed the last episode, less comedic than the first series, but better interpersonal interactions. The godfather impersonations were great and there was some genuine human pathos. Can't see it making a third series tho.

I liked the second series, but it did feel a bit like it didn't really have a reason for existing. The first series operated as a story entire unto itself; this second series was a combination of retreading old ground and trying to crowbar new bits into something that was already perfect as it was. Any third series would just exacerbate the problem.

I liked the second series, but it did feel a bit like it didn't really have a reason for existing. The first series operated as a story entire unto itself; this second series was a combination of retreading old ground and trying to crowbar new bits into something that was already perfect as it was. Any third series would just exacerbate the problem.
I'd still watch it for the Michael Caine impressions though.

The casual sexism of this series and lack of any female characters with minds and wit of their own has really started to grate on my nerves though.

Just caught up with the series having enjoyed the 1st a lot... my thoughts are a bit rambley...

its an unusal show to get to grips with - just how much is the writing an expression of who they really are? Like Miss C says, all the letchyness and sexism is uncomfortable - i think its either a deliberate attempt to make themselves look bad (they arent playing themselves but characters based on themselves), or one of those 'we're just being honest' bits.

There are a few moments that are there to really make them look spoiled and conceited, particularly Steve Coogan, such as when he talks about a Jaguars chair cooling system as an essential, or his competitiveness about awards and fame. How much of these characters are true to them and how much are part of the characterisations is hard to unpick. In fact the whole premise of them swanning around Italy eating hugely expensive meals and getting paid for it makes them unlikable off the bat (at ours at least). Every episode starts with Steve grumbling about flying first class.

There was a definite story ark over the six episodes...the first 3 episodes are all quite melancholy, the two of them driving each other increasingly a bit mad, the point seems to be that theyre both lonely and unhappy in different ways and the constant riffing can sometimes be a distraction from that, but other times feels very hollow. Thats an unusal way to present comedy to an audience, where even the comedians are questioning why they are doing it and finding it a bit pathetic.

The mood changed in episode 4 when the assistant and photographer arrive, and all of a sudden theyve got an audience to do their gags to. They are much happier as a result, and that melancholy mood from the first 3 lifts. I got from that how people like them desperately need an audience for their own happiness.

Then with Steve Coogans character it gets taken further in that his search for happiness cant be found anymore with one night stands but in a more meaningful relationship with his slightly estranged son.

based on all that I think The Trip is a metaphor for their search for happiness...their trips through life...and as part of that they've exposed and exaggerated their own character flaws (especially so for Steve).

Anyhow, i really rate this show, great natural acting from the whole cast, some fantastic improvised bits in there too, and some things to think about and engage with along the way. On top of that I think Michael Winterbottom is probably the best living british director.

Above all it made me want a holiday. Have never been to Italy - looks incredible.

Last edited:
based on all that I think The Trip is a metaphor for their search for happiness...their trips through life...and as part of that they've exposed and exaggerated their own character flaws (especially so for Steve).

I thought it was mostly about mortality, theirs and ours. Alas poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest.

Ms Invita reckons if theres a series 3 it would be a US road trip
That's what I thought! with them falling out big time.

I think its really well pitched, especially Coogan - being spoiled and vain, but both jealous of eachother....I love it when he get all up himself about technology like the jag, sounds like a little boy - all very deliberate, and placed just right in the 'is he really like that?' type of space.

Just caught up with the series having enjoyed the 1st a lot... my thoughts are a bit rambley...

its an unusal show to get to grips with - just how much is the writing an expression of who they really are? Like Miss C says, all the letchyness and sexism is uncomfortable - i think its either a deliberate attempt to make themselves look bad (they arent playing themselves but characters based on themselves), or one of those 'we're just being honest' bits.

There are a few moments that are there to really make them look spoiled and conceited, particularly Steve Coogan, such as when he talks about a Jaguars chair cooling system as an essential, or his competitiveness about awards and fame. How much of these characters are true to them and how much are part of the characterisations is hard to unpick. In fact the whole premise of them swanning around Italy eating hugely expensive meals and getting paid for it makes them unlikable off the bat (at ours at least). Every episode starts with Steve grumbling about flying first class.

There was a definite story ark over the six episodes...the first 3 episodes are all quite melancholy, the two of them driving each other increasingly a bit mad, the point seems to be that theyre both lonely and unhappy in different ways and the constant riffing can sometimes be a distraction from that, but other times feels very hollow. Thats an unusal way to present comedy to an audience, where even the comedians are questioning why they are doing it and finding it a bit pathetic.

The mood changed in episode 4 when the assistant and photographer arrive, and all of a sudden theyve got an audience to do their gags to. They are much happier as a result, and that melancholy mood from the first 3 lifts. I got from that how people like them desperately need an audience for their own happiness...

see, while I *get* this, it still keeps irking me that every time a female character has been in a scene she has primarily or exclusively been to serve as an audience to Brydon/ Coogan. This is what bothers me most, more than the obvious letchyness you mention :D
We saw a little bit more of Emma's (Steve's agent) personality in the last episode....finally.

...adding to that...despite how out-of-place I found the Alanis Morissette theme, I did notice that she became the most fully developed female character in the series so far :D

Weirdly I was only listening to that album a few days before I tuned into this whilst doing a lot of travelling. It's still a good record almost 20 years on.

see, while I *get* this, it still keeps irking me that every time a female character has been in a scene she has primarily or exclusively been to serve as an audience to Brydon/ Coogan. This is what bothers me most, more than the obvious letchyness you mention :D
We saw a little bit more of Emma's (Steve's agent) personality in the last episode....finally.
i agree completely....the question is
-is this series an earnest take about being a middle-aged, famous man, written and directed by middle-aged famous men
-or is it in some way a knowing and deliberate send up of that life
-or even a bit of both of the above

i dont know if you know but Steve Coogan has a history of endless cocaine binges and sex with prostitutes etc - i didnt follow the details, but the press definitely ran lots of pieces on that... i think it may also have involved cheating on partners etc etc etc. To some extent his portrayal of himself in this show is turned down from that reality. Whether hes moved on from that life I also don't know.

Yeah I've watched it all. Underwhelming opening but it finds its feet fairly soon after the first episode. Possibly not quite up to par with previous series but entertaining nonetheless. More of the same, basically.

The second episode of the new series was brilliant, maybe one of the funniest in all three series. The rest were good, but as a whole the series wasn't as funny as the other two. I did like the odd ending though.

I would be quite happy to sit through three more series.

Just re-watching the first series again, sat in the Lakes not far from Holbeck Ghyll :D, with my Dad.

It's brilliant.

This time around I'm really digging the "love song" for the North that the filming is.

Back
Top Bottom